HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Discussion
my first plane (need some advice)

right today i bought my trainer plane (second hand from model shop) i have been trying to get it to start all day as i am taking it to the club tomorrow the engine is an O.S. 46 la i can get it going for around 1 minute then i remove the glow starter and it cuts off i have taken some pics of plane and engine can you tell me what model my trainer is aswell

rc mad is offline Find More Posts by rc mad
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:13 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
972 Posts
I don't know the trainer but you need to clean that engine up before you do anything. That looks like saw dust on it and if that's so you probably have it in your fuel system, NOT GOOD .
Normally if it quits when you pull the igniter off you are way out of adjustment on the carb or the glow plug is bad.
After you clean it up a bit try this (before replacing the plug ) . Turn the high speed needle out all the way then hook your fuel line to the carb inlet and spray some fuel through the carb. STAY CLEAR . Then put the needle valve back in and turn it all the way in " just touching the bottom " then turn it back out 1 1/2 turns and try starting.
After it starts you may have to adjust a bit, normally in just a little ( 1/4 turn ) . Good luck. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redh View Post
I don't know the trainer but you need to clean that engine up before you do anything. That looks like saw dust on it and if that's so you probably have it in your fuel system, NOT GOOD .
Normally if it quits when you pull the igniter off you are way out of adjustment on the carb or the glow plug is bad.
After you clean it up a bit try this (before replacing the plug ) . Turn the high speed needle out all the way then hook your fuel line to the carb inlet and spray some fuel through the carb. STAY CLEAR . Then put the needle valve back in and turn it all the way in " just touching the bottom " then turn it back out 1 1/2 turns and try starting.
After it starts you may have to adjust a bit, normally in just a little ( 1/4 turn ) . Good luck. ENJOY !!! RED
thank you red i will clean it up in the morning its not saw dust just grease and general grime any tips on cleaning it?
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:31 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
972 Posts
Seal the carb and muffler, stand it on it's nose spray it with some good dish soap or if you have it " Dawn Power desolver ". Let it set a couple minutes then spray the heck out of it with your hose. If you have a compressor use it to help dry it out, otherwise just make sure it can drain and dry. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Sep 03, 2011, 03:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redh View Post
Seal the carb and muffler, stand it on it's nose spray it with some good dish soap or if you have it " Dawn Power desolver ". Let it set a couple minutes then spray the heck out of it with your hose. If you have a compressor use it to help dry it out, otherwise just make sure it can drain and dry. ENJOY !!! RED
thank you redh i will do that
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:55 AM
Bowling Green,Ky
Joined Sep 2004
311 Posts
Replace the glow plug. Dennis
Dadstoysbg is offline Find More Posts by Dadstoysbg
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:33 AM
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
thank you all it all works now it just had some blockages in the pin valve had my first flight aswell was great will get back to you all with my progress