SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:56 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,042 Posts
Hi Cer

Wow that's going back a bit, when i got in the club i saw mostly Paragons as i believe Ed was making more kits of them as i think he was first in about 75' then Blaine & Dick were a couple yrs later and i don't think they built as many kits and the newness had worn off by then.
Each Sunday there were 5 or 6 Paragons and that is what they recommened for a newbie to build for his trainer and fun flyer after you learned, so that is what i did too plus Ed just lived close so i would stop and ask him question's on the building and as i was building he would let me fly he plane to learn a bit then when mine was done i had a little more feel about the learning curve.
So to be honest i did not see a Mirage or RO8 fly too much comparred to all of the Paragons that were being flown each week plus my own for years, for a floater there is not a better plane you just have to learn not to get caught too far down wind other than that it is a great flying ship for light days - quick turning - etc- a great fun flyer for just plain old thermal stuff it is a real credit to Ed's design that guys are still building & flying them after 35 yrs since the kit came out.
I have one i framed up 25 yrs ago that will be a E bird too once i get my new 60" Wood E Roadster done as that is the reason i joined the forum to find out what kind of power package to use with all the new stuff i did not know what to buy, so after a yr of reading i was really confused so i sent Nippon Dave a note and asked him and he sent me a list of all Hyperion stuff now i will have a E hot rod Paragon with power to spare.
Just need to get building after a few projects are done in the shop.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:57 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,956 Posts
Don, I thought that was a Mirage wing on the beauty you posted pics of above? How does it fly?

I was really hoping you would say the Mirage was the best, hands down
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:49 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,042 Posts
Hi E

I can't really compare because the E bird is quite heavy for a 100" plane, it is the same weight as my Paragon with 20" more wing and i never put ballast in the Paragon.

That is the reason i would like to put a new light power set up in that bird then i could compare the two, with the weight in the E one it moves along pretty well with that curved bottom wing.

Each one you build has the stuff you like and dislike, the con's are the E bird does not slow down enough for my tastes and the flat bottom winged Paragon is not good when down wind and trying to get it back to you.

Other than that both are fine birds.

G Don
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:56 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,956 Posts
Here's hoping I can give you some good test results on a super light 112" E-Mirage in a few weeks

On the build - Ive been futzing with the spoilers the last day and a half. Didnt like how they were working out so I took the whole mess out - TWICE - and started over.

I like how its working now FINALLY! Now I can get back to work on the other details and get ready to cover the center section. Just need to finish sheeting over the center and glass that part. Then a final sanding and its ready to cover. I'll post a couple of pics of the servo setup later.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined Apr 2005
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Cer

Wow that's going back a bit, when i got in the club i saw mostly Paragons as i believe Ed was making more kits of them as i think he was first in about 75' then Blaine & Dick were a couple yrs later and i don't think they built as many kits and the newness had worn off by then.
Each Sunday there were 5 or 6 Paragons and that is what they recommened for a newbie to build for his trainer and fun flyer after you learned, so that is what i did too plus Ed just lived close so i would stop and ask him question's on the building and as i was building he would let me fly he plane to learn a bit then when mine was done i had a little more feel about the learning curve.
So to be honest i did not see a Mirage or RO8 fly too much comparred to all of the Paragons that were being flown each week plus my own for years....

G Don
Don, thank you for the info. Sounds like a great club where the newbies learned the basics of flying with club member's gliders. And a floater such as the Paragon would have most of the newcomers hooked for life. With MrE, I had hoped for more observations on the Mirage. Had the Isthmus Models Mirage on my short list since I noticed the build thread on the Isthmus kit but there have been a few Hi-Flight/Dynaflite Mirage kits floating around (pardon the pun) so got ahold of one. Will miss the excellent laser cutting of the Isthmus kit, however.

MrE, will also be looking forward to seeing your E-Mirage.

