HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:00 PM
Occasional RC Pilot
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
Will this battery work and fit in the sky cruiser and can I charge it with the included cox charger ?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-450-2s1p.html
No way! Too heavy, too large, wrong connectors. Forget it.
Bayodd is offline Find More Posts by Bayodd
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:41 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Thanks purchased my sky cruiser today at hobby people can't wait to fly her.
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Picked up this today $7.30 shipped
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl350-2s1p-20c-2222.html
Old May 12, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
14 Posts
What does CG stand for?
Imdying1 is offline Find More Posts by Imdying1
Old May 13, 2012, 01:47 AM
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Center gravity. It's the point of balance u find the center of gravity on your plane and it makes flying a breeze
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
I bought this plane and I've flown it many times now with no serious crashes or anything. With this plane I ran clear packing tape along the bottom of the fuselage to make it slippy on landing and to give it some strength on a crash. I also taped up the nose a bit and over top of the battery compartment foam section.
I'm running 350mah lipos since finding anything similar to the originals and I balanced to to the CG of 35mm behind the leading edge with a coin on the tail section.
Generally speaking this plane flies great. Gliding leaves a little to be desired since it drops fairly fast unless you're at a slope in which case it does OK. when it's balanced if flies really nice!
SMackaay is offline Find More Posts by SMackaay
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:15 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2008
35 Posts
I learned on this plane and it's a great flier under the right conditions. I wouldn't take it out in winds higher than 5 mph. It becomes a real handful in anything over that because it's so light (3.9 oz with battery).

One thing that happened to me today; I switched it to high rates while flying. It worked great. My loops were tighter and it turned a little sharper. However, at about 60-70 yards out, well within sight range, I lost control of it. My last input was stick down getting ready for another loop, and then it went dead. It smacked into a backstop at full throttle despite my efforts to turn it towards me.

I suppose I was at fault for this because I never I did a range check. Lesson learned. But just beware of this. Other than that, it's been a great plane. I have, however, snapped the nose off several times. It glues back easily and keeps flying.

With regards to CG, I will have to say that it can be a little difficult to dial in at first. I prefer moving the battery far forward because I like to fly with the throttle off. With the battery forward, it glides fast enough that you won't stall your turns. However, the tradeoff it during launch. It will nose down, so I have to be quick on the elevator. It also won't climb as quickly. But, I still prefer my plane setup this way.

I like that parts are readily available for this plane.
BrookR1 is offline Find More Posts by BrookR1
Old May 13, 2013, 12:13 AM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
do people ever give these a few clicks of up elevator before launching? it's common with these pushers to dip and i'd think it'd help.
cram is offline Find More Posts by cram
Old Sep 30, 2013, 08:51 PM
Stantheman
LaGrange, Ky.
Joined May 2004
430 Posts
Are additional batteries available for the Sky Cruiser?
Stantheman is offline Find More Posts by Stantheman
Old Oct 01, 2013, 12:55 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
665 Posts
I never got mine in the air. Sits in my plane room all in one est two of them. more money in it than any other plane I got its the only one never flow.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:58 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
My cox sky cruiser experience.

Purchased on aug 15th from tower hobbies.
Received on aug 19th.
Maiden flight aug 20th, first launch nose dive, ok moved the battery back a tad.
2nd launch, have it in the air for about 4 minutes, did a few loops, was so exciting, flew nicely, until I lost rudder control and ended up in a tree.
Went home, got a ladder and a pole, climbed tree, recovered plane.
Upon inspecting it I notice the white gear had fallen off the rod on the pcb and was lost.
Tried to find a new gear, was told I had to buy a new pcb @ 40 something dollars, that is half the cost of the whole plane.
I sent tower a nice email about how that is rediculous to say the least.
they sent me a whole new sky cruiser, WOW awesome CS.
2nd plane has alot of chatter when I plugged in the battery, and rudder went one way but seemed to bind the other way, has not been flown.
I returned the first one for a refund, esentially getting it for free since I still have the 2nd one they sent me, it sits in the box, I might try this deoxit I read about to see if the servo chatter goes away, but I am certianly not buying another pcb after having 2 bad ones, maybe if they were $20, but at half the cost of the plane its just not worth the risk of getting another bad one, having to return it and repeating that cycle until I get one that works.

Something I find odd is when I plug in the battery the servo spins and does not stop, with the white gear off
chrispycontrol is offline Find More Posts by chrispycontrol
Old Oct 02, 2013, 06:51 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
Anyone have a link to cheaper receiver units for the sky cruiser?
I tried to search nine eagles parts but I found units that don't exactly look the same
hobbyking had some nine eagles units for 20-24 dollars, just not sure what one
chrispycontrol is offline Find More Posts by chrispycontrol
Old Oct 02, 2013, 07:03 AM
United States, TN, Martin
Joined Apr 2013
733 Posts
It was my first RC plane. I found it a nightmare to fly. I didn't like the nylon "gear" servo's either. I can't believe I made it past that model and moved on, instead of ditching the whole concept of flying RC's.

Having said that, it was my first, but still......
SayCheeze is offline Find More Posts by SayCheeze
Old Oct 12, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
am a novice, not a beginner, (have an Ember 2 I got the hang of,) i got a hold of one of these used along with a Champ for $20 from a guy who basically threw it in, sans battery, for free. both a couple of beaters that still flew - good learners, in a way. (he'd snapped the nose off it and fashioned a new one out of foam and glued magnets on it, using them to attach the nose. sort of a break-away, so to speak. pretty clever.) i had trouble at first - using too much throttle at launch and kind of overflying. i discovered the half rate on the TX, and learned to use lower throttle...half or so cruising around. was having servo problems - the elevator would stick in full up position. discovered the wires from the battery were pushing against the end of the servo that spins. i think the battery wires were also creating interfearence with the brick. i reversed the battery, top facing forward, so the wires are more taught, and there's no more servo chatter or interfearance since. and i finally got the hang of this thing! so...

I hand launch at about half throttle, holding the elevator stick down half way or so with my chin. lol. she dips like all pushers do, and then makes her way up. climb out is pretty good! once on her way up, i release and start flying...with both thumbs. she flies and cruises pretty well. wind below 5mph like everyone said is key. make sure your TX is on the half rate by pushing down the right stick. a little graphic on the LED screen shows as half a circle. I ran tape along the bottom and extended the rudder 1/2 an inch to increase response. (I'd use full rates, but like the elevator responding as it is.) I just used a piece of cardboard i traced the outline of the rudder on, cut to shape, and just taped it on there. it extends 1/2 inch over the rudder and 1/2 inch off the end...works fine! responds better with motor off, but still not great. but give it a little bit of throttle and hit rudder, she'll respond.
glide isn't great, but it glides. it does have that porpoise tendency when flying. you have to make her sort of nose heavy so she doesn't do that, which makes her glide lousy, but whatever. truth is? this is my new goto. i stuck lights on it and fly her at night a lot which is when it's most calm. i think it's a good first plane - a Night Vapor could be better because of the speed of this thing. but it's the kinda plane you can crash, glue or tape it up, crash, glue or tape it up. this thing is beat to heck and it still flies! (some use Deoxit on the servos when giving trouble.) but having the TX you can use on Nine Eagles bnf's - not a bad thing! and one thing....WRITE YOUR PHONE NUMBER ON A PIECE OF PAPER AND TAPE IT ON THERE. lol. the range is pretty good, but it can get away from you or land in a tree. if it comes down and is found, you'll get a phone call. it's kind of a good, general RC Airplane practice.

happy flying.
cram is offline Find More Posts by cram