HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Discussion
FPV advice....Yet another noob question

Hey there, my name is Matt and this is my first post on RCGroups. I have done a lot of browsing on the site trying to answer my many RC questions. I didn't make an account because most of my questions have been answered by previous posts and Im not knowledgeable to give any answers. However, I now have a specific question. I have a goal to setup an amazing FPV system on a quadracopter so that I can use it to shoot weddings, maybe local commercials, and above all HAVE A BLAST. This is the copter I am looking at :http://www.xaircraft.org/2011/05/new...4-value-8.html . and I am debating between the first 4 FPV systems on this page http://www.hobbywireless.com/cart/in...eaejas98dec634 . I am planning on using a GoPro cam and using a laptop as my "goggles" for now. As you can see, this will be a big purchase and I just some input from the pros. Range is something that is important to me... I would like at least 1.5 miles just to be safe. I haven't bought a transmitter yet but I am thinking of getting the dx7. Please be honest with me and let me know what you would change and what you like.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
kickythekick is offline Find More Posts by kickythekick
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:50 AM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Im looking at getting the XAircraft 650 V4. But you need to learn to fly RC first before getting into FPV. Not a big deal. Start with an easy to fly foam plane. Go to your local RC club and join. They will teach you to fly. Its a great hobby.

Something like this would be a great first plane. Cheap and easy. $120 US

Where are you at. (no location listed)

Sky Surfer! RTF Electric RC Glider FLIGHT REVIEW! In HD! bananahobby.com! (10 min 28 sec)
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:59 AM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I live in Colorado, just north of Denver. I have an unhealthy obsession with (real) helicopters and have flown cheap park flyers on and off. I have just recently bought the p-51d mustang by ParkZone and I am loving it. I also have a Sukhoi micro. I know that flying can be a tricky hobby with a steep learning curve and I still have a way to go. I am making a concious effort to fly my plane at least 5 days a week but I wonder how much that will help me with learning a quadrocopter. I plan on flying it AT LEAST a month before mounting all the video gear on it. As far as the V4 goes.... I am also contemplating getting it, it's just that for an extra 100 bucks I get a lot more power. So tempting...
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:59 AM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Oh, you said "I haven't bought a transmitter yet but I am thinking of getting the dx7." so I thought you havent flew RC before. My bad.

Get Realflight 5.5 and fly Helis till you mater the sim. That would be a start. Scott
Old Sep 05, 2011, 03:23 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
Welcome and good to hear you're using the FPV forums to answer your questions. A lot of great info in these forums.

If you're into FPV I recommend getting your HAM operators license to legally use the video transmitters if you don't already have it.

Here is a great link to info on how to study for the exam.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=technicians

There some amazing FPV quad folks so stick around and see who they are and you'll advance greatly. Have fun and enjoy.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
Oh, you said "I haven't bought a transmitter yet but I am thinking of getting the dx7." so I thought you havent flew RC before. My bad.

Get Realflight 5.5 and fly Helis till you mater the sim. That would be a start. Scott
Haha, well that would be my fault for a misleading statement. I have the dx4 for my Mustang but am planning on getting an transmitter that I can really grow into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
Welcome and good to hear you're using the FPV forums to answer your questions. A lot of great info in these forums.

If you're into FPV I recommend getting your HAM operators license to legally use the video transmitters if you don't already have it.

Here is a great link to info on how to study for the exam.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=technicians

There some amazing FPV quad folks so stick around and see who they are and you'll advance greatly. Have fun and enjoy.
Thanks for the link, it looks really helpful and I'm glad to hear it's cheap to acquire.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Can you give me names of a couple of the quad fpv'ers on the site? I am really anxious to get these items ordered (could be a wait on the v8) and I have many questions...
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:42 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickythekick View Post
Can you give me names of a couple of the quad fpv'ers on the site? I am really anxious to get these items ordered (could be a wait on the v8) and I have many questions...
Here is a thread on the XAircraft X650. It has over 10,000 post in it. Lots of info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326529