Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:45 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,790 Posts
Any way to move rudder control to the right stick (aileron), instead of on the throttle stick? I am so used to flying 3 channel planes on the right stick, this is going to mess me up!
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 01:43 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,790 Posts
Hmmm...think I know my issue...I bought my plane used and it came with a bad elevator servo. I bought a used replacement brick and that is what I am using now...wondering, is the stock Sky Cruiser a 3 channel brick and now I have a 4 channel brick causing the rudder to operate on the throttle stick?!?!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:22 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,001 Posts
: is the stock Sky Cruiser a 3 channel brick and now I have a 4 channel brick causing the
: rudder to operate on the throttle stick?!?!

Yes.

The other movement on the throttle stick on the Sky Cruiser / Sky Eagle doesn't do anything - usually.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,790 Posts
Okay, thanks. I am going to swap out the bad servo in the old brick and hopefully that will do the trick.

Pete
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:35 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,790 Posts
Just a recap... Sorry to clutter this thread but thought this might help someone!

Started to take the old servo off and figured out the servo motor and POT that moves it were separate. Tried to de-solder the POT from the board but couldn't. My soldering gun isn't very good for this micro work and honestly, my soldering skills could be better.

I was going to hold off and let my brother do the swap as he is an expert at soldering. Then I remembered that I had purchased a product from Radio Shack called De-Ox It awhile back to clean my Blade MCPx servos. Decided to "shoot" the POT with it and guess what? It appears to have solved my servo problem!!!! No more JITTERS!

Pete
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
893 Posts
Rudder problem no more!!!

I had the same rudder servo jitter/intermitent problem where sometimes the rudder just got stuck and I lost control of my sky cruiser and crashed a few times. Used deoxit and wow ---- no more jitter, servo rudder works perfectly like new!!!!!!!! Give it a try for those who has servo rudder or elevator problem. Sure beat replacing the whole new receiver unit. Bought this from radio shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104746
ccsj is online now Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:31 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsj View Post
I had the same rudder servo jitter/intermitent problem where sometimes the rudder just got stuck and I lost control of my sky cruiser and crashed a few times. Used deoxit and wow ---- no more jitter, servo rudder works perfectly like new!!!!!!!! Give it a try for those who has servo rudder or elevator problem. Sure beat replacing the whole new receiver unit. Bought this from radio shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104746
what exactly does this do? clean the surface?
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
893 Posts
It suppose to clean and improve all electrical contacts. Depending on the type of lead finish, oxidation can lead to bad contact by increasing contact resistance. This stuff cleans out the oxidation and restore the contact. Not sure where exactly on the pcb that became bad. I spray on both sides and it works. No more rudder stuck issue. I suspect that it was the contact issue that cause the rudder problem because every time when it got stuck, I just had to tap on the servo to recover itself.
Last edited by ccsj; Mar 15, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:38 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
901 Posts
On the strength of your review I ordered the plane. However when it arrived the rudder was torn off the vertical stabilizer. The fuselage evidently had enough room in it's foam to allow the rudder to hit the side of the box. Not sure if the elevator servo took a hit also, since the clevis was open and free. Not sure if I want a replacement or a refund.

gb
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
893 Posts
Flew mine again today in very clam wind. Plane was very balanced after I made sure COG was at 35mm by taping a quarter under the nose. Really enjoy the flight today with 350mA Zippy battery. My servo starts to act up again. I was browsing to see if I can replace/upgrade the receiver unit. Idea?
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:36 PM
Occasional RC Pilot
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Nine Eagles Sky Runner report

Hi there!

I got my Nine Eagles Sky Runner 10 days ago and would like to share some of my experience.

Is it the same product as the Sky Cruiser?
Yes, obviously the Nine Eagles Sky Runner is absolutely identical with the Cox Sky Cruiser. There can be no doubt about this when I compare my package and its contents to the pictures 78dave posted at the beginning of this thread.
The only difference are the decals. And, important: the instruction manual from Cox is much better compared to that from Nine Eagles.

Center of gravity
As mentioned by other people here, CoG is a problem. If the battery is in the foremost position, the plane is badly nose-heavy. Therefore, I placed the battery in the rearmost possible position in its compartment (This coincides nicely with the CoG lying 35 mm from the leading edge of the wing). By the way: checking this was not easy. Due to the pod motor, the CoG happens to be above the wing. Therefore, the plane is not in a stable balance when the wings are supported at the CoG. It tends to tilt backward or forward even if the CoG is correctly placed.

Trimming
Once the CoG in place, a considerable upward elevator trim was required, at least for my plane, in order to achieve a fairly decent gliding angle (the trailing edge of the elevator control surface had to be 2 mm out of a straight line, about equal to the thickness of the control surface).
The plane tends to be quite sensitive on pitch but a little bit sluggish on rudder. Therefore I repositioned the rudder clevis to pass through the control horn closer to the rudder. With the elevator clevis I did it the opposite.

Launch
Without elevator trim, my plane nosed into the ground at every launch. I recommend to lauch the plane always with full throttle, pointing slightly upwards. This is because the pod motor not only pushes the plane forward, but also exerts a momentum towards the ground. As soon as the plane begins a steep climb, throttle can be reduced to less than half for a smooth level flight.

Cruising around
As soon as the rudder is activated, the plane starts to lose altitude. Applying some elevator up not only compensates this, but also supports the turn. Cruising around at 1/3 throttle is very relaxing: rudder and elevator is all you need as long as steep climbs are avoided.

