HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:21 AM
Jim in Santee
United States, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Yippee!
Maiden flight of my Omega 1.8!

Finally put together my Omega which had been sitting on a shelf since I bought it in 2006. Chronic illness knocked me out of the hobby and finally I'm doing well enough to get back to it.

Building info:

I really was disappointed that the carbon/kevlar fuse wasn't painted. I just couldn't leave it looking like that so I went through a good deal of trouble to paint it. The main focus was on cleaning up the seams. I quickly found out that you can't sand kevlar smooth - it just fuzzes! But I figured primer would take care of that and luckily it did! I used Top Flite Lustrekote primer and paint. Worked pretty well but it took a good deal to cover the carbon. I got a few blemishes due to not letting it cure long enough - I waited a day but should have waited 2 or 3 before handling it!

I added Monokote trim and striping tape. I painted the canopy with Dupli-Color Mirage lacquer which gives red/blue/purple color depending on the angle of light - cool effect!

I sanded the nose so that a 40mm spinner would fit. Had to make my own firewall/motor mount as a result.

I reinforced the balsa sheet aileron wells with 1/64" plywood and attached the servos with servo tape along with a bead of silicon along the edges of the servo.

I installed the antenna so just the whisker stuck out of the top of the fuse - as suggested by Hitec for carbon fuses.

Equipment:

4 Hitec HS-45HB servos
Hitec Optima 6 receiver
Optic 6 radio w/2.4Ghz Spectra conversion module
Neo 450-1120 outrunner
BB 40mm spinner
Aeronaut 11/7 prop
Thunder Power 2S 1350 Lipo
Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC

Specs:

71" wingspan 445 sq in.
AUW w/2S 1350 - 25.5 oz 8.2 oz sq ft
15.9 amps/110 watts
Predicted climb: about 900ft min

Today's flight:

The wind was about 10-12 mph. I had another club member check things out and he confirmed that right was right, left was left,up was up and down was down! Seems silly when you have a lot of experience to ask someone else to check the controls - but how many planes have crashed because basic controls were reversed!

The club member launched the plane and it went almost straight up - wasn't sure how much the wind was a factor or if I just didn't have enough downthrust built in. A little down elevator corrected the angle and she continued the climb at about 60-70 degrees. It appeared that the climb rate was about as predicted - 900ft min.

About 300ft I shut the motor off and leveled off. I was immediately impressed at how stable the plane was. I did a few gradual turns and was very pleased with the handling. I had one of the original Omegas in 2001 - it tended to fall off in slow turns - but not this new version! It was rock solid and predictable!

I hit some thermal activity and was pleased with how the plane indicated lift without being thrown around and I was impressed with how well it went up! In some ways it felt like a floater but yet it penetrated well. My other small sailplanes tend to be a handful when the wind is over 10mph but the Omega wasn't tossed around like they were.

I had the CG at 35% so maybe the plane won't be so stable at 37-40%. But it thermalled so well that I might not feel the need to move the CG aft - I'm sure that will improve performance but I'd hate to lose any of the solid handling experienced at 35%.

When I set up for landing, I held a little extra speed because the wind was blowing across the runway. Sure enough the Omega's great glide ratio made it so I was too high. But I went around and set her down gently.

The total flight time was at least 30 minutes. The thing that struck me was how relaxing this glider was to fly - even on its maiden flight in 10-15 mph winds. I never felt nervous and didn't feel like I had to stay on top of the plane. Basically a great combination of thermal capability with predictable handling. And I gotta say I was really jazzed that I went through the trouble of putting a nice finish on the fuse - that glossy red paint job sure looked fabulous when the plane floated by overhead...

Jim
jshelton is offline Find More Posts by jshelton
Last edited by jshelton; Sep 04, 2011 at 06:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:31 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,894 Posts
Scha-Weet mon.
Slickest looking Omega I've ever seen.
I've got a 1.5 waiting on a Razor 400/Maxon GB conversion.
Congrats on a fine ship and a happy maiden.
Skies.
Jay.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:39 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Jim,

Love that paint job. I had a 1.8 Omega too. Mine was the poly version. It flew great. I just lost it 2 weeks ago. I have another one on the shelf waiting to be built. Congratulations on a great maiden. Keep up the good work.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:02 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Blast from the past! Sorry about your illness. It is a nice looking model. For me it flew great but a little fast for anything other than a real "flying field" - would have been great with flaps - so I used mine to experiment with full-span flaperons. It worked out OK but still not great for tight locations - you didn't want to do much maneuvering with them deployed. Not in any way a criticism of the model, I just fly more out of parks and schools than real flying fields any more.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:51 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,531 Posts
Nice paint job, colors,
I tried to buy an Omega II 1.8 (with flaps) for my son from NSP last summer, but it was never delivered.

