HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:37 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Mini-Review
Review: Dynamic Foamy ultra-micro Yak-55 kit

Well, winter season is knocking at our door in North America, so it's time to give you my personal review if the awesome Dynamic Foamy ultra-micro Yak-55 kit. Sadly, I could not get the right from the administrators to write a real nicely formated article, so I'm giving it to you in a PDF format instead.... (normal forum posts are ugly for a review... Sorry)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...2&d=1315232941

Here's some very early videos I made. This airplane is truly awesome. Keep in mind that Bert Wilson from Dynamic Hobby told me that it has been improved since then, so it can only be better (if that's possible! )

If you're looking for a great airframe kit to replace a damage ultra-micro fuselage, don't look any further... If you have questions, I'll be happy to answer them!

Those videos were taken with a Nano Tech 160mah. I'm showing my Tx at the end because it basically flew with NO trim. Watch carefully how little input is needed for Knife Edges or Hover...

Micro Yak-55 by Dynamic Foamy, indoor flight (5 min 11 sec)

Now, outdoor, with just a little bit of wind...

Micro Yak-55 by Dynamic Foamy, outdoor in my front yard (3 min 11 sec)

So, you have the electronic? Go buy one! (Or three ) NOW!
http://www.dynamicfoamy.com/YAK55%20micro.html
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; Sep 05, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:57 AM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
awesome review! now i want one
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:20 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashkick View Post
awesome review! now i want one
Thanks!
Bad news is: You have to badly crash one of your 4 channel ultra-micros first! (or I guess somebody could buy all the electronic from somewhere...)
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:28 AM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
haha i know, i just bought an umx extra300 airframe and i still haven't even smashed my 4-site to pieces
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:45 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,953 Posts
Man Gambler thanks to your review I just ordered one. Time to work on some graphics and get the airbrush out.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:23 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Haha I am trying to destroy my 4-site too, I am pretty sure I am going to get one of these Yaks once the 4S is deemed unrepairable!

What motor/prop are you using? Edit: never mind. Just read the full review - all 4S parts, nice

Have you crashed it at all? If so, how durable/crash resistant is it? Is the foam flexible (like the extra 300 appears to be) or does the foam tend to break or crease? And if it creases, can it be "steamed" back to flat? I noticed in both videos you didnt land it - is there anything protecting the rudder from scraping if landed on pavement?
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Last edited by telos81; Sep 05, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:59 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
Haha I am trying to destroy my 4-site too, I am pretty sure I am going to get one of these Yaks once the 4S is deemed unrepairable!

What motor/prop are you using? Edit: never mind. Just read the full review - all 4S parts, nice

Have you crashed it at all? If so, how durable/crash resistant is it? Is the foam flexible (like the extra 300 appears to be) or does the foam tend to break or crease? And if it creases, can it be "steamed" back to flat? I noticed in both videos you didnt land it - is there anything protecting the rudder from scraping if landed on pavement?
Me crashing? Are you kidding? SURE! Crashed it a lot. It seem a bit more fragile than the Extra 300 (I'm a pro at crashing, must have crashed the Extra 100 times) but they are very close. Luckily for me, it's easily fixable. I just use my good old UHU to repair the crack. As long as the film (mylar?) doesn't break, repair are very strong (the film is really what's holding the whole plane together like the Extra).

I land it a lot, but for some reason, this one is very easy to hand catch, so since I discovered that new skill, I tend to use it a lot (maybe too much? Sure enough, it's nice to show off as it has a good WOW factor with the crowd, and it's easy to do). I thought those fake wheels would be useless, but they do the trick. You can take off and land like a normal airplane and they skid easily on smooth floors. I used UHU glue on mine, but I think my first mod ever will be to use epoxy glue on them to fix them solid (they now bend a lot, so I'm thinking a little spot of epoxy will spread the load better.)

The latest release has a modification included to protect the rudder (little skidding feet). The airplane I'm flying was a beta kit, and didn't had it. So, don't worry about the rudder, it's been taken care of. Here's a photo of my messed up kit (no film applied, and I did screw it up... You can see the foam being eaten by the Krylon glue...). I've not tested the latest release, but it has been improved in a few spots...
Last edited by RealGambler; Sep 05, 2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added photo
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:26 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
Man Gambler thanks to your review I just ordered one. Time to work on some graphics and get the airbrush out.
TODD
You lucky guy.... I have no artist blood in me! The only airplane I've airbrushed turned out funny. My friends don't want to fly with me when I take it out

Seriously though, not sure how airbrush would come out on that film. But anybody good with Sharpies could surely come out with something outstanding.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Ordered.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:58 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
on its way!
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:01 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
on its way!
hey hey! we live really close to each other!

where do you fly?
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:08 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
that plane I'm planning on using indoors in auburn mass and the indoor one up near manchester I believe it is......Im from Stonington.
last year i had my micro index for indoors but its had a rough life and noone really makes them...you hafta cut em out etc so im looking for something quicker to get up and going.
I have some brushless stuff to try on one now too...both 1s and 2s
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:21 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
just got an email from them saying its available in more colors now ...they added red , blue, and green
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:26 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
just got an email from them saying its available in more colors now ...they added red , blue, and green
I got that email too! I picked red
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:27 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
Blue........didnt want green for flying indoors where the floor is artificial grass, that may have been too much green....who knows