Gliding
With motor off, this so-called "glider" is a bit of a disappointment. It goes only in one direction: down. Not too steep, but anything close to level flight without motor is almost impossible. I would like to do slope soaring, but this is a real challenge: if the wind blows strong enough to support it, this plane is too slow to advance upwind. However, with a little throttle support, it "glides" quite nicely.

Speed flying
With full throttle, the plane reacts pretty nervous to stick commands due to the prop wash on the rudder. In other words, control movements must be only very small. The radio's reduced-rate mode (push down on the rudder stick to activate or deactivate it) might help here, but I didn't try it yet since I learned about this feature only yesterday when reading the Cox manual.
The distinct climbing tendency at full throttle must of course be countered with some down pitch for level flight. Loops and narrow turns are no problem at all.

Landing
Controlled landings are easy, just put throttle to zero and glide down with smooth rudder movements. The structure of the plane is also very forgiving. However, on harder landings the canopy flies off and needs to be collected separately. After a couple of times the nose was so bulged that the magnets didn't snap anymore. I used some tape to fix the canopy onto the fuselage, and over nicht the bulge evened out again. Maybe I'll use a rubber band to fix the canopy next time.

Preparing for the next flight
Before the plane is ready to be launched again, the wings need to be repositioned. They tend to slip out of their proper place easily, even on smooth landings. This has to be checked every time - just push them back together.
Moreover, the position of the battery needs to be checked (should be the rearmost possible). I cut a little piece of foam (2.7 cm long) and stuffed this into the the extra space on the nose end of the battery compartment.

Rudder servo issue
On one occasion, the plane ceased to react to rudder stick movements. The problem disappeared by itself after a couple of minutes. Not sure whether it was a mechanical or electrical problem. I noticed that the opening where the rudder push rod comes out of the fuse in an S-shape was quite rough and this could have inhibited the movement. Evened out that with a sharp knife.

Battery endurance and recharging
After 15 minutes or more, when the battery becomes low, the motor stops without prior indication. The servos continue to work though, so a controlled landing is no issue.
The charger's 12V input can be fed not only from the included power adaptor, but also from a car battery. The connector is standard, and I even found in my grab box a matching cable with a cigarette lighter plug on the other end. Charging takes about 1 hour. But allow the battery to cool down before you start charging!

Round-up
This is an excellent plane for beginners. Due to the pod motor and its light weight it is extremely tolerant against nose landings. The small size makes it easy to transport - just put it on the back seat of your car in one piece! Actually, you don't even need a car - a great point for younger pilots. And it's a lot of flying fun for less than 100 bucks.
But it's not a toy: as with any model airplane, CoG and trim must be adjusted properly. Control movements have to be smooth and dosed. Practicing with a Simulator before your maiden flight is a good advice. If you just take it out of the box and throw it into the wind, the pleasure will vanish faster than the sun goes down.

More info / links and resources
Bayodd is offline Find More Posts by Bayodd
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Sep 2006
7 Posts
Very detailed and interesting report, Bayodd!

I will definitely incorporate your tips when I start flying mine. An interesting detail; nysicat had similar setup tips but advises the opposite launch technique: he felt that a reduced throttle launch reduced the pod-motor nose-down tendency.

My kids and I are already flying your RCDP Sky Runner, you can tell it's based on the BMI Arrow, but it looks great and flies fun.

Thanks,
Paul.

p.s: I realised that I hadn't read the original post, oops. Thank you, 78dave, for a very nicely documented review. Really very professionally made, thanks for all the info!
piwikiwi is offline Find More Posts by piwikiwi
Last edited by piwikiwi; Apr 08, 2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: paying respect where due.... ;-)
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:59 PM
Occasional RC Pilot
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwikiwi View Post
Very detailed and interesting report, Bayodd! I will definitely incorporate your tips when I start flying mine. An interesting detail; nysicat had similar setup tips but advises the opposite launch technique: he felt that a reduced throttle launch reduced the pod-motor nose-down tendency.
Thanks for the flowers, Paul
Launch at half throttle works as well. But be prepared to pull on the pitch stick immediately after launch to avoid nosing down.
With full throttle I feel more comfortable when lauching the plane upwards at about 20 degrees. This is the procedure suggested in the manual, and it works perfectly. This way the typical sharp dip immediately after launch can be avoided.

I tried the reduced rate mode of the radio today and found it a nice feature for switching between a quiet flight and vivid reactions. The plane must be in good trim though, otherwise the pitch movement might be too small for corrections.

Cheers, Bayodd
Bayodd is offline Find More Posts by Bayodd
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
893 Posts
My sky cruiser had the roughest crahed today. I was at 87% throttle on my second battery and I think I didn't put the battery correctly in the right spot as the plane was flying a little funny (less true) than when I flew 15 min earlier with my first battery (same 350 Zippy). I was doing a loop and not sure how I lost control or why it did'nt loop instead just vertically sped down to the ground (lawn) at 87% throttle. To my surprise when I went to retriving it (expecting pieces), only the motor mount and the elevator was broken. CA it and back to new. I actually tape the ENTIRE plane with extra duty shipping tape. That really helps absorb all the punishment. I guess I will have to look into taping the motor mount as well. It is absolutely critical to get COG right with this plane. I usually toss mine at 55-60% throttle with slight up angle. If no wind, it tends to dip a little, when against the wind it stays up and climp quickly.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Will this battery work and fit in the sky cruiser and can I charge it with the included cox charger ?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-450-2s1p.html
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID