SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:21 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,306 Posts
Flying Wire Springs

Here are some photos of the flying wires installed with springs. The springs I used are pretty close to giving me the tension I was looking for. We will see how they work when I do some taxi testing.
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:28 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,306 Posts
Servo Mounting Holes

The servo mounting holes in the wing and in the servo tray inside the plane were sized for a different brand of servo. I had to add some plywood mounting blocks to allow the use of Hitec Mini servos.

The other photo shows the rubber pad (not supplied with kit) under the wheel pant. this allows some lateral movement of the wheel pant vs hard mounting to the wing.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:42 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,306 Posts
Holes in the wing

A piece of covering is removed from the horizontal stabilizer to allow it to be glued in place. A piece of this covering can be used to cover the gear mounting holes in the left wing (perfect match). I just used a piece of white scrap Monocote to cover the other holes - better than nothing.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:15 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Looking good !
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:36 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,306 Posts
Final Assembly

Well, I got the ESC and motor mounted and did a trial fit of the cowl, prop and spinner. Looks awesome! All that is left is to mount the receiver and make a battery tray.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:52 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Good job Ifly - I really like some of the improvement you have added. I like them cause they are SO simple but I cant see how they can not help so big up here !!

Now I expect I may well be joined in my very exclusive " Successful R3 Pilots club " ! Its very lonely here...

On your maiden.. you will really be amazed at how much rudder you will need to make nice smooth coordinated turns. The first flight ( maiden video ) you will see how flat my first terns are. I get into the grove later. Happy to provide you some maiden tips if helpful ?

Good luck
G
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:22 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,083 Posts
I agree Ifly, great job and can't wait for the maiden. I ordered an outrunner for mine so I could swing a bigger prop. I hope to have mine flying soon.

Mark
MarkF is online now Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:22 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
I agree Ifly, great job and can't wait for the maiden. I ordered an outrunner for mine so I could swing a bigger prop. I hope to have mine flying soon.

Mark
Hope to see your flight report soon! BTW, my AUW (weight) with battery came up to 8.33 pounds - almost exactly that same as G-force.

NOTE: I posted some additional info on my blog for others who are building this model.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
Battery Puffer
Joined Nov 2001
1,083 Posts
I will be ready for the remaiden this Sunday.

Mark
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:29 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Great Job and I hope " Pamela " has a safe first flight ! Dont forget your video camera. Good luck
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
Battery Puffer
Joined Nov 2001
1,083 Posts
Your the first person to ever recognize Pamela. She's been in many planes over the years. This will be her fourth.

Mark
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:11 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
I have her " twin sister " in a Yak :-)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:33 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
I will be ready for the remaiden this Sunday.

Mark
so how did you go Mark ??
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:59 PM
Battery Puffer
Joined Nov 2001
1,083 Posts
It didn't go to well. The elevator is warped and causing strange flight habits. I got it down in one piece but it's acting very strange. Also there's to much down thrust in the motor. It will fly strait at half throttle but head for the ground at full. I will have to remove the elevator and see if I can get the twist out. It's so bad that a heat gun will never move it enough. I will get this sorted out but what a pain it's going to be.

Mark
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Dam Mark, well good job for getting her down to do the refinements needed. The thrust issue is easy and quick ( as you know ) but with regards to the warped elevator. Are you sure its actually warped ? Reason I ask this is I to had an issue on the first flight where any back pressure resulted in a climb to the right... Not to a very worrying level but I discovered upon closer inspection that there was slightly higher deflection on the left side than the right causing a right pitch in climb. The Y elevator rod ( which Im not a massive fan off ) is really pretty hard to get spot on. Mine is still not 100% but manageable so Ill leave it at that.