Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzepa1 View Post
Not too many posts on this great plane, but you can already see a wide variety of motor/prop combinations being successfully used. The Wild Hog will fly slow or fast, and do either very well. It's a very versatile plane, as well as a blast to throw around in the sky. It can take a lot of punishment and survive, so go ahead and get in over your head with the sticks.

You didn't mention the size or power of your motor. The Hog's durability does come with the inevitable weight penalty, but if your motor will swing an SF 8x3.8 with authority, I say strap it on a Wild Hog and get in on the fun.

What's an sc?
a sc is a super cub .....im useing a e flite park 400 outrunner 920 kv model #1305 and again thanks for any info
truckinhard088 is offline Find More Posts by truckinhard088
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:59 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,785 Posts
truckinhard088 , that should fly if just fine. A large prop at slower kv will give you unlimited vertical while not rocket fast. A high kv with a smaller prop will only burn up your motor. Even thou the Hog can fly fairly fast, it's not a slippery airframe. Enjoy.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:01 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinhard088 View Post
a sc is a super cub .....im useing a e flite park 400 outrunner 920 kv model #1305 and again thanks for any info
I'm thinking a Park 400 would fly a WH quite nicely. I have experience with the following motors in my WH. Go to headsuprc.com for specs on both for comparison to your motor/prop combo.

Emax CF 2822/GWS DD 8040 prop. Flew the plane well, but vertical performance was limited. With this setup I'd call the WH an advanced trainer.

Emax BL 2215/20/GWS DD 9050 prop. Goes vertical until it starts getting too small. Getting into serious yahoo! territory now. With this setup I'd raise the WH into the competent aerobat/combat plane class. This is what I'm flying now. Check derrick's posts, he's strapping some real monster motors on his.

Part of the beauty of the WH is it versatility. It will fly with a wide range of power combo's and retain it's smooth, forgiving and still responsive flying nature.

Remember the durability as well. Last time out, I was practicing inverted flight about 1/2 mistake high. Nosed it straight in with about 40% power. Dusted it off, reglued the verticals and 1 servo and I was back in business today. Wind was calm very early, but by 0930 gusting from 2-15 mph, swapping from S to W. My WH (w/2215/20) took to the skies to the amazement of the old salts (all grounded) on hand. Flying was a challenge, but not sweaty palms stuff. Did a couple of Immelmans, a few vertical rolls and came in for a feather soft high alpha landing into the wind which was 45deg cross at the time. This is my second full season rc flying and I'm no prodigy, much credit to a well powered WH.

Get off the fence, man. It's only $42 to give it a go. You're in for a serious upgrade of the fun factor over a Cub. I had a Cub Cruiser, nice enough, but it weren't no WILD HOG!

Your radio has elevon mixing available, yes?
Mazzepa1 is online now Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:06 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,785 Posts
I still have one with a 6 yo TP21 and 9/6 prop. Fast enough and good verticals.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
what prop should i use with this motor setup still very noob at this
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:21 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
816 Posts
Quote:
what prop should i use with this motor setup still very noob at this
I've got one of these that swings an APC SF9047 quite well:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-10%29/Detail
It'a little smaller than your Park 400, so that prop should be no problem with your motor. Try the one you've got as well.

By all means study up, but trust me standardization is not that great with the equipment we use. Eventually you're going to have to get some stuff that seems like it ought to work together and try it out. Part of the fun.

Go for it. I wouldn't consider myself all the way past the noob stage yet and I've put together several planes that worked well. It's not as hard as it seems once you get into it.

The Hog Wild! is an excellent platform to learn equipment setup as well a dandy flier. Everything is very accessible, a big plus.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
thanks for the help i think i talked my finance officer into a cf 2822from those guys and a 22 amp ecm 11.1 v 1800 mah 30 c battery swinging a gwps 8040 prop afraid i hurt my parkzone 13oo mah 20 c batts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:22 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
816 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the help i think i talked my finance officer into a cf 2822from those guys and a 22 amp ecm 11.1 v 1800 mah 30 c battery swinging a gwps 8040 prop afraid i hurt my parkzone 13oo mah 20 c batts
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
how does that setup fly i am still what i call a rookie i can fly and land my sc cub without much trouble and i have ailreons on it i built a hog same lenght and ws as this one but my weight wil come in at 26 oz i am looking to fly this very mild to start and again thanks for the help in advance
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:56 AM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
816 Posts
Quote:
how does that setup fly i am still what i call a rookie i can fly and land my sc cub without much trouble and i have ailreons on it i built a hog same lenght and ws as this one but my weight wil come in at 26 oz i am looking to fly this very mild to start and again thanks for the help in advance
See my descriptions in Post # 78, that was at a weight of 20 oz, everything but the battery.

Also see derrickh78's advice to me in Post # 46, wasn't long at all until I upped the power ante over the CF2822. Consider using your Park 400, and put the bux you'd use for the CF2822 towards a 1600-1800mah high discharge (c) rate battery.

As you've got a handle on flying a 4ch plane, I say go with the bigger motor and up the fun factor. You do want , don't you?
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
Put some lights on the dronkey, but it needs more. Easy to lose when its level or running away. Heres a pic.

derrickh78 is offline Find More Posts by derrickh78
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:42 AM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickh78 View Post
Put some lights on the dronkey, but it needs more. Easy to lose when its level or running away. Heres a pic.

Wouldn't you know it. One of the guys in my club was egging me on to light my Hog the other day and derrick is already there.

Outline the top of the verticals?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
ok im having issues i put on my my emax 2822 outrunner swinging a gws 8040 dd prop 11.1 volt 1800 mah 30 c battery and i do not seem to get enough rpm to fly the plane if i hold it verticle by the wing and give it full throttle it bearly trys to fly out of my hand and i have the prop letters facing front toward the nose
thanks in advance dave
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:38 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
816 Posts
Quote:
ok im having issues i put on my my emax 2822 outrunner swinging a gws 8040 dd prop 11.1 volt 1800 mah 30 c battery and i do not seem to get enough rpm to fly the plane if i hold it verticle by the wing and give it full throttle it bearly trys to fly out of my hand and i have the prop letters facing front toward the nose
thanks in advance dave
Some things that come to mind for checking:
1. Battery fully charged? Are you sure it's a good one?
2. ESC throttle range setup correctly?
3. Looking at the prop from the nose of the plane, you're seeing the prop letters. Rotation should be CCW from this view.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Jan 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Some things that come to mind for checking:
1. Battery fully charged? Are you sure it's a good one?
2. ESC throttle range setup correctly?
3. Looking at the prop from the nose of the plane, you're seeing the prop letters. Rotation should be CCW from this view.
Great points indeed. If you have a cell that is not holding a charge, it will not fly, or just barely fly. First flight on mine after I put the lights on and I had a bad cell and the wing never got off the gound. Good battery fixed that.

Also, point 3: just because the writing face forward doesnt mean its right. Make sure when you throttle up, you feel the air movement from the prop pushing backwards. If its going forward, you need to swap any two of your 3 motor leads to the esc.

Good luck
derrickh78 is offline Find More Posts by derrickh78