Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:31 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
New struts are in! But...

Okay so here the situation, got new aluminum alloy oleo struts very very nice (wish fms would do em like these...hint hint Aros) and the stock wheels are too large. How scale are the stock wheel size (3.75") to the plane? Are they too large, too small, perfectly scaled? Reason being is now I either have to junk my new struts or use a smaller wheel 3.15". Dilemmas dilemmas!
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:02 PM
EPO Lover
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
That could be interesting. I used clear pkg tape on the dash because after sanding the bumps down, they became pits and the alum tape contours to every bump and crevice like a mould.
shirestw is offline Find More Posts by shirestw
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:16 PM
EPO Lover
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
(Quote) New struts are in! But...

Okay so here the situation, got new aluminum alloy oleo struts very very nice (wish fms would do em like these...hint hint Aros) and the stock wheels are too large. How scale are the stock wheel size (3.75") to the plane? Are they too large, too small, perfectly scaled? Reason being is now I either have to junk my new struts or use a smaller wheel 3.15". Dilemmas dilemmas! (Quote)

Man, that's a tough one. I just looked at the scale p51 and compared to the 1700mm and they look pretty darn close. But like I said earlier, there are already so many scale discrepancies on the FMS, it ain't funny. I guess it all boils down to what you can accept.
Last edited by shirestw; Apr 09, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirestw View Post
That could be interesting. I used clear pkg tape on the dash because after sanding the bumps down, they became pits and the alum tape contours to every bump and crevice like a mould.
didn't think about that... Well might not look good after all with no painting the aluminum.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:51 PM
EPO Lover
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Did u figure out what to do with the wheels?
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
No, when I get home later today. I have 3" & 3.25" hangar 9 pro-lite wheels at home bit they dont have scale hubs, so there's another problem. Once I figure out what size wheels I'm going to use then I'll buy wheels with scale hubs. If it looks awkward with smaller wheels I'll be ditching the struts, but man they are soooo nice! Kinda bummed...sigh!
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:41 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,644 Posts
Can the struts be modded? In a proper manner (sometimes you just can't). I assume it is just the length at issue.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
That what I was trying figure out also, but they are solid alloy. I'll post pics and c if anyone can give input to mod them. Basically the portion of the strut that holds the wheel axle needs 2 be extended 1/2" to allow the axle to sit lower & a larger wheel used. So not sure if modding can be done, but like I said I'll take ideas.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:52 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,006 Posts
Hello,
Looking to buy the latest version of the 1700mm version FMS P51, where is the best place to order? Also, are there still any major mods needed with the latest version?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Mike
Hossinarizona is online now Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Dec 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Hello,
Looking to buy the latest version of the 1700mm version FMS P51, where is the best place to order? Also, are there still any major mods needed with the latest version?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Mike
Issues with latest Version - Main and tail wheel retract electrical and mechanical failures - Also still issues with ribbon cables potentially - FMS diligently working problems - E-Flight 60-120 best alternate (Do not run through ribbon cable!) IMHO

rc-castle.com (Hong Kong/China) + shipping 100.00+ Great post sale customer Svc

PW-RC.com (Hong Kong/China) + shipping 100.00+ Great post sale customer Svc

Banana Hobby USA - Free shipping - Suspect Customer Service after sale if needed
Letsmakeadeal is offline Find More Posts by Letsmakeadeal
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal; Apr 09, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:41 PM
United States, CA, Yosemite Lakes
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Well just got in my Gens Ace 5300 batts
For those interested. All I had to do to get them to fit was remove about 4 or 5 mm of foam on either side of the battery bay and dropped right in. There is alot of room between the battery and the canopy to adjust for CG. id say like 30 mm or so of adjustment backwards. Hope it needs back and not forward :P
scribble007 is offline Find More Posts by scribble007
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:58 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble007 View Post
Well just got in my Gens Ace 5300 batts
For those interested. All I had to do to get them to fit was remove about 4 or 5 mm of foam on either side of the battery bay and dropped right in. There is alot of room between the battery and the canopy to adjust for CG. id say like 30 mm or so of adjustment backwards. Hope it needs back and not forward :P
Flys great on those....mine is about 12 minutes heavy flying on those....it will ballance nose heavy with those batteries all the way fwd....dont wory about it and flys great that way.

Be sure to condition those before hard use.
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:16 AM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Flys great on those....mine is about 12 minutes heavy flying on those....it will ballance nose heavy with those batteries all the way fwd....dont wory about it and flys great that way.

Be sure to condition those before hard use.
Howdy,
When you say "Condition" what exactly do you mean? I know Lipos in general take a little to break in, but is there a special way to do it best?
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,006 Posts
One more question, how many versions are there of the FMS 1700mm P51?
Thanks again,
Mike
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,790 Posts
Watch out for those Sky Lipos and Gens Ace. They put metal plates on top and bottom to hide the puffiness. I heard there cheap lipos.
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis