Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:29 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi E

That is really cool man, is the lower power a help or would you do better with a bit more?

G Don
Don, I mostly answered that question above. This power level is pretty darn good but a hair more would get you all the way to 200 meters. No point in giving away altitude if you dont have to - especially if you dont have to add any more weight.

Id say 200 watts peak would give you enough margine to reach the 200 meters even if it was a little windy. Im thinking today it was mostly around 5-7 mph. Just about perfect. Id say this power level would work well up to maybe 10-12 mph winds. Much over that and I wont fly anyway.

This motor is very comfortable running up to over 200 watts, so i think I will prop up to that level which should get me to 200 meters at max eyeball range every time.

Actually, Im going to wait on that until my new spinner and props get here. Im hoping they will be more efficient than the APC folders. Maybe I can get the extra climb I need without needing more power.
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:33 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,815 Posts
By the way, this spoiler set up worked beautifully for landing control. I maxed the landing points 3 of the 5 flights and got at least some points every flight.

Max landing points was only 25, so you can see it was close on the flight times.

It was the landing points that separated the top 4 spots. It was a close contest which makes it that much more fun
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:53 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,815 Posts
I added todays power numbers and climb rates into the chart above. Im really surprised, but the graph is still a very straight line at an average of 9 feet/minute/watt.

So, 200 watts peak static should be close to 160 watts in the air giving me about 1440 feet per minute or a climb of 720 feet in 30 seconds which is 219 meters. I think thats a comfortable margin.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:05 AM
soaring guy
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
130 Posts
Great show MrE but did you have to let the cat out of the bag re how good the Mirage is? Just kidding of course.
There is going to be an ALES contest November 19 in the Phoenix area, come on down, it will still be warm here. Would really like to see your plane and meet you.
Later,
Dee
dwood75 is offline Find More Posts by dwood75
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:22 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,815 Posts
Thanks for the invite Dee!

If it wasnt a 1500 mile drive Id take you up on that in a minute!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:13 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
543 Posts
It's Texas in So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
I havent tried spinning mine yet. Maybe I better practice that before I need it
Big boomers here North of San Diego for a few days now. Reminds me of the stuff in central Texas.

Yesterday my e-Mirage flew for 75 minutes on one motor run and consumed 483 mah of electrons. Fly as long as you want, but my neck gave out.
Probably half of the flight was with the spoilers deployed and often with some down elevator or flat spinning with spoilers. I am considering lengthening the spoilers.

Those chrome pieces of Monokote on leading edge are wonderful.

I have found that I have to be more conservative with the Mirage at high altitude because it can disappear in an instant. I don't let it get too small.

Craig
craigrrr is online now Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:08 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,028 Posts
Hi Craig

That is one reason i wan't a 12 footer next so i can see it with my old eye's, they sure aint what they used to be so i'am a hope'n that the added 2 ft will save my arse!!

Besides they just look cool too being big!

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:05 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Craig

That is one reason i wan't a 12 footer next so i can see it with my old eye's, they sure aint what they used to be so i'am a hope'n that the added 2 ft will save my arse!!

Besides they just look cool too being big!

G Don
I agree with you, Don.

I think 12 ft or 4 meters would be real nice. It sure would be nice to extend my geriatric visibility. On the other hand, four meters could get tiny real fast at that altitude. And you would have to be even more carefull to avoid blowing it up (long spoilers might help).

The cross country guys deal with this regularly, but I think their planes are built to take higher g's.

Craig
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:53 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,815 Posts
I got my new "turbo" spinner and and EMP folding props Monday and did some test flights.

I wont bother with the graphs. I'll just tell you they seem to be significantly LESS efficient than the APC folders.

I was getting climb numbers in the 6.3 to 7.6 ft/min/watt range for the 10x6 and 11x8 props on 2S and 3S packs.

The APC props of the same size were much more consistent and much better at 9 ft/min/watt.

The EMP props suck more power and give a lower climb rate.

That surprised me. The EMP props look just like the CAM props but they are plastic. They are thinner, balance better, run quieter and look to have better airfoils, but they are also more flexible than the APC props. That flexing is probably the issue.

