HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:36 PM
México, NL, Guadalupe
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
Discussion
Electric power pod

Hey guys I´m new to rcgroups and would like to share a video I just made of an electric power pod I just finished for my sailplanes.

just click on the link, hope you like it.

Power pod (7 min 39 sec)
ROLO1963 is offline Find More Posts by ROLO1963
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:52 PM
GliderPilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
WOW I like this and a great video too. You have a beautiful place o fly a well. Thanks for sharing.
rickhensley is offline Find More Posts by rickhensley
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:52 PM
México, NL, Guadalupe
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhensley View Post
WOW I like this and a great video too. You have a beautiful place o fly a well. Thanks for sharing.
Hey Rick I did reply to your kind PM but since I´m new to this place I am not sure if it went trough, here is another video that I made in the same flying area but with an ST Models DG-1000, hope you like it.

DG 1000 From ST Models (10 min 36 sec)
Old Sep 05, 2011, 03:05 PM
GliderPilot
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
ROLO1963 great video work there buddy. I too have the ST DG-1000, and I do not think anyone who has purchased this plane has been sorry they did. It is a great flyer but w/a bit of tweaking, a super sailplane can be had.
Again, what a beautiful city in the back ground.
The power stalk is good f/a break, but an inverted or flip as you hit the ground will break it off, use care doing this. But what you have done w/the power pod, I am sure you would just make one better than came with the kit!
Also look @ Turnigy Adj Slow Down Servo Speed Regulator from HobbyKing.
Using this keeps the power stalk from slaming up/down and greatly prolongs the life of this compoment.
Look forward to more from you. And welcome to the Forum. Rick
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:04 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
nice video ROLO1963.

what camera did you use on the T-tail of the DG-1000? I am trying to fly with a Go-Pro HD on my sailplanes, but it's a lot of weight, and drag.
Looks cool, when I burn the video to Blu-ray though
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 05, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:48 AM
México, NL, Guadalupe
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
nice video ROLO1963.

what camera did you use on the T-tail of the DG-1000? I am trying to fly with a Go-Pro HD on my sailplanes, but it's a lot of weight, and drag.
Looks cool, when I burn the video to Blu-ray though
The camera is a keychain camera but #11 version, it ís a true HD 1280 x 720 camera, it works great if you use a #4 class or #6 class micro SD card, I am using a #4 16GB card and it can record up to 4 hours of video, the battery it´s a small lipo that last only about 50 or 60 mins but this camera can record while connected to a power supply ( that´s good for traveling, biking etc.. ).

I got mine at eletoponline365 at ebay, it´s $ 40.00 US dollars including shipping, usb cable and charger ( 12v car type charger ), you got to buy the card somewhere else, here is the link for all the info you need:
http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C11/index.html

By the way, that´s a great sailplane you got!

Cheers!

Rolando.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:20 PM
México, NL, Guadalupe
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhensley View Post
ROLO1963 great video work there buddy. I too have the ST DG-1000, and I do not think anyone who has purchased this plane has been sorry they did. It is a great flyer but w/a bit of tweaking, a super sailplane can be had.
Again, what a beautiful city in the back ground.
The power stalk is good f/a break, but an inverted or flip as you hit the ground will break it off, use care doing this. But what you have done w/the power pod, I am sure you would just make one better than came with the kit!
Also look @ Turnigy Adj Slow Down Servo Speed Regulator from HobbyKing.
Using this keeps the power stalk from slaming up/down and greatly prolongs the life of this compoment.
Look forward to more from you. And welcome to the Forum. Rick
Hey Rick, I didn´t find the slow down servo speed regulator that you recomend, can you send me the link to order one?
I just came from flying my sophisticated lady with the electric power pod, it flew great, I will post a video of it soon.
Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:23 PM
GliderPilot
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLO1963 View Post
Hey Rick, I didn´t find the slow down servo speed regulator that you recomend, can you send me the link to order one?
I just came from flying my sophisticated lady with the electric power pod, it flew great, I will post a video of it soon.
Thanks!
Go to www.Hobby King.com........from there go to electronics and you should find this item. Hope this has helped.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:54 PM
México, NL, Guadalupe
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
New video with the same power pod on a Sophisticated Lady glider.

Sophisticated Lady.wmv (13 min 52 sec)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:01 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
[QUOTE=ROLO1963;19875812]New video with the same power pod on a Sophisticated Lady glider.

FLYING BACKWARD ?
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:42 AM
México, NL, Guadalupe
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
[QUOTE=Zor;19880692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLO1963 View Post
New video with the same power pod on a Sophisticated Lady glider.

FLYING BACKWARD ?
No way! the position of the camera sometimes gives that impresion depending which way the plane is turning, the camera was some 10 inches in FRONT of the left wing and also some 8 inches above, you can see it´s shadow when turning.

Happy Landings!

Rolo
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:42 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
98 Posts
ROLO1963,
Impressive work fabricating your power pods, thanks for sharing. What sort of pitch changes do you experience as you go to full power? Do you compensate via programming?

Very nice videos too, the info you shared on your cameras is very helpful.
windsong is online now Find More Posts by windsong
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:34 AM
México, NL, Guadalupe
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
Hello Windsong,

Thank you for your kind comments, yes there is a change in pitch when you turn the motor on, specially if you turn it on to high speed at once, this change in pitch only last some 2 to 3 seconds and after that everything becomes normal except for the climb rate ofcourse and the speed.
I don´t have to compensate with radio nothing at all, not even the trims, what I do is just add power slowly and that´s it!
When launching I do it with only 1/3 of the power and when airborne then I add slowly more power if needed.

Regards.

Rolo.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:35 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,150 Posts
ROLO great job and video.I will have to build one myself .I used to fly a G/L with a .049 on a pod It worked well ,but yours is much better.Your trim changes are minor .I had to aim the motor with up thrust and do a full trim change power on or off your 's looks very manageable.Is that Guadalupe in the back ground?Beautiful.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:40 PM
México, NL, Guadalupe
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc993 View Post
ROLO great job and video.I will have to build one myself .I used to fly a G/L with a .049 on a pod It worked well ,but yours is much better.Your trim changes are minor .I had to aim the motor with up thrust and do a full trim change power on or off your 's looks very manageable.Is that Guadalupe in the back ground?Beautiful.
Hello Doc, I used to fly too with a .051 cox teedee pod, that was around 1982

Electric pods are much better! no mess to clean after flying, you can turn on and off the motor whenever you want, you can use a folding prop, etc etc..
In fact the area you see in the video is Valle Oriente, it´s just a short 10 mins of driving from home

Thanks for your comments!

Rolo