HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:20 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined May 2011
209 Posts
Discussion
Watts up guys? Watt Watt meter do you recommend?

terrible puns aside..

Which do you recommend? I'd like something from ThunderPower, Triton, or other reputable brands.

Any good experiences?

Cheers mates.
ZSimon is offline Find More Posts by ZSimon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:23 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Inspector wattmeter

http://www.western-robotics.com/pdf/...tor_Manual.pdf

for something quick and simple

Eagle Tree if I want more details ,graphing . logging and more amps.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:25 PM
Mcminnville, Or USA
Joined Jul 2009
597 Posts
I will try to answer based on my experience.
I don't own a Watts Up, though I know people who do and they seem to be good solid units.

I do own the e-bantam Two Meter, which does everything the Watts Up does except give you high\low readings.
It does give you everything the watts up does just in the form of live data, including the total amp hours that have passed though the meter.
I have used this unit a lot.......I even use it for solar power projects etc.
The build quality is very good.

Hobby King sells a unit very similar to the Watts Up for about 20 bucks if you can find them in stock.
zero2444 is offline Find More Posts by zero2444
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:15 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
The WattsUp is a good unit by reputation but I don't have one.

I use an EagleTree v2 or DPR-50 (no longer available) for in-flight and a Junsi PowerLog6 for on-the-bench.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:37 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
I have the Bantam Two-meter and Eagletree eLogger V4 and they both do well. But if I had to recommend one unit that will do it all, I'd suggest the Junsi PowerLog6 kgfly mentioned. It does watt readings, it logs, it measures cell voltages, and it can measure all kinds of other things as well. Plus the price is pretty good vs. the others in it's class. Just my suggestion.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=105
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:20 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,865 Posts
Agree with everything you say BUT

Be aware the PowerLog has a small, very hard to read screen compared with others. Not a criticism, just an observation. It's the price you pay for an all-in-one device that presents all that information in a case that is small and light enough to go up in the plane and come back with all the info logged - as well as being a full function real time meter on the ground. It is absolutely the most bang for the buck in accurate meters though.

I use a number of Wattmeters. The Emeter II and Eagletree are the most powerful, the PowerLog is the best all rounder; but I use the "one trick pony" AEO-RC P1 most often (particularly at the field) just because it is so simple to use, has a one button hold function, and is easy to read. The Inspector wattmeters, Watts up etc share this advantage.

As always, depends on your needs at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ320 View Post
I have the Bantam Two-meter and Eagletree eLogger V4 and they both do well. But if I had to recommend one unit that will do it all, I'd suggest the Junsi PowerLog6 kgfly mentioned. It does watt readings, it logs, it measures cell voltages, and it can measure all kinds of other things as well. Plus the price is pretty good vs. the others in it's class. Just my suggestion.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=105
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:03 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined May 2011
209 Posts
very cool and thanks for the info. Gonna do a bit more research and make a choice.

I think in this hobby without a Watt Meter, half of what we do is guess work So I'd like to get some more real numbers down on paper.
ZSimon is offline Find More Posts by ZSimon
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:15 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
I have several. My favorite is the Medusa Power Analyzer Pro, but it's no longer available. I also have the Western Robotics Inspector and really like it too. Have an Eagletree v4, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

One thing to also note is the minimum operating voltage. The Inspector will work with a minimum of 4. I just looked at the AEO-RC P1 (I'm always on the lookout for new toys) and according to the specs is requires 8v. I know the inspector also has an external power input so you can measure from 0v to 4v using an external power source.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:16 PM
Mcminnville, Or USA
Joined Jul 2009
597 Posts
The Eagletree setup looks very capable and reasonably priced.
Does it give you a lcd readout or do you have to put the data into a computer.?

One thing the Two Meter does is balance your cells on its own in a limited way.
Having some kind of watt amp meter is very helpful for electric motors\batteries\prop setup.
And just gives inside information as to what your setup is doing or not doing.
And really it is about the only way you can figure out how many amps a 12\7 prop is drawing compared to a 11\6 etc.
zero2444 is offline Find More Posts by zero2444
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:20 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
The Eagletree display is sold separately as an add on.

Best advice wolud be to decide what you want a meter for. Eagletree is best for in flight and logging. Other meters are better for bench testing and don't have logging capability.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:33 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Not quite right PeteB. The PowerLog6 has an integrated (small but legible) display and built-in data logging and is light and small enough for use in flight on all but the very smallest models:

PowerLog6 = 28g, 85x40x13mm (length includes Deans connectors)
Elogger v4 = 22g, 57x28x13mm (length does not include Deans connectors)

The PL6 also has a built-in USB port rather than needing a somewhat fragile adapter cable like the ET units.

The ET has a wider range of sensors and better PC software than the PL6 (which relies on Logview) but requires the add-on (and somewhat fragile) LCD panel to be able to see any readings without a PC.

Both are very good units but for bench use the PL6 has the edge. For in-flight use it is a close competition and will depend on your needs and preferences.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:15 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Not quite right PeteB. The PowerLog6 has an integrated (small but legible) display and built-in data logging and is light and small enough for use in flight on all but the very smallest models:

PowerLog6 = 28g, 85x40x13mm (length includes Deans connectors)
Elogger v4 = 22g, 57x28x13mm (length does not include Deans connectors)

The PL6 also has a built-in USB port rather than needing a somewhat fragile adapter cable like the ET units.

The ET has a wider range of sensors and better PC software than the PL6 (which relies on Logview) but requires the add-on (and somewhat fragile) LCD panel to be able to see any readings without a PC.

Both are very good units but for bench use the PL6 has the edge. For in-flight use it is a close competition and will depend on your needs and preferences.
I made no reference to the PowerLog6.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:17 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Just for accuracy's sake, I just want to add, the Eagletree V4 also has a USB port connector built on to the board. You can still use the included proprietary cable, but a standard mini USB works just as well.

I would also say, paired with a PC, I think the EagleTree systems makes a great bench unit. But again, for electric fliers, I think the PowerLog6 is a more all encompassing unit. With the cell voltage meter, you can also make one of jj604's discharger auto shutoff devices with the PL6. Just another great use for it.
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:33 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
PeteB - "Other meters are better for bench testing and don't have logging capability." my point was simply that the PL6 is an "other meter" that does have logging.

EricJ - My mistake, thanks for the clarification. My V2 requires an adapter cable.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:46 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
Quote:
PeteB - "Other meters are better for bench testing and don't have logging capability." my point was simply that the PL6 is an "other meter" that does have logging.
Sorry, I should have explicitly referred to the WattsUp, Inspector, and AEO-RC P1 which do not have data logging capabilities.

Since the PL6 relies on LogView, does it have the ability to do real-time PC logging and monitoring as can be done with the EagleTree or Power Analyzer Pro?

If I were to buy a new data logger today, I'd seriously consider the Unilog. Looks nice, but all German prompts and must be ordered from overseas. It has shunts available up to 400A.