HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:07 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Discussion
A few pics of my Tamiya 240z

Looking pretty good I think Anyone else have one?

seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:10 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,367 Posts
Not yet Looks good I have been eying one of those cars for a while.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Man the motor gets HOT in this thing, I think the heat sink attachments should be mandatory. The throttle shut down on me twice today while running in light off road conditions, but when I turned the TX off and back on, it worked again, so I am not sure if it was a heat cutoff on the ESC or what. The ESC fins weren't too hot to touch but the motor i am using was hot enough to smell like something was burning :/. It is probably about to die anyway, poor old thing.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:10 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,367 Posts
You might need to change gearing to cool the motor down a bit. Still looks good though.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:14 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Having problems today, I ran some motor cleaner through the motor and re oiled it, and it is running even hotter than before, causing the car to shut down. Either the stock ESC can't take it at all (it is a 16 or 17t speed gems2) or the brushes are too worn. Would using really worn brushes typically cause this kind of overheating? I may just stick in another stock motor I have that is still better than the 540 while i save up for a BL setup. The battery is also getting very hot very quick.

Oh yeah and now I am using the big spur gear with the little pinion to try to minimize the stress, and the drive train itself is quiet and smooth so that shouldnt be it.

[edit] took one more wack at the motor, opened it up completely, cleaned the comm, sprayed and wiped more dust out, also the magnets inside had somehow slid so they were right next to each other instead of spread apart evenly. After this I was able to get a 10 minute nice fast run with no shutdowns! Motor and batt still got too hot for my comfort level but the ESC wasn't overly so. I guess the comm being so dirty was the main problem. I may have changed the timing slightly when I put everything back too but its working!
Last edited by seeingeyegod; Sep 05, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:28 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
Sounds like the motor is drawing more amps than the battery can handle. Is the battery a nimh or lipo?
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:32 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
its an 1800 mah Ni-cad
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:11 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
Is that ESC even rated for a 16t motor? You might be pushing the ESC harder than it likes.

How hot is hot on the battery? Nicad packs ran on the warm side all the time. Typically unless you're melting the heat shrink/cell wrappings you're ok.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Esc

Technically no, it is rated for like a 23 or 24 turn, but I put bigger heatsinks on it from an old novak ESC that snapped onto the stubby fins on this Tamiya one, so I think it will be alright, I have an older Futaba ESC that was only rated for stock motors and I literally tried to kill it with 7 cells and this same motor and the worst that ever happened was thermal shutdown.

The nicad was pretty warm but not burning. Still could hold it in my hand and everything, just hotter than I remember them getting. Waiting impatiently on my universal shafts from Taiwan. This car handles great and looks really cool with a little bit of body roll and oversteer going through corners. I think I am going to put a driver and co driver figure into the cockpit that I saw at the LSH . I also was trying to use an older buggy body as a dustcover but I think it impedes the airflow too much and this car really isn't meant to run in sand and dirt anyways. Asphalt rules.

Wouldn't it be relatively easy to convert this chassis to a buggy if I wanted to? I believe it is the same as the Avante, only with different shocks and suspension arms?
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:06 PM
There's A Hack For That.
United States, CA, Del Mar
Joined Oct 2008
421 Posts
awesome!
beladog is offline Find More Posts by beladog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Super Easy Quad Domes!