Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:11 PM
Gravity always wins !!!
UK, Essex, Tiptree
Joined Jan 2010
50 Posts
Discussion
My story so far

Hello everyone

Iíve been hovering (excuse the pun) around in the background for a while on this forum and feel it is time to introduce myself.

My interest in multi rotors began 2 years ago when I attended a demonstration of the Draganflyer Y6 with a view to adding this service to my existing mast photography business. Although it is a superb piece of kit I felt that with a price tag of £23000.00 it would never pay for itself before major parts wore out or damage occurred through crashes.

My challenge was to find a platform that had all the features and qualities at a more realistic price.

I purchased from ebay a Spectrolutions based quad and home made frame from another quad enthusiast whom you probably know from these forums.

Six months of learning to fly, crashing, hovering, crashing. rebuilding crashing, redesigning crashing, finally gave me the insight into how these things work and behave. I donít give up easily. Itís a bit like learning to play a musical instrument, in the beginning nothing seems to work or make sense, but as time goes by it all starts to fall into place. Having said that I am just a beginner compared with most people on this forum. I found on pleasant days the Spectrolutions based quad flies really well but it is not the platform for professional aerial photography.

My next task was to find a more suitable system. I looked at Mikro kopter and various other systems, although packed with very desirable features none were user friendly and required great amounts of expertise to build, programme and set up correctly.

Last year I came across Hoverfly Pro. Bingo the answer! Order placed!

I would like to congratulate George and the team for creating a board which is user friendly. As it matures and progresses with GPS and other tweaks. It should become a major contender in the field of multi rotor technology. Also all the talented friendly people on this forum who are willing to help and advise with any problems encountered.

The building begins. I decided to stick with the quad + configuration as I was used to that from my previous set ups. Various designs of frames came flew and went. Making mistakes and learning from them, utilising ideas and advice from forum members brings my Mark 3 quad to life. Very impressed how stable it flies and hovers, compared to my other quads. Even a beginner with little experience would soon be flying this with the help of AL. I have experienced some minor issues which may or may not be firmware related. Time will tell.

For those that are interested here is the build log for my current setup.

Frame 2 Mikro kopter centre plates 10mm square aluminium tubing

Landing gear Alware 450-500 Size FlyCam Stand

Enclosure for electronics Lock and lock 850ml food storage container

Motors Turnigy 22-13-22 924kv 180watts

ESC Hobbywing pentium 30amp

Propellers APC 10x4.7 SF

Battery 3s 2200mah Lipo

AUW 1.3kg

Motor to motor 700mm Diagonal

Flight time 6mins with camera on board

Firmware v2.366

Hoverfly Pro (Green board)

Radio Spektrum DX6i.

Look forward to your comments

Dave
Photo Elevate is offline Find More Posts by Photo Elevate
Last edited by Photo Elevate; Sep 05, 2011 at 03:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:19 PM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
641 Posts
Nice looking build!!!! Welcome to the HFPro club!
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:34 PM
Gravity always wins !!!
UK, Essex, Tiptree
Joined Jan 2010
50 Posts
Hi Ross

Thank you for your welcome to the HFP club much appreciated.

How are you getting on with your great looking hex?

I have just finished building the frame for my next project the heavy lifter X8.

I am still trying to decide which props, motors and ESC's to go with. So many people have tried different combinations, but no one has a definitive answer.

Any thoughts or recommendations most welcome

Dave
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:56 PM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
Been meaning to say hello and welcome!

ESCs are a bit of a mystery right now but the general consensus is Turnigy Plush. Castle won't work because of internal limiting to 50Hz update. I have used Balsa Products and others have used Hobby Wing and RC Timer.

As far as motors and props....best to use a calculator like this one

http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc
photronix is offline Find More Posts by photronix
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:34 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
641 Posts
Also check out this link as it shows what lots of people are using:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339214

Good luck!
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:20 PM
Gravity always wins !!!
UK, Essex, Tiptree
Joined Jan 2010
50 Posts
Motor Prop combinations

Thanks for the links and suggestions. Especially the software, xcopterCalc Calculator for MultiCopter. That should save a lot of guesswork and time.

I am researching various prop/motor combinations for my X8 build.

Looking at the tech specs on Draganfly innovations X8, http://www.draganfly.com/uav-helicop...pecifications/

It appears they favour in-runner motors rather than out-runners, why? And large custom made carbon fibre props,

They have configured their set up with 16in diameter rotors on top and smaller 15in on the bottom. Although I have read on this forum a good scientific explanation as to why it should be the other way round, interesting.

Obviously we do not know the kv rating etc of the motors or prop pitch which makes it difficult to replicate.

I would love to get my hands on a set of their props for testing. Anyone in the states got contacts in the spares department?

Should we be looking more out of the box, for slightly different combinations that may be of benefit?
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:21 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Aug 2010
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Elevate View Post
Thanks for the links and suggestions. Especially the software, xcopterCalc Calculator for MultiCopter. That should save a lot of guesswork and time.

I am researching various prop/motor combinations for my X8 build.

Looking at the tech specs on Draganfly innovations X8, http://www.draganfly.com/uav-helicop...pecifications/

It appears they favour in-runner motors rather than out-runners, why? And large custom made carbon fibre props,

They have configured their set up with 16in diameter rotors on top and smaller 15in on the bottom. Although I have read on this forum a good scientific explanation as to why it should be the other way round, interesting.

Obviously we do not know the kv rating etc of the motors or prop pitch which makes it difficult to replicate.

I would love to get my hands on a set of their props for testing. Anyone in the states got contacts in the spares department?

Should we be looking more out of the box, for slightly different combinations that may be of benefit?
The Draganflys are not exactly stable. I don't know that I would want to replicate any of their setup.
rallymatt is offline Find More Posts by rallymatt