SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:06 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Discussion
11th Annual Modesto Electric Fun Fly, Sunday October 9th, 2011

Hard to believe it was eleven years ago when we held our first "official" electric fun fly. The event will be held at the Modesto Reservoir on highway 132 about 22 miles east of Modesto. The runway is a dirt runway and will be fixed up once again for this event (Currently some ground squirrels have claimed it as there own.). We welcome all AMA members and any legal electric. If you have a float plane bring it out as we have water right behind our field in the reservoir. Events include 25 loops in the quickest time. Balloon pop which is not as easy as it sounds. Limbo and All Up Last Down with up to a one minute motor run. Pilots are free to come up with ideas. We will have tacos available for lunch with water and soda available to drink. Our flying site is a county park and they charge vehicle admission and we charge pilots $10.00 for the event. I know that is kinda of steep but we like to scare away the riff raff.
Bring a good attitude and a bunch of planes and see the world's smallest electric fun fly in person. The event starts at sunrise but most people show up between 8:30 and 9:00. The last event is at 2:00 and it is the AULD.
Sunday, October 9th. Modesto reservoir, electric fun fly. Set your watches and see you there. Michael Heer Contest Director and squirrel tamer.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:57 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
In response to a PM: Any pilot is welcome to bring items to sell or swap. No additional charge from us. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
I will be going out to work on the runway this Saturday to see how much damage the squirrels have actually have done this year. We will get her ready but will keep you advised of the runway's condition. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:19 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
I will be getting helium balloons the morning of the event so they will be good to go for the plane take out ... I mean balloon pop. I will be asking our serious soaring pilots to do a lunch time demonstration of their altitude motor shut off devices but the main soaring event remains the All Up Last Down 1 minute motor run contest. 25 loops in the fastest time with all of us counting, limbo and a bomb drop from a cup taped to the plane competition. Will post a picture of the runway after I work on it this Saturday morning.
Remember to bring floats as we have a reservoir behind our field and I have a duck that snag and grab float planes as needed. Mike Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:39 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,204 Posts
Hi Michael !! My names Jerry , I'm from Chico. You sound like a fun guy!! Someone after my own heart!!! I have a question for you: is this mainly for motorized sailplanes?? Or any type of electric??? I used to fly only high performance sailplanes ( thermal and slope) many year ago, but now I mainly fly electric foamies my hangar : PZ Extra 300,PZ Messerschmidt with a apprentice motor turning a 12x10 apc prop, PZ corsair powered by e flite power 10, PZ Habu , PZ radian PRO with 12x7 aeronaught prop, Flyzone 58in wingspan Cessna Corvalis, e flite p-40, and my most recent favorite : PZ Spitfire MK9 using elite pro 40amp ESC with 20deg motor timing, running the PZ extra 300 prop,,, goes faster than greased snot!!! And of course it's outfitted with the Elite retracts, and last but not least my little sky angel f18 edf 20 in wingspan 80mph. I'm doing a fun fly myself tomorrow from 10-3 at Marsh Junior high in Chico,,, there'll be FREE food and drinks, no admission of any kind. Just show up with your planes. We're gona have ALL types of electrics there including helis. If your interested in going, it's real easy to get there, come hiwghy 99 to Chico, turn off at hiwghy 32 right after 20th ST exit, go right or east on 32, go about 1/2 mile to first stoplight, turn left, at very next street ( Humboldt) turn left, go about 3blks to Marsh Jr High, go past from of school, to first turn in, go to back where the huge grass field is. We have very large grass field with a short asphault strip. I'm driving down to see my parents in Palm Springs Weekend of your event, so I'm planning on stopping by on my way down.
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:31 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,204 Posts
Can you give me directions to get there from Chico Michael

Jerry
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:40 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
This is for all electrics Jerry. We have a dirt runway and a separate nice watered grassy area where sailplanes can land. We have a reservoir right behind us for float planes and such.

Directions Take 99 south to Modesto. Take 132 east through Waterford to the Modesto Reservoir take the right fork after the entrance both to the park and we are just north of the boat ramp. You can't miss us that morning.

132 is very messy in Modesto and I will post more detailed street directs with the city streets on Sunday. I suggest you simply get Google directions from home to the Modesto Reservoir on highway 132. I hope you make it to the event. You should feel right at home. Mike Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:56 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
I worked on the runway this weekend and I hopefully have set her up for Mother Nature to help with the rain predicted starting tonight through Wednesday. I removed the little plants and weeds popping through the runway and filled in many of the squirrel holes and cracks with bits of dirt. The rain will hopefully dissolve the little bits and fill in to some extent the holes and cracks. I had no trouble flying my new ParkZone Spitfire but not sure I would have wanted to land a EDF with small wheels. Next Sunday is supposed to be a high of 81 and Sunny. Will post 132 directions later today. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:48 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Directions coming from points to the north of Modesto:

On 99 South take exit 225B for Tuolumne Blvd toward B street
Turn left onto Tuolumne Blvd
Continue onto B street
Turn left onto 9th street
Take right onto D street
Slight right onto East Yosemite Blvd AKA Highway 132
Stay on 132 for 17 miles through Waterford to the Modesto Reservoir on the left
After the entrance booth take the left at the fork in the road
Turn right on dirt road after the cattle guard and park to the east of the runway

LUNCH will be available: Two tacos, a burrito some chips and soda for $5.00. Lunch must be ordered by 11:30.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:28 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
We got the rain last night as predicted. Hopefully Mother Nature has helped smooth out our runway for this Sunday's event. . Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:41 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Weather forecast is for a near perfect fall day with a high of about 80 degrees and sunshine all day. Remember we are seeking only limited participation: Those wanting to fly for fun. I will see the fun seekers on Sunday. Mike Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:31 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,204 Posts
What's the earliest I can be there???
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:49 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,204 Posts
Had a great time today Michael , our local Oroville club is having a big fun fly whole weekend this coming weekend ,, water is only couple hundred feet away for floatplanes. Gona be a big raffle too!!! Hundreds and hundreds in prizes donated by several local hobby stores. There'll be gas and electric planes. Oroville little closer than Chico,, they have to asphalt paved strips. East west runway is 300ft and north south runway 200ft. If you want directions let me know,, people from all over nor cal will be there. I'm planning on being there Sunday 17th on may way BACK from palm springs in afternoon. If you go to their web site : Oroville air corps,,, you can get all info,, cost is $10.00
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:54 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,204 Posts
Here's their web site :
http://www.oroaircorps.com/
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:55 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,204 Posts
It's a very very nice field with workstations, restrooms ,, and water very close, and right off highway 99 about 1 mile off Wilbur road