SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:39 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,533 Posts
Show and tell !! Come on Ifly show em how its flys ! Tell em how good it is... ( I should not talk I have 3 on the bench as we speak )
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:45 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forced View Post
Show and tell !! Come on Ifly show em how its flys ! Tell em how good it is... ( I should not talk I have 3 on the bench as we speak )
Our club meetings are very dry and booring so we try to get someone to do a "show-and-tell' on a current/new project. It makes the meetings less sterile.

I would never try to maiden a plane at a club event! I always go out when nobody is there to make me more nervous.

There is no rush to get this plane in the air. I have plenty of planes to fly in the mean time.
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:10 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,533 Posts
That why Im not a member of a club ! They are just too boring and restrictive. Also I have my own airstrip ! Cant beat that !
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:01 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,342 Posts
Build Photo - Vic

She is starting to look like an R3! Got the rudder and ailerons attached. Hooked up the pull-pull on the rudder. Long ways to go yet. Just thought I would show-and-tell .
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:33 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,342 Posts
Speed Check

Not actually relate to the Gee Bee R3, but a guy came to our field with a radar speed device to check the speed of a member's small foamy jet. We all check the speeds of our planes. the little foamy EDF came in first at 112 MPH. I had my Lancair that day and it clocked in at 91 MPH on a high speed level flight run. I could have gone faster in a dive but that was fast enough for me as I had not flown it at WOT except for take-offs. That OS motor rocks!

I don't know what speeds I will get with the Gee Bee R3, but 90+ MPH is pretty darn fast for an old fart like me.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:15 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,342 Posts
Flying wires

On a hard landing where both wheels do not touch down at the same time, the gear will move either to the left or right. When the gear moves sideways, it pulls on the flying wire attached to the fuse or wing. The "hard point" attachments at the fuse and wing are not very strong and could be damaged. To help with the potential damage from this situation, I am going to install springs on the flying wires as shown in the attached drawing.

I am a good flyer and pride myself in how well I land my planes (mostly greased landings). However, I have been know to make some "not so pretty" landings that have resulted in considerable damage to the fuse as the landing gear failed to support my errors.

I have seen several videos of "good" pilots landing this Gee Bee R3 and they were not perfect landings. I may not be able to perform landings as good as they did. Therefore, I am trying to protect the plane from a situation where I may not perform a greased landing.

Just another modification to the somewhat poor design of the this model.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:35 AM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,128 Posts
I like that idea. Let us know when you get it figured out.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:37 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,342 Posts
Landing Gear Installation

Holy Batsticks! You need 18 small fingers to install this landing gear! It looks like the following steps:
  1. Install the wheels on the axles with the flying wire clips.
  2. Attach the flying wires to the clips.
  3. Insert the landing gear into the wheel pants.
  4. Pull the flying wires through the holes in the sides of the wheel pants.
  5. Meticulously insert the landing gear into the mounting holes in the wing. What a bit**.
  6. Attach the straps to the gear (in the wing)
  7. Attach the wheel pants to the wing.
  8. Attach the flying wires to the hard points in the wing.

Any tips on getting these steps done OR another way to do it?
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:20 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,342 Posts
Flying Wire Springs

Here are a couple of springs I have to choose from. The spring on the left is 1/4" dia x 3/4" long. The spring on the right is a 1/8" dia x 1 1/16" long spring. My first thoughts were to attach the spring to the tab on the gear. However, that would require that the hole in the wheel pant to be enlarged or centered. The stock installation of the wire to the tab can be used if the springs are attached to the wing and fuse. Either of these springs will work - its just a matter of aesthetics (looks).

These are not your everyday flimsy coil springs. They have about a 9-12 lb weight limit with a pull rate of about 8-11 lb/inch - .035 music wire. A smaller spring would just flex and not provide the desired amount of support.

These springs are quite pricy if ordered from a spring supply company ($3-$5 each). One company wanted $7.01 each plus shipping. I found them at a local hardware store for around $1.00 each. So a set of eight springs costs about $8.00.

On with the installation - photos soon.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Oct 04, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:27 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,533 Posts
I like that idea to ! Agree that the hard points and not very hard at all. This should be a good solution.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:49 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,342 Posts
Progress Report

This is not a progress report - it is another bitching report. What a pain the ass. Those holes in the wing that suppose to allow access to the gear mounting straps are almost useless. First of all, you can't see what you are doing through the holes - you have to poke around to try to find the straps. Secondly, the holes prevent you from easily flipping the straps around and over the gear.

Who ever came up with the holes modification should be shot! It is a major road block in the construction of this "ARF". I am close to just cutting out a slot like the original design. I worked at installing the first gear for over an hour and finally decided to take a break before I pulled out the knife to cut out an access slot. Can't really express how much this pisses me off.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Oct 06, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:20 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,533 Posts
Sound like you are very frustrated mate... Shame, if I can upload pix to help just let me know ! I found the build very easy and quick to be honest but I might of just got lucky.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:48 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forced View Post
Sound like you are very frustrated mate... Shame, if I can upload pix to help just let me know ! I found the build very easy and quick to be honest but I might of just got lucky.
I am not frustrated, I am pissed off. My problem comes from the new design of the access to the landing gear straps in the wing. You have the original design with the access hatch which gives greater access and visibility of the straps. The straps are pre-installed with one screw. The new design with the holes limits your view and access to these straps. It makes it very difficult to flip the straps over the gear and then insert the screw into the second hole in the strap. It is not impossible to accomplish but quite a task. I had to use an old trick (fuel tubing on the end of a screw driver) to insert the screws into the straps. My magnetic tip screw driver would not fit into the holes.

I managed to get the straps attached to the forward strut on the right side landing gear. The rear straps look like they may be easier to work with. With one side done, I will probably find the other side a bit easier.

The construction of the remainder of the model is straight forward. It is just the installation of the gear through those holes that is a problem. Thanks for the offer of pictures, but they will not help. I'll get her done. Just need to take my time and use my acquired skills for this part of the build.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:04 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,342 Posts
Got the gear installed. The trick was to position the straps to hang down before installing the gear into the mounting holes.Then flip the bottom strap around to hold the gear in the holes. The bottom straps can be accessed from the bottom of the wing. Next I flipped the top strap around and then inserted the screws into the straps.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Have you thought about getting a stronger spar and mounting the landing gear directly to that?
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)