HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2001, 05:12 PM
College Station, TX, 77840
Joined Oct 1999
26 Posts
Filip V vs Jim B HLG sailplanes

I'm just looking for some shopping advice here. I've long wanted a HLG and right now I don't have the time to build one. These two are sold by Hobby Lobby and I would like to know how popular they are. I guess the two most important design parameters for me are relatively easy launch and maximum up time. Thanks for your advice!
Noah
noahhicks is offline Find More Posts by noahhicks
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2001, 11:45 PM
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2000
982 Posts
Noah:

In my opinion both of these gliders are on the heavy side for optimum performance. My Lil Bird glider has about the same wing area as both of the models you mention but only weighs 8 oz compared to their 13+ ounces. At this weight and low wingloading it will react to and fly well in the lightest of lift. The Hobby Lobby gliders would probably work fine off of a mini high start but thermaling from a true hand launch might be a bit of challenge. If you can spend a tad more money you could get something like a Softik 1.5 meter hlg from Northeast Sailplanes that has much lighter wingloading than HL's models which will give you a better chance of success at hand launch.

Greg
greg morrison is offline Find More Posts by greg morrison