BTW, Don, how's your fine feathered friend doing?
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:03 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,956 Posts
I went through a long back and forth process before I finally went with the Mirage. I looked at the Maurader, Paragon, Oly II and III, Sky Birds and several others. Ive been reading old build threads till Im cross eyed!

I finally settled on the Mirage for three main reasons.

1)It has the lowest wing loading of any of the group I looked at by a good bit. Its half the Maurader's weight and a good bit less than the Paragon and even the Oly's. At the same time, its capable of being balasted to almost double its base weight.
2)It also has a reputation for being able to penetrate in windy conditions - which many of the other 'gas bags' wont do well.
3)Isthmus Models kits have a great rep - which I can now attest to as well.

Price for the kit was also a factor. This last is partly due to my getting a deal on a short kit from a fellow RCGrouper, but the Isthmus kits are very reasonable.

If I had it to do over again, I would order the full kit from Isthmus. I spent a LOT more $$ and time buying balsa at the local hobby shops than it would have cost me for the full kit. I had to drive to 3 different ones to get all the stuff - and still didnt find everything at the quality I wanted or the exact sizes.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:02 AM
soaring guy
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
130 Posts
Bought a used E-Mirage

I bought a built and used Mirage from a person in Phoenix, AZ. It was complete except for receiver and batt. I bought it because I have a kit ready to go on the board, and wanted to see what I would do different. It was a great buy. It weighs 46.5 oz. and floats better than the Paragon's I have had in the distant past, and they were light weight.

I have purchased some of the power systems I plan to use. I have a Hyperion
2218-12 motor, 35 amp castle Phoenix ESC and a couple of Hitech 65MG servos for elevator and rudder. The motor will pull about 350 watts with an 11-6 AN prop. Should be plenty of power if I want to go to an ALES contest.

I am interested how you set up your spoiler system and would appreciate some photos. I can't agree in having the batt. on the CG. The plane I bought has that and it is a pain. Take the wing off to do anything. I plan to move the servos to the rear of the wing cord and have a cavity large enough to put any 3S pac I want under the new balsa canopy. Any photos of how modified
the motor mount would also be appreciated.
Thermals,
Dee
dwood75 is offline Find More Posts by dwood75
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:26 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,956 Posts
Hi Dee,

Sorry, Ive been lazy about taking and posting pics.

I decided to go 4 bays wide on the spoilers and they extend from the rear of the spar cap to the rear turbulator. Thats roughly 1 5/8" wide by 10 3/4" long each.

I made the blades by laminating two pieces of 1/16 balsa together with some scrap .5 oz fiberglass cloth in between using Tightbond. It makes for a somewhat stiffer spoiler blade than just a 1/8" piece at a slight weight penalty.

The pictures should explain everything else pretty well. If not, feel free to ask about any details. This is the same basic setup as I show in post 19 above including the same spring bending technique. The only difference is Im using small pieces of plastic tube to hold the spring ends instead of sticking them into the balsa.

That power system will easily get you to ALES levels if you stay at that total weight. Im hoping top get 'close enough' with a lot less. Closer to 100 watts peak. Im also hoping to be about a pound lighter than you
Last edited by MrE; Sep 24, 2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:38 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,956 Posts
Hmmm. Cant get long winded in the picture description area!

The last two shots above show a cross piece I added that sits directly under the turbulator and holds the 90 bent plastic tubing to guide the string.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:01 PM
soaring guy
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
130 Posts
MrE -- Thanks for the photos and info, looks like the system should work.

