HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:35 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2010
199 Posts
Discussion
Fy-20a vs eagletree guardian?

For those of you who have used the eagle tree guardian how do you compare it to the Fy-20a? The fy-20a seems like it would be more sensitive and stable to me. Though i've never tried the eagle tree guardian. For those that have tried both of these stabilizers what are the pros and cons from a personal stand point. Thanks
g3f0rc3 is offline Find More Posts by g3f0rc3
Last edited by g3f0rc3; Sep 04, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:38 PM
I should be flying right now!
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined May 2010
450 Posts
I have used both and the Guardian wins hands down. The RTH home works on my skywalker with all default settings using the Guardian. I had problems with my Fy-20A getting it level, I never got it to work right in Pitch control, I had the ailerons only going thru it. They Fy-20A helped with RTH but you had to tweak all the settings in the OSD to make the turns stable. With the Guardian you can get the plane trimmed out in level flight, go into the ET OSD menu to reset level flight and it is perfect level flight from then on.

On hand launch I have full stabilization on with heading hold and give several clicks of up elevator trim. You can just give it a toss and it will climb nice and level, no stick input required. I am very impressed with how well the Guardian works, especially with RTH. You can even set it up so you have no stabilization during normal flight and it only kicks in for RTH, many options compared to an add on FY-20A for half the price.
al1242 is offline Find More Posts by al1242
Old Sep 05, 2011, 03:00 PM
ITALY
Joined Aug 2006
418 Posts
I'm usign fy21-ap with osd ap117 and what i can say it is fantastic. In RTH you can put away your radio.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by al1242 View Post
I have used both and the Guardian wins hands down. The RTH home works on my skywalker with all default settings using the Guardian. I had problems with my Fy-20A getting it level, I never got it to work right in Pitch control, I had the ailerons only going thru it. They Fy-20A helped with RTH but you had to tweak all the settings in the OSD to make the turns stable. With the Guardian you can get the plane trimmed out in level flight, go into the ET OSD menu to reset level flight and it is perfect level flight from then on.

On hand launch I have full stabilization on with heading hold and give several clicks of up elevator trim. You can just give it a toss and it will climb nice and level, no stick input required. I am very impressed with how well the Guardian works, especially with RTH. You can even set it up so you have no stabilization during normal flight and it only kicks in for RTH, many options compared to an add on FY-20A for half the price.
brifa is offline Find More Posts by brifa
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:48 PM
I should be flying right now!
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined May 2010
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brifa View Post
I'm usign fy21-ap with osd ap117 and what i can say it is fantastic. In RTH you can put away your radio.....
I'm sure the FY21-ap works well but that is like 3x the cost of a FY-20. I think OP was wanting to compare going FY-20 versus the Guardian add on, if your not already running ET OSD, the Guardian is not an option.
al1242 is offline Find More Posts by al1242
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:25 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
I was going to try the Guardian, but its not a stand alone unit. You still have to buy all the other ET stuff to get it working.

So comparing the price of the FY20 and the Guardian is really not an Apple to Apple comparison, since the FY20 is stand alone.

Without my FY20, I would probably have never gone into FPV.

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:49 PM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
Guardian <3
FPV Grim Reaper 9-4-2011 (8 min 57 sec)
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:09 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSilver View Post
nice stable flying mate..... but your cam is crap
btw what is happening when failsafe kick in? the plane is rolling left/right for some reason.... no good
octane81 is online now Find More Posts by octane81