SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:48 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
This is the reason why am I still on the RC plane industry, because of your effort!

Ming Lou
A proud Papa! And well you should be. Please keep producing new and unusual warbirds. Just don't set an unreachable delivery date. Also in the white is fine by me as I prefer to do my own paintwork.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,940 Posts
Nice video.

Woody
W. X. Davis is offline Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:56 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Quote:
Great video. She looks super and has real presence. Good landing bearing in mind the circumstances.
A question for those UK buyers. Did you get stung with import duty & Post Office collection charges? This additional cost can make all the difference when importing from outside the EU
Andy
Andy I had no charges from customs when mine came

Great flying video, nicely weathered/painted too.
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:09 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,344 Posts
Another great day at the field. I am really getting into the 4s battery with this motor and prop. I need the nose weight, as it tends to balloon with the 3s in there. I have made another program in my radio for the difference in trim settings. Once I buy a few more 4s 4000 batteries I will quit bouncing back and forth with the 3s to 4s issue.

I did find a funny problem, well it was funny after the fact, in my radio Hitec A9. I mixed the flaps to a three way switch to match the logic of my gliders...

Fast flight (normal for the Hurricane)
Slow flight (half flap)
landing (full flap)

When I get to full flap, the radio locks out the ailerons! I will have to work on that one

For today, I landed w/o flaps and I got it home after 9 take off/landings without new damage.

Be well,
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:53 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,282 Posts
Thanks Mark & Tlmark
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:49 AM
Czech Republic
Joined Nov 2002
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik_ View Post
no, they work randomly, do not make full cycle.
And you have to ¨knock on them¨

all connections are ok
but it was discussed early here that many of these units have they own mind so to say.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...stem_1pc_.html

work perfectly
corsair is offline Find More Posts by corsair
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,594 Posts
Gear

Hey Hurri drivers,

I know I have been MIA lately, got side-tracked with a couple of Q&D projects that turned out to be anything but. Then of course, there was the infamous "Black Tuesday" (Mardi Gras), 5 up, 5 down. I have 4 of 5 back in action, but it has been work.

In any event, Chris (Mark23Mod0) over in the HK Mosquito forum had suggested getting some of these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...in_Trike_.html to make replacement struts for that plane. I picked up a couple of sets and as I was looking at them the other day, went, "Hmmmmm". If I understand correctly, the original WR struts were a bit soft and even the new ones have no spring coils. I started doing some measuring and it turns out that these struts are EXACTLY the right length for the Hurri. Didn't have to trim them and the hole for the mounting wire is the same diameter as the kit struts.

I had to do a little fiddling with the stub axle. I JBWelded a length of 3mm music wire to some thick wall alum tube I had on hand and it fits fine. Obviously no field testing yet, but at first glance it looks great. Not completely sure how to make the gear doors fit yet, but I think it will be fairly easy. Anyway, for the price they certainly can't be beat, and I am hoping they will make a difference, especially on the club grass strip

Couple more things demanding immediate attention, then I will get back to the Hurri. Although Woody's cockpit is so over the top I am embarrassed to admit how much time I have spent fiddling with mine, b/c it can't hold a candle to his.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:46 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,398 Posts
Jeff, what's holding the axle in there? Also did the strut slip over the original size strut piece loosely or snug?

Those look awesome, I think I'll get two sets. One more question, for now. Is the shock tension adjustable?

Nice find Jeff!
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:27 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,344 Posts
Jeff - can you remind me where you got those beautiful tires/wheels from?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:40 AM
The faster the better!
Southern England
Joined Jan 2009
1,772 Posts
Was hoping to maiden my Hurrie this weekend, when I ran her up on the watt meter I was a little shocked to find she only kicked out 250 watts. that was with a 3 blade 10 x 7 MAS prop. so I stuck the big old slow fly prop that came with the kit and got 270 watts.

I have the Scorpion motor/ESC that comes with the kit and a 3s batt it doesn't feel like it has as much thrust as I was expecting do you guys think this sounds ok?
I don't want to get in the air and stack it due to lack of grunt.
TLMARK is offline Find More Posts by TLMARK
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:49 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMARK View Post
Was hoping to maiden my Hurrie this weekend, when I ran her up on the watt meter I was a little shocked to find she only kicked out 250 watts. that was with a 3 blade 10 x 7 MAS prop. so I stuck the big old slow fly prop that came with the kit and got 270 watts.

I have the Scorpion motor/ESC that comes with the kit and a 3s batt it doesn't feel like it has as much thrust as I was expecting do you guys think this sounds ok?
I don't want to get in the air and stack it due to lack of grunt.
Does not sound very "merlin-esque" but I tend to overpower mine and adjust throttle to fly scale like.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:54 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Jeff - can you remind me where you got those beautiful tires/wheels from?
Pretty sure those are Dubro diamond treads. Not sure of the diameter though. I'm sure Jeff will correct if I'm wrong. Tower has them but they are expensive IMO

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZF5&P=0

Alan
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,344 Posts
Thanks for that...

The prop I'm using is the 11*7 MAS... On 3s it works, on 4s I grin.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:20 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
Jeff, what's holding the axle in there? Also did the strut slip over the original size strut piece loosely or snug?

Those look awesome, I think I'll get two sets. One more question, for now. Is the shock tension adjustable?

Nice find Jeff!
Ryan, the wheels that came with the struts screw into an aluminum center piece, which is locked in with a grub screw in the bottom of the strut. I had some thick wall alum tube from my LHS that was the right diameter, so I measured a piece that is flush on the outside of the strut, but sticks out enough on the inside to act as a stand-off for the wheel, keep it from rubbing on the strut. The wire axle was JB welded into that, and a flat filed on the alum tube for the grub screw to lock into.

The opening for the piano wire is 3 mm, exactly the same as the standard DSR's. No slop. Strut travel is limited by a screw in the inner strut that slides in a groove in the outer. The only way to adjust tension is to disassemble the unit and put in thicker springs.

Jim, the wheels are these: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZF3&P=7 I honestly don't remember if mine are 2.5" or 2.75"". They are slightly larger diameter than the kit wheels, b/c I fly off grass.

Mark, you're at the low end of the power range, but you should be fine for the maiden. Looks like you may have to go 4S at some point.

Regards,
Jeff
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:22 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
Pretty sure those are Dubro diamond treads. Not sure of the diameter though. I'm sure Jeff will correct if I'm wrong. Tower has them but they are expensive IMO

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZF5&P=0

Alan
Yah, Alan, but don't they look cool? Actually, part of the reason for buying them is that they are very light, and soft enough to take the sting out of some of my more abrupt "arrivals,"

Regards,
Jeff