HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined May 2010
86 Posts
Discussion
my scratchbuild hovercraft

this is my first attempt at a hovercraft, had a big pile o spare parts from various planes and whipped this thing up one night for fun.

its made from foam board and hot glue, with a bag type skirt that has been taped to the hull top and bottom then slits cut in.

lift motor is a 1800 kv from a skyfun with a 18 amp esc, and a 3s 850 mah battery.

pusher motor is a 2200 kv stock floater jet motor with a 30 amp esc and a 3s 2200 mah battery.

to my surprise this thing performs fairly decently. no flip overs or roll overs. i think i may have designed the skirt too small, as it does not inflate much which makes asphalt racing very fun but even little bumps or stones get me caught pretty easily. the hover motor works at about 80 percent all the time to get a good glide, and temps stay fairly decent. speed is about 55-60 kph top end.

so far ive made a couple tweaks to the design. i put more throw on the rudders (even though i find its still not enough and may build a thrust vectoring system) and added a gyro for control.

flight time is fairly decent, only relying on my lift battery for time. about 10 minutes, and i have 2 of those, so by the time my lift batteries are done the pusher is done too.

i think im gonna keep tweaking till i get the mechanics right then build a better looking one.
ninjafishable is offline Find More Posts by ninjafishable
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 2010
209 Posts
Interesting project. I would really like to see a video of it!

Especially, how it runs at 50km/h. Whats the speed on water? Can it run on water?

Does the gyro make a big difference? How much does the craft weigh in total?

Video, video, video!!!
piito is offline Find More Posts by piito
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:16 PM
Joined May 2010
86 Posts
it cant run on water due to the foam board, maybe version 2 ill look into some water proof materials. the gyro works very well. i find i have to have it cranked to notice a difference though. not so much in corners but in a straight line it wont deviate off course.

ill see if i can bug the wife to take a video. 7 months pregnant might not happen lol.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined May 2010
86 Posts
oh and i weiged it too, 1 lb 4oz
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:35 AM
Joined Oct 2010
209 Posts
Weighs about the same as my hovercraft. We can drag-race!
piito is offline Find More Posts by piito