HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:27 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,049 Posts
Discussion
T-6 Texan II (Turboprop)

I saw this video on Youtube and didn't realize this was powered by a 3s, 2200 pack! I incorrectly figured it was some oddball pack size when I remember seeing some chat about it, earlier in the year. I have about four of these packs laying around that I use less and less and could use another plane for them, plus new 2200 3s packs can be had for $10 a piece these days.

From what I can tell in the video it has suspension metal struts and a sequencing nose gear door. The cockpit would have to be modded for my personal taste but this thing looks like it flies nice! 4 balded prop is cool too!

Anyone flying this? What do you think? Looks like it could be an easy "add on" plane to bring to the field with the bigger ones...

Easytiger Models Ultra Scale T-6A Texan II Instant Gratification Field Build And Fly (6 min 37 sec)
!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:01 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
If I could get one for about $200 shipped I'd be all over it...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:32 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,049 Posts
Yeah, the price point is about $95 more than a PNP Parkzone T-28 with fixed gear. I suppose for that you get:

*Electric Retracts with gear doors
*metal suspension struts
*The cockpit thingie (sorta good, better for some, less for others)
*Better scale looks
*4 bladed prop (ground adjustable pitch)

That's actually a fair bit of extras. The value of the "extra" can only really be an individual assessment though. I have an old T-28 that's pretty clapped out. I loved that plane for everyday abuse on the dirt field behind my house but I'm thinking it might be time to let someone else have it. I wore the wheels off it and it's a belly lander now. If I picked this one up I'd retire the T-28 and give it to a local kid to step up to from something like a EasyStar or something.

Anybody flying one of these day in and out, with a flight report of how they like it and how it's holding up?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:26 AM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
I'm surprised it's quiet for this one.

Who makes this? I'm really interested.... This is the modern T-28.

95 more dollars from park zone = about 270ish?

If it's built like the FMS t28, I'd say that's a fair price
razorseal is offline Find More Posts by razorseal
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:35 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
Who makes this? I'm really interested.... This is the modern T-28.
http://www.uniquemodelrc.com/proshow.asp?id=438
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:04 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
oh god, just got home from work. this is the same one that there is a thread on.

I will not buy this stupid plane with that dumbass cockpit thing. LOL I don't get the point of that thing!
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:09 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
oh god, just got home from work. this is the same one that there is a thread on.

I will not buy this stupid plane with that dumbass cockpit thing. LOL I don't get the point of that thing!

I wouldn't write the whole plane off because of a goofy tilting cockpit.

Just don't use the bits to make it work and fasten it down with magnets--problem solved....
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:38 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
I wouldn't write the whole plane off because of a goofy tilting cockpit.

Just don't use the bits to make it work and fasten it down with magnets--problem solved....
I know, I wanted to be like the rest of the people on the forum. pick one thing, and then say I don't want it anymore. LOL

it's actually bit too pricey for me =/
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:58 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Yeah I started the original thread for this airplane and I agree with Sammy - The canopy alone isn't a reason in itself to write the plane off entirely, but it is a huge eyesore and promises to be a true pain since you cannot fire up the plane without plugging in another battery outside the plane.

What really kills it is the price and more importantly the lack of American options. I cannot buy this plane directly from an overseas supplier (Nor would I want to) so there are currently no stateside options for me. $300 for this plane is lunacy, and I love the T-6A!

Past those points I really can't say what is wrong with the people on this forum - The Texan II is easily the most aerodynamically friendly aircraft that has not been done to death, or done at all (RXR or PNP). Plus, it is gorgeous....Mark my words - An RC manufacturer will get very rich off this airframe someday. It just has to be done right and made available here in the USA. The flight performance will sell the plane, just like the T-28.
Roswalt is online now Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:05 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Certainly he doesn't charge a 100 bucks for shipping?
http://www.rcwarez.com/12m-t6-texan-...opy-p-214.html
TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:34 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
You might be surprised by the final cost shipped to your door....
Roswalt is online now Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:43 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,049 Posts
I guess I'm just surprised I haven't heard anything else about it much, recently. I saw the original thread several months ago but didn't see much chat about it as typical modelers may do talking about how they are holding up, etc.

I keep seeing the price being a factor - But really, after shipping, it's less than 100 bucks more than a Parkzone PNP T-28 but it has retracts, gear doors, metal oleo type struts, 4 bladed ground adjustable prop, etc etc. There has to be one PZ T-28 in every other RC modeler's garage out there. Maybe I'm projecting a little in what I see as "a lot more" for only a little more in price. Maybe afterall, there is in fact a glass ceiling above $200 for a 45" span model? So the hot sellers should just have fixed gear and wire struts and be the typical 2 dimensional setup. But - look at how much a Parkzone Spitfire with retracts will cost - way more than this one, and at the same size. Or the Hurricane. Much more than the Spitfire, only slightly larger by a couple inches. It's all relative.

One could very easily mod the canopy to be one where you glue some ply tongue to the front and add a latch or magnet latch on the back and "bada bing", tilting pilot problem solved in ten minutes (for those like me than don't like the pilots doing a knife edge in the pits). And thus you save an ounce or two on stuff you take out. Modifying the canopy could take less time than it would take to post how you did it if you wanted to take pics and upload them.

I'm not normally a "plug and play" kinda guy. I tend to build scratch built models and kit models that are highly "bashed" and modified, and it's been this way for 30 years of modeling since I was a little kid. The PZ T-28 was the first instant gratification model I ever worked with a few years ago. It looked like something you'd buy a kid at a toy store. BUT - it has really been a heck of an RC plane for me. And more recently, I bought a Starmax A-1 Skyraider. Other than some Starmax landing gear issues, I'm super impressed with what can be done with foam today - it flies better than my old Top Flite Gold Edition warbirds did, just not as fast and powerfully - but on the wing this thing is sweet. That has opened my eyes to stuff like this. That's where I'm coming from.

So a lot of what I see written down as big hangups for guys on this model I just look through as a one hour fix here (like the canopy), or a simple act of making sure the model is in stock before buying. So I do respect the feedback it's just that I tend to look for solutions and work arounds rather than stop signs. So before anyone tells me to buy one and tell them what I think, I'll just say mostly I'm exploring this end of the hobby right now and asking more questions than hitting "pay now" at this point. But I like what I see so far.

Now... who has, actually, been flying this one? How has it held up? What's it like to fly day in and out?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie P; Sep 06, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:04 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
60 bux for shipping.

so right around 260... just around the FMS giant warbird price area.

Maybe I'll ask a family member as an xmas gift. we got about 3 months then maybe I'll get one...

although, I must say I've been holding off on the asking to save for the FMS FW190. I'm not sure if I can skip that thing. lol