I like the spinner. It looks well made for the price and comes with 3mm 3.17mm, 4mm and 5mm collets. Not bad for $17

I got the entire package from Cermark. They are great people to deal with.

So, nice spinner, lousy props.

Guess Im going to have to spring for some $$ CAM props.

I dont like the APC props at hi power levels - I cant get them to run smoothly enough.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:04 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,028 Posts
Hi E

From what i have seen over the last year or so the ' R F M ' brand was the best prop to buy, the best for being strong and working the best.

G Don
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:09 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,815 Posts
Don, Ive seen other very positive reports on the RFM props, but they dont have the sizes Im looking for. This motor battery combo looks to me like something in the 11x6 range will give me the best combination of 2S and 3S power. They go from a 10x6 and 10x8 up to 12". No 11" props at all.

Thanks for the tip though!
Old Nov 02, 2011, 03:37 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,815 Posts
I had an opportunity to "stress test" my Mirage today and unfortunately, I took it It was all due to pilot error too which ticks me off.

Luckily, the damage wasnt too bad at all

It was a nice cold almost perfectly calm morning, so I zipped out to the field and launched it. There wasnt much lift at 500-600 feet, so I decided to see what it was like up really hi. I did another motor run and took it up to about 1000 feet.

That got me into some serious lift but it also got me into some serious wind! I was slow realizing what was going on and let it get too far downwind.

At first I just gave it several clicks of down hoping to speed out of it but the wind was a lot stronger than I realized. So then I hit the power, but it was too far away and I could tell what was happening and lost site of it.

So I hit the spoilers on full and gave it some down and left hopeing to catch a wing glint of something. BUT thats when I made my second big mistake - I didnt take my finger off the throttle!

I finally saw it in a straight down dive just as I took my finger off the throttle. I tried to give it rudder hoping to get it into a spin - didnt want to pull out to steep at that speed and fold the wing.

That didnt work. It disappeared behind a row of trees waaaaaaaay off field.

Took me a while but I finally found it with the fuse sticking straight up out of the ground and the wing off to one side.

Damage is surprisingly little!

Broke one wing joiner - but the tape held the tip in place.

There are three or four minor holes in the mono from some weeds.

The center section has a dent in the leading edge and a crack in the sheeting up front. Spar and ribs seem to be fine and so far I see no other damage.

The battery pack tore up the forward wing hold down former when it shot forward. Battery seems to be fine.

Servo mount tore loose but servos seem fine.

The spinner was about 3" down in some soft soil and seem fine. I need to take it all apart and check the motor, make sure nothing is bent etc, but it looks good so far.

The tail feathers stayed on the plane! I expected the nylon bolt to fail, but it didnt. Maybe the carbon alignment rod helped out. In any case, my mounting technique seems to be more than strong enough!

The top sheeting on the fuse did spilt from the tail half way to the wing saddle. That will be an easy fix though.

Thats it! if the motor and spinner check out, it will be about a hours work to patch it up.

I guess some days you get just about lucky enough to help off set the stupid!
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:25 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,028 Posts
Hi E

That's a shame but you still have her and thats the good thing, it is just amazing when flying these things how it can go from man this is really cool to OH Sh-t now what and how do i save this bird.

I think all thermal pilots have been there a time or two and it just catch's you off guard, my Paragon's have gotten me in trouble more than once but have been lucky and saved them.

Seems like we are hard headed about the not going too high stuff as it looks neat way up there doing its thing, but each time it does start to sink in on being more carefull.

G Don
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:11 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
543 Posts
MrE:

I sure am sorry to hear of your damage; but I am glad you got it back and it is repairable.

I crashed my Mirage once due to a rudder servo failure. The fuse was ok but the wing required some work - the repair job added over one ounce to the wing.
After that I decided to spend the money and use top quality servos.

Hope you get it back in the air soon.

Craig
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:05 PM
soaring guy
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
130 Posts
MrE--Been there done that too. I call it "Target Fixation", just a couple more turns in the lift and I'll head back. Sure, I now talk to myself about just another couple of turns, and head back NOW. But I still did it once this year and was lucky to get the plane back without damage, except to my shorts.
dwood75 is offline Find More Posts by dwood75