Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcAntonio View Post
it's a toy, it's not a model.
no standard radio, no standard servos, no standard receiver---equals----toy
...in your opinion. In my opinion, you are talking rubbish.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:10 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,869 Posts
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Last edited by rcalldaylong; Sep 25, 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:12 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,869 Posts
Quote:
my wife calls my 100mph+ stryker a toy- "toy" is relative and has no meaning. what is important is that it works and you have a blast.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:22 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
my wife calls my 100mph+ stryker a toy- "toy" is relative and has no meaning. what is important is that it works and you have a blast.
Exactly. Some people were taken away from the breast too soon in their development.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Sep 24, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:06 PM
roadawg27
United States, OH, Canton
Joined Aug 2011
37 Posts
Bought one from the lhs last week...let me tell ya. It is quick for its size...as a new pilot I can attest to itsdurability....as mine has been nosedived into a flat roof building, stuck in 2 trees and grounded straight in....today I did manage to snap the nose off, but a lil glue and she's good as new! Great for a beginner like myself
Roadawg27 is offline Find More Posts by Roadawg27
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:54 PM
Champaign, Il
Joined Apr 2007
278 Posts
It is made by Nine Eagle but not exactly the same as the Sky Runner. Battery and Charger are improved and safer.
The plane is nimble and fun to fly. It is from the "real" Cox, who is a part of Estes Rockets.
My_design is offline Find More Posts by My_design
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:39 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
Good detective work folks. I never caught that one. OEM's have options and usually have a period of time after that make something that exclusivity is with the buyer. After that time period they can sell it to anyone. As well they make it for someone that does not have the distribution and they get anxious as they make no money so they start looking around. Cox obviously has a name and distribution.

I would add CG is more important than anything. Once it is correct it flies great and really is indestructible, or at least the numerous times I nosed it in full throttle on launch it showed no wear and tear.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:54 AM
kentucky
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
Cg

Where is the CG from the leading edge of the wing? Does the owners manual tell?
Earl
ccowboyearl is offline Find More Posts by ccowboyearl
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:17 PM
kentucky
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
78Dave

I sent you a pm with questions about this plane.
Thanks,
Earl
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:32 PM
Cocky Cockatiel Copilot
Kansas City
Joined Jan 2008
8 Posts
I'm curious...

Quote:
What's the difference between a model with a proprietary, all-in-one radio system and a model with a "standard" radio if:

1) Both systems work and do what they need to do.

and

2) Remain installed in the same model for the life of the equipment and are never used in any other model?

and

3) Survive as long as the airframe can fly.

I don't see anyone complaining about permanently gluing servos in place.

I await the coming troll wars.

ComposerDan is offline Find More Posts by ComposerDan
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:00 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComposerDan View Post
What's the difference between a model with a proprietary, all-in-one radio system and a model with a "standard" radio if:

1) Both systems work and do what they need to do.

and

2) Remain installed in the same model for the life of the equipment and are never used in any other model?

and

3) Survive as long as the airframe can fly.

I don't see anyone complaining about permanently gluing servos in place.

I await the coming troll wars.

He's just another FPV'er who know jack.... about model flying.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:46 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
Come on folks, lets talk about the model. What it does, what it does not do, the good the bad, but if you do not have one, have not flown one and otherwise know nothing about THIS plane, then be respectful of those that want to talk about the Cox Sky Cruiser.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:18 AM
kentucky
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
Batteries

Where can i get batteries for it? I can't see paying $16 for the batteries. Someone must have them cheaper. I found some 450 mah at hobby king, but they mught be too heavy.
Thanks,
Earl
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:17 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave View Post
Come on folks, lets talk about the model. What it does, what it does not do, the good the bad, but if you do not have one, have not flown one and otherwise know nothing about THIS plane, then be respectful of those that want to talk about the Cox Sky Cruiser.
Amen, Doctor.

Getting back on topic and referencing the above post, I was surprised that the batteries were so expensive. I bought a second pack for the Cox Sky Ranger I reviewed and it was the same price. Not sure how the Nine Eagles versions would match up price-wise.

As far as this being a toy, I respectfully disagree. I've never seen a micro flyer from any major hobby distributor that wasn't packing proprietary electronics. If it's wearing a hobby brand, is controlled with a radio and not an IR beam and is supported with parts available from a hobby shop, it's hobby grade IMO. I have an E-flite Blade mSR fixed-pitch heli and a Heli-Max Axe Micro coaxial. Both are designed around the manufacturer's own onboard electronics. There's no real standard with the possible exception of Plantraco.

I should also point out that this model is supported by Hobbico's fabulous customer service. I had a problem with the servo gears on the receiver brick on the Sky Ranger. They're not available as service parts. I called Hobbico, asked if they might have some gears on hand from a returned brick...and they mailed me an entire brick, brand new in the wrapper. It's unlikely that a toy would be as well supported.

Just for fun, I'd like to point out that the company I work for is headed by a ranked amateur tennis player with a sense of humor. He's also a golfer. He used to playfully refer to me as a "big kid" playing with my "toy airplanes." One day, I told him that his pastimes involved hitting balls with sticks and if those weren't playground activities, I didn't know what were.

He doesn't tease me about the planes anymore.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Sep 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:07 PM
United States, MA, Newburyport
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
I have this plane, lots of fun.

One flaw is the fuselage is split, glued together down the middle lengthwise, so if you put the nose into the ground hard enough, the battery slides forward, causing it to split the nose in two. The battery will not only split it, it can deform the foam enough so it makes it nearly impossible for the magnets to line up on the canopy, even after applying CA glue. You can see it in the photos on post #1 in the review, this must have happened to this plane too. I now have to secure the canopy with a rubber band or it will fly off.
dugmar is offline Find More Posts by dugmar