Dee
dwood75 is offline Find More Posts by dwood75
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:14 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,042 Posts
Hi Cer

This new little guy is a strange one and would not let me touch him for 6 to 7 wks so i rubbed him through the cage bars then one day he was setting on the door dowel and i rubbed his head & neck and i think he right then figured out this loving stuff was not too bad after all, now he it the most tame one i have had yet and can rub his back - wings - tail. But one thing he is doing the last 2 wks is when riding on my shoulders and not ready to get off he clamps my fingernail between his beak and squezes it and boy does that hurt so i'am not sure how correct this new thing he is doing other than that he is pretty cool talking & singing in my ear while we are walking around the house & shop.
He is just 6 months old so he still has a lot of learning to do so i guess he is a keeper being he is a show bird he is a very pretty guy to look at being all cream colored with lemon pin feathers spotted all over and solid on his legs - tail and head and nice tall crest feathers and yellow cheek patch's.
His mutation is a ' Double Factor Dominate Yellow Cheek Pearled Lutino Cock ' that is sure a handfull for such a little guy, not sure of a name yet as my first guy for 16 yrs was called ' Wingnut ' so maybe be ' Wing Too ' for Wingnut # 2 or ' L.D.' for lemondrop
Have any ideas as i'am open for new names to mull over, thanks

G Don
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:59 PM
Joined Apr 2005
419 Posts
Hi Don,
He definitely is a keeper! Talking as well as singing definitely adds to the pleasure of having him. Mine wanted to have her head scratched, bowing its head to let me know, but never was able to 'talk.' A couple of weeks ago my son and I visited the pet shop and there were a couple of cockatiels in the open-air enclosure and one of them was very happy to have his head rubbed. A couple of weeks later, they were gone, sold hopefully to owners that will treat them well.
Do not know how to stop yours from biting hard when you want to get him off your shoulder. Mine would gently nibble my finger.
A name? Thought I might find one from your interest in cars and motorcycles and looked at your DND website again (really impressed with your superdetailed model motorcycles and racecars you have available) for any hints. Well, did come up with a couple motorcycle names: Softail, and Knuckle Chopper.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:51 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,042 Posts
Hi Cer

I forgot to answer your post # 47 yes the E bird does use the Mirage wing but with 4 panels as i'am hooked on the Paragon wing look for 30 yrs. as Ed hit the poly angles right on the money.

Maybe i can take softail and turn it in to Yellowtail but still thinking about Wing too also, My first guy was like a little person in feathers he was so sharp as i taught him to whistle when he heard a Harley as i live on a main street and the bikes are out all the time he would just go nuts when we were out front at the gate and see a pack of them riding by.
I had 4 bikes on my table covered up and i would tell him to go wake up his motorcycle so he would put his head under the cover and whistle at the bikes to wake them up , what a crack up he was and loved to get his pic taken setting on the bars if you go to the site and sitemap under bike details go to springer front end and you can see him on the evo chopper just setting there looking cool.
Too bad i can't get one like him again but this guy is more tame as i can pet him anywhere so it is just time i think and i'am not teaching him any of my whistles so he can sing , where wingnut copyed my sounds all the time and i like to hear this bird sing too and i got some trick DVD's and wan't to teach this guy to do some tricks like pushing a scooter - riding a bike etc already thinking about building a 3 wheel chopper trike for him to ride on a pedal it to.

Neat stuff these little guys !!

Thanks for the kind words on my bikes & cars.

G Don
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:15 PM
Joined Apr 2005
419 Posts
Hi Don,
Went back to your website and saw the pix. Great looking bird and bike!
Noticed the pix of your sharp looking sailplane also; looks like the Graphite Goose you have mentioned in previous posts.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:17 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,042 Posts
Hi Cer

The Graphite Goose was pretty trick in the day but today its all different, the one thing that i had not thought about too much was the 7 lbs and i was used to a 3 lb floater and boy that was a shock because it just takes off and boggies and i had to put some back trim in her to slow her down so there is no lurking around its go to point's a - b - c and if now bumps set her down.
So it is kind of a white knuckler to fly compared to my Paragon and others so i have the 144" Wood E Roadster light floater to build to take over and put the Goose out to pasture one day.

Wingnut sure liked to set on the bikes for show time , man he is surely missed with his very cool ways.

G Don