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5688

here is a link to your Omega
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=4844
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 04, 2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:26 PM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
Scha-Weet mon.
Slickest looking Omega I've ever seen.
I've got a 1.5 waiting on a Razor 400/Maxon GB conversion.
Congrats on a fine ship and a happy maiden.
Skies.
Jay.
Thanks Jay. It is so rewarding to me to put all the work in it takes to get the plane to look and fly the way I want.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:32 PM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cook View Post
Hi Jim,

Love that paint job. I had a 1.8 Omega too. Mine was the poly version. It flew great. I just lost it 2 weeks ago. I have another one on the shelf waiting to be built. Congratulations on a great maiden. Keep up the good work.

Bob in Seattle
Thanks Bob. Sorry to hear about yours. I crashed my first Omega in 2006 after 5 years of flying it. I let it get too low in a park with a lot of light poles. I missed the light polesbut stalled the plane into the ground while dodging them!

Hope you get your other one going soon.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 05:59 AM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Blast from the past! Sorry about your illness. It is a nice looking model. For me it flew great but a little fast for anything other than a real "flying field" - would have been great with flaps - so I used mine to experiment with full-span flaperons. It worked out OK but still not great for tight locations - you didn't want to do much maneuvering with them deployed. Not in any way a criticism of the model, I just fly more out of parks and schools than real flying fields any more.
..a
Hey Andy! Great to reconnect with you here! It's a long story but I experienced total pituitary failure in 2001 and struggled with that until 2008 when the condition was miraculously reversed. To get back into the hobby I bought an Easy Star in 2009 and flew it occasionally but it just ain't the same as flying a true sailplane. I'm still dealing with an underlying autoimmune disorder but at least now I'm able to fly my planes on a regular basis!

This Omega slows down pretty well so it might do better than the older ones in a small flying area. I'm going to try using spoilerons and see how much they help landings.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:07 AM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
Nice paint job, colors,
I tried to buy an Omega II 1.8 (with flaps) for my son from NSP last summer, but it was never delivered.

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5688

here is a link to your Omega
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=4844
Thanks. I bought my Omega from NES in 2006 and it was delivered in a timely fashion but I guess things went south at NES after that.

You can get the Omega at Soaring USA.
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ubstring=omega

or the similar Magellan at Icare.

Jim
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:12 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Be careful with spoilerons. The reason the Omega flies faster than larger gliders is obviously it's relatively small wing, but also that wing is pretty sleek (low drag). The spoilerons kill lift but also effectively reduce wing area as well, so the model will fly and sink. That's one factor that had me try flaperons. It's fun to play with these things, though, and get a feel for what different settings do to the flight characteristics..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:55 AM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Be careful with spoilerons. The reason the Omega flies faster than larger gliders is obviously it's relatively small wing, but also that wing is pretty sleek (low drag). The spoilerons kill lift but also effectively reduce wing area as well, so the model will fly and sink. That's one factor that had me try flaperons. It's fun to play with these things, though, and get a feel for what different settings do to the flight characteristics..
..a
Actually, what I did was set up a Crow configuration without flaps. The idea is to deploy the ailerons as spoilers for landing or getting down from a boomer thermal. I don't know if that's considered spoilerons since I don't use that configuration for turning.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 04:05 AM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Put in another flight today and yesterday. Winds were gusting to about 15mph today with lots of turbulence. The Omega handled it well - I didn't have to constantly stay on top of it like I do with my other small gliders. Probably would have been better to fly the stiff winds with my heavier 2S 1800mAh battery instead of the 2S 1350mAh that I've been using although plane penetrated adequately.

I really like the power setup I have. The plane gets about as high as I'm comfortable with in 20 seconds. Pretty nice for a $30 motor.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:00 PM
Launch high, go long
Boise, ID
Joined Sep 2006
357 Posts
Jim,

I'm in the closing stages of the build of my Omega 2ME that I bought from NES about the same time as you. I started seriously building back in July but changed my motor choice because of the new ALES rules. I bought the 2m version because it has flaps and ailerons. I'll be following your thread to read about your flying impressions.

I was hoping to have it done and have some flight time on it to take to NM for this weekend's contest. I guess I'm just a slow builder or too picky about stuff!?

Good luck with your flights and I like your paint job!
Mike
LostVisual is offline Find More Posts by LostVisual
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:40 AM
Jim in Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Thanks Mike. The 2meter version sounds great!

I flew the Omega again today. It was windy and turbulent. It was a challenge working thermals. The Omega stayed up well but I did have to be careful when it was close to the ground. I tested my crow/spoileron configuration - the plane drops in a hurry with both ailerons up about 3/8". I'll test it during the landing approach on a calmer day.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:05 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,540 Posts
Hi Jim,

I have a 1.8M Omega that needs a new tail. I received it after it had been crashed and the tail feathers were not included. I need to make new tail pieces for it but I have nothing to work from. Would you be willing to give me some rough measurements of your tail pieces and possibly post a picture? Anything would help.

Thanks,

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence