HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:53 PM
GliderPilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
Discussion
Szd-45 ogar

Seen this today in my latest copy of Model Avation from the AMA and was impressed by the scale looks of another foam glider. Does anyone have info about this model from www.thewingsmaker.com
Impressive stats.
rickhensley is offline Find More Posts by rickhensley
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:07 AM
GliderPilot
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
Here is another photo of this wild looking bird.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:15 AM
GliderPilot
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
Specifications:
Wing Span 98.5 in/2500mm
Wing Area 667 sq in/43 sq dm
Flying wgt 46 0z/1300g
Fus length 45 in/1145mm

Requires:
4 Channel radio
3 cell 11/1V 15C 1800 mAh Li-Po

Comes as a Pre-assembled Combo Set or as a kit.

Combo $219.00 + ship.
Kit $129.00 + ship.

The more I look @ this bird, the more I want to order, oh no another!!!!!
Old Sep 03, 2011, 06:57 AM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,223 Posts
I flew one at my club...it flew really well and refused to come down
CG recommended is way out. Wing does flex abit..overall is a good thermalling
machine. Still it looks like the toy plane Electrafun which sold by the thousands.
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL
Old Sep 03, 2011, 04:57 PM
uk/england
Joined Jun 2008
341 Posts
http://scalesoaring.co.uk/yabb/yabb2...num=1309468360
Iain
The SKY MAN is offline Find More Posts by The SKY MAN
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:46 PM
United States, GA, Carrollton
Joined Feb 2011
28 Posts
Ogar.

Today I heaved chance to assemble the model and look over , I liked very much , did not fly because the heavy rain on horizon approaching . Wing and fuselage have very good surface , nice and smooth.
MirekJ is offline Find More Posts by MirekJ
Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:15 PM
GliderPilot
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirekJ View Post
Today I heaved chance to assemble the model and look over , I liked very much , did not fly because the heavy rain on horizon approaching . Wing and fuselage have very good surface , nice and smooth.
Nice looking bird there. Look forward to your flight report. I just love the lines of this gal.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:05 PM
United States, GA, Carrollton
Joined Feb 2011
28 Posts
Ogar

I will be installing a flaps or spoilers to make landing on short runway etc. I'm planing to fly in next week or in January ,yes , it is called ,,,work that is taking me away from home for next 4 months , next set of wings will be covered with balsa, or hard wood vernir or may be glassed or anythig that will work . Wing are made good and I like "working assembly " , good main spar with nice a long rod , wiring from wing to fuse is easey to feed - no tools needed . The tail !!!! ,, horizontal stab - glue !!! NO !! ,, I will be installing attachment that will allowed to remove horizontal for travel .
Painting -- the nice red wing tips will stay but rest wiil rezamble the full size Ogar . At this time I'm in process working on 4 meter ( 12 feet ) wingspane model with gas or elekt. power , will be big model ! .

Mirek J.
MirekJ is offline Find More Posts by MirekJ
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:02 PM
GliderPilot
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirekJ View Post
I will be installing a flaps or spoilers to make landing on short runway etc. I'm planing to fly in next week or in January ,yes , it is called ,,,work that is taking me away from home for next 4 months , next set of wings will be covered with balsa, or hard wood vernir or may be glassed or anythig that will work . Wing are made good and I like "working assembly " , good main spar with nice a long rod , wiring from wing to fuse is easey to feed - no tools needed . The tail !!!! ,, horizontal stab - glue !!! NO !! ,, I will be installing attachment that will allowed to remove horizontal for travel .
Painting -- the nice red wing tips will stay but rest wiil rezamble the full size Ogar . At this time I'm in process working on 4 meter ( 12 feet ) wingspane model with gas or elekt. power , will be big model ! .

Mirek J.
Hello MirekJ, if possible, will you post photos of the mods you are going to do to. The removable tail sounds interesting and this covering the of the wings w/wood veneer would be something new for me, would very much like to see how you do this as well.
Glad to see you posting on the Szd-45 Ogar
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
I just received the prebuilt version on Saturday and did a test flight the next day. The prebuilt is great with everything installed. Just had to glue on the stab and install speed control. The stock motor has plenty of power on a 2100 3 cell 30c lipo. I purchased this strickly as a camera plane and it is perfect for that application. But I must say I enjoyed the test flight so much I will probably just fly it alot. Almost every plane that I fly is a 3D or aerobatic plane and this is a great change of pace. The only thing that I was not crazy about was the way you have to hold the wings in place with the rubber band inside the fuse. This was frustrating at first, but with practice and finding the correct technique with the provided hook, its not too bad. I was really impressed with the completeness of the kit. Wing bag and even a y-harness for the ailerons are provided. The kit also comes with a piece of lead for ballast which was almost identical in weight to the camera that I am going to use. So that made if great to either fly with the camera or the weight and the plane flys exactly the same either way.
The plane flew perfect. It is so stable and just looks so graceful in the air. If you want either a slow graceful powered glider or a good camera platform this plane is both and I am happy so far.
BMoody is offline Find More Posts by BMoody
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:27 PM
GliderPilot
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
After reading and seeing the photos posted, I see one of these coming to my doorstep. I think it is just a cool plane period and being scale is the icing on the cake. Thanks for your report of your kit and what you thought of it.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:34 PM
GliderPilot
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
Well order was just placed for this bird, and as has been brought out, I like the ability to mount a camera under that canopy.

I have eyed this this all week and am glad I finially ordered.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
Just thought that I would mention that Graves RC carries this plane. They are in Florida,so shipping anywhere in the east is really fast.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
One more thought. MarlinL said that the reccommended CG was way out, but I did not find that to be the case. I balanced mine right where the manual reccomend and it flew great.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:04 PM
GliderPilot
Joined Aug 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoody View Post
One more thought. MarlinL said that the reccommended CG was way out, but I did not find that to be the case. I balanced mine right where the manual reccomend and it flew great.
Hello BMoody, thanks for the info on Grave's, I go to Orlando, daughter lives there, have never looked his shop up, but I will now.
Also the info on the CG is welcome too. I have found in my years of modeling what works for one sometimes does not work for the next guy.
That seems to hold true for CG as well. I know the mfg always has a suggested CG, but I also know there is a point of where I as a individual, likes to fly and the CG will determin this, and that might be there is more than one place to CG a plane!
But I do agree, get as close to the recommended from mfg as you can.
How about some photos of your new bird and did you go for the kit or the RTF w/all the goodies ready to go?