6,742 Posts
Your wife has a great sense of humor. LOL
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:22 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Ok, I have one sample of this heli to experiment with now. So far all of the specs I've measured fit what others have posted.

I had no problem with battery connector alignment unlike some other reports. However I'll note that inserting the rightmost (looking from the front of the Tx) AA cell - well it had to be almost jammed in to fit unlike the other 3. Very odd.

Speaking of the Tx, it is a smooth finish plastic instead of the usual grippier micro-pebbled finish you typically find. It looks weirder than it feels though and in use it isn't slippery.

In default mode (low rates) the "ride" is nice, comparable to that of a good S107 (and I've never had a bad one) but a bit sedate. I'm not sure I've seen this sophistication from swashplate "high hat" rotor assemblies before and it may be an indication of higher quality.

In "high rates" mode the Scout CX is peppier than an S107. Some loss of precision is incurred and I suspect Horizon has made in error by increasing the rudder rate too far.

The scale of the heli is closer to a UDI U807 than either an S107 or S110, i.e. it falls in between. It seems to get good use out of its 70mAH LiPo though. While this "soldered on cap inserts as a unit into the socket" connection mechanism has its advantages it does limit you to Tx charging unless you make or obtain an adapter (cheater cord) for it or buy an HH/Blade charger I suppose. Otherwise get ready to replace Tx AAs, a lot.

As I said, it flies in "classy but sedate" and "peppy almost twtichy" modes.

I was gratified to see none of the TBE that the previous videos here show. Trim was almost perfect out of the box. The lack of aileron control isn't even missed. In high rates mode powered turns do skid however. If you bring the unit around in a wide powered arc and try to make anything approximating a 90 degree turn to power away from a collision.... you're gonna hit because of the turn skid. An S107 or U807 can power out of such a turn with no problem.

Though the general feel is fragile and flimsy the heli seems to survive modest colisions well, perhaps because of the cowling and tailfin plastic which isn't terribly brittle.

Overall this is a very interesting starter helicopter. The higher quality is easy to see, but at current pricing I'd still have to recommend the S107. Let 'em wreck that $20-shipped bird before investing $50 plus shipping.

If I were to change anything it would probably be the rudder rate in high rates mode. Drop that a little and take about $10 off the price and this thing would be very hard to beat.

I cannot imagine this heli doing well outdoors, even in a dead calm (which is seldom really as dead as all that). For that reason axing the 2.4GHz for IR might be the way to get part of that $10 off the retail price. But I'm going to give it a try outside soon anyway.

Bring on the "Me Toos" soon!
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:23 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Well after the first flight (5 minutes) it took the Tx 30 minutes to charge the LiPo a second time. I'm sure the AAs were fairly fresh (came in the heli box but this is a new-on-the-market heli) but there are only 4 in this Tx. Not a lot of juice there.

Giving this to someone as a first heli might make them reconsider Mahjong with Grandma and her pals at the Home as an exciting hobby.

Most likely a real battery eater too. Primary alkaline cells are recommended, so rechargeable AAs may be out of the question. This heli needs an alternate charging system, I'm no longer used to waiting more than 10 to 15 minutes for a charge on these submicros. Time to make that cheater-cord so I can use one of my Syma chargers with these funky E-Flite cells.

I tried flying outdoors, and even in very-close-to-dead-calm it could make no headway against the most minor of breezes. Local weather report shows "0 MPH" wind right now too.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:57 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Having lots of Fun with the Scout CX!

Guys!

Here is our new E-Flite Blade Scout CX flying around the Study.

E-Flite Scout CX flying in Gerry's Study (4 min 16 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:29 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
This Blade Scout CX looks (and flys) similar to my Nine Eagles Solo 210a which was also $50 with 2 batteries included. Very stable and relaxing to fly. Their ultra light construction is misleading as I have never broken anything other than the original flybar.

On high rate, I can fly it in a very slight breeze, with little problem. Just have to get the throttle up and the nose down and keep it there! Takes a bit of practice. The Scout should beable to do the same.

When I take this camping, I can get 25+ recharges on a good set of alkaline AA's. I also made a USB charger from a spare skid, and the skid is still a useable spare. It does not do well in a large open area outdoors but in the trees around the campsite is a blast. (I also take my Solo Pro camping - bound to the same tx).

I regularly fly the NE 210a and also my modified MJX-T38 (3ch similar to s107) in my family room. They are different but each a lot of fun for what they are.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:48 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
What is missing (for me anyway) is the ability of a 3ch to be in a "deadstill" hover and then move ONLY straight to the left or straight to the right ... and nowhere else

(thats what is called "crawl" ... again, to all I know anyway.)

Now if you try to land a SymaS107 on a 3x3inch helipad, you will see how almost impossible that is and how much you would need this crawl ability to "facilitate" the landing (ie. even manage to do it at all)
With a 4ch however, this will be much less of an impossibility once you practice this for a while - in particular because of the 4ch's ability to "crawl"
It's also called STRAFFING.........I don't miss it. Hardly had any use for it on my mcx, msr and 120sr.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:50 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Quote:
well, the way I see that, this is the first 3ch ever that uses a swash for the elevator channel. Thats why I said the tail rotor takes the "responsibilities" of the elevator servo ... and swash or not - it is still missing the aileron ...
Take a gander at the Double Horse 9100s 3.5 channel with a swashplate and a tail rotor like a real heli.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:32 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Take a gander at the Double Horse 9100s 3.5 channel with a swashplate and a tail rotor like a real heli.
So is that one able to "crawl" left or right then?? (because if it is not, then the .5 in 3.5 is nothing but a marketing gimmick ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:21 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Well, I just had to get one.....kind of feels like a lighter mcx....have a few questions. Is the servo on the board the same as the one on the mcx and msr? Any thing about the motors? I see that they are hard wire.....low rate is really low...I like flying in high rate. Here is my first flight! Wish they had some canopy color options!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2avwyXHk4b4
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:53 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Quote:
So is that one able to "crawl" left or right then?? (because if it is not, then the .5 in 3.5 is nothing but a marketing gimmick ...
I haven't seen any 3.5 straffe left and right....just 4channels. The mcx, msr, Drift King, 120SR, CX2 all 4 channels and they straffe left and right, oops, forgot about my Helix 360, they are also 4 channel.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:00 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by gimmick. Again, only 4 channel and above straffe left and right...all the 3.5channels I have seen go up/down/hover, turn left/right, go foward and backward.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:03 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Oh yeah, if you go to the Blade website or the HH website, it does say '3 channel' not '3.5 channel'.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:12 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Cool.....I found my old Celectra Variable Rate Charger from an old Tandem Rescue..Chargers these little 70mah very well!
Old Dec 07, 2011, 06:56 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
I don't think the $49 price tag is too high. Plenty of spare parts on hand at your LHS to repair. Also, you get a little credit card looking thing and if you follow the directions on it, HH will send you a parts replacement kit for free....not too bad..awaiting mine in the mail.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:27 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
My second video flight...pushrods are adjustable on the swash...got rid of left drift and increased forward flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enQiGzllOf4