Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:18 PM
Prague CZ
Joined May 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Swamp Fox View Post
thanks Jeff,,,

did some light kit shopping,,,*yikes* you were right $$$

Hehehehe ! Stay dry up there,,,looks like this angry Russian woman will miss us !

Great scheme VIK,
I think the story with one of his Hurris was the ground crews used parts from another black painted Hurricane to repair his..

I'll use whatvever servos I can cannabalize from other models I have,,, I use epoxy resin,Foam-tac and CA for the most part on EPO .

take care all ~
Would white glue work as well?
BTW I have book at home about Karel Kuterwasher
Was a interesting person for sure
Vik_ is offline Find More Posts by Vik_
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:12 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,304 Posts
Vik, plenty of room for a 4S. For the Dauntless, Ming's recommendation was CA & kicker, which works well on tightly mating surfaces. Epoxy works well and some folks like Gorilla Glue, although I find that it doesn't adhere as well as epoxy. Not sure about white glue, I use that on styrofoam models, but it takes forever to dry.

Ryram, yah the 35-48-09. Liked the specs and it looks like the FMS prop adapter will fit.

Drift, not so much that we are over motoring as trying to run scale sized 3-blade props. Ming's motor uses an 11/8/2 and if there is ground clearance for my 13/9/3, it takes a lot more motor to spin it. Don't be confused by the motor's max rating, it is the prop that will determine the final power output. Based on Ming's set up I am looking for 500-600W. As I said early in the thread, a big motor puts weight exactly where you need it for c/g and even if you aren't using its full output, it's live weight, not lead.

Jeff

PS - oh and while Scorpion motors are great, they cost more than the plane, something I was trying to avoid.
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:51 PM
flying since 2000
Winterthur ZH, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2009
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
PS - oh and while Scorpion motors are great, they cost more than the plane, something I was trying to avoid.
that might be true, but a scorpion motor lasts forever, whereas the foam hurry lasts maybe 50 flight hours.

Vik, if you want to mount the motor as shown in the instructions, the Axi 2826 won't fit without modifying the motor mount: it is too long with the propadapter. Maybe I'll buy a Scorpion motor and shelve my Axi 2826/8 again...
sfluck is offline Find More Posts by sfluck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying the Spider X on the...
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:57 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Headed to the local shop ,,, labor day sale ! anyone need anything while I'm up there ?

the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:45 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Jul 2007
26 Posts
Hiya Guys,

Glue.... So you Jeff use epoxy for your EPO models? Some say Hot Glue is best... Now I am really confused about what to use.

I have little faith in the Med CA and kicker that I used on my SBD as it broke easily! Maybe I needed to prep the glue areas? I dunno, but last thing I want is this one to come apart.

So guys may I ask what glue is best? and how to apply correctly to get the best results

Thank in advance,
Paul
pchats is offline Find More Posts by pchats
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:53 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I needed to prep the glue areas?
that is an absolute must ... what you use depends on what you're gluing .

I will Use Beacon Foam-tac(awesome stuff !) epoxy,thick ca, perhaps hot glue for servos and PU glue...

best of luck ~
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Sep 05, 2011, 05:36 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchats View Post
Hiya Guys,

Glue.... So you Jeff use epoxy for your EPO models? Some say Hot Glue is best... Now I am really confused about what to use.

I have little faith in the Med CA and kicker that I used on my SBD as it broke easily! Maybe I needed to prep the glue areas? I dunno, but last thing I want is this one to come apart.

So guys may I ask what glue is best? and how to apply correctly to get the best results

Thank in advance,
Paul
Hot Glue is one of the best on foams because it's pliable, does not get brittle like epoxy or CA. But where time of gluing is to be considered, it may be a question. If weight is a big thing, then, CA is great. On the hurricane gear mount (plywood) hot glue is the BEST option. CA or epoxy will crack from repeated impacts. If you have used gorilla glue before, that is one of the best option, other than other glue that others may suggest, such as 3M, etc.
Gorilla glue will give you plenty of time to apply on all the surfaces where it's needed and not dry on you. Spray water just when you are ready to join them (such as the fuselage halves) to "activate" the gorilla glue. You can spray water on either surface. Only one surface needs glue application. Hold them tight while they bond together for about 15 minutes.
On my Windrider 737, I used gorilla glue to join the fuse halves, both main wings, vertical and horizontal stabs.
Do not use excessive amount of gorilla glue, as they foam-up and leak out of the joints, though could be easily cleaned up later.
Minimal Gorilla glue required so weight added is very little, unlike epoxy.

-Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Sep 05, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:05 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,304 Posts
I probably should be a little more clear. Since I crash-tested my SBD to destruction, I have some feel for how the glues held. CA + kicker (not just CA) joints never failed, the foam always tore. That was true for 95% of my epoxy joints and epoxy is much better for filling gaps. GG broke free of the foam in maybe 1/3 of the joints. I use little or no water with GG, it foams okay without it and the large bubbles you get with too much water are pretty flimsy. I find the white GG (Sumo?) works better in that it has a little more flex and doesn't expand nearly as much. I haven't had a lot of luck with hot glue, it's pretty messy. I wrap my servos with masking tape and glue them in with a blob of silicone cement. Takes an hour or two to set, but flexible and relatively easy to clean up if you have to replace a servo.

Regarding prep - besides making sure the surfaces are clean, when I use epoxy I use at least an equal volume of microballoons. They make the mix "stiffer" and they cut the weight dramatically. For an epoxy joint, I use a toothpick or bamboo skewer to punch many small holes in the mating surfaces. This increases the bonding area and as the epoxy spreads into the holes, it tends to "lock" unlike with smooth surfaces. Fahim (Wowplanes) even made a tool, a small block of wood with brads set in it so that you can make a couple dozen holes at a time.

Which glue is best depends on several factors and a lot of it is just personal preference.

Jeff
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:54 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,900 Posts
I like UHU POR to glue foam together,works really well.

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:08 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jan 2011
277 Posts
Hey Matt what is UHU POR? I like hot glue my self, my dad likes 10-15sec quick setting glue, I never have good luck with the quick setting stuff.

Matt
MPS86 is offline Find More Posts by MPS86
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:16 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,039 Posts
Fingers crossed mine will arrive tomorrow. Cleared NY Customs 6 days ago!
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:23 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,304 Posts
Forgot UhuPor. Great stuff, Hobby Lobby carry it most of the time. It was back-ordered for a while and I kept ordering, so now I have 4 tubes in stock. Clear, flexible, dries fairly quickly, holds well.

Jeff
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:30 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post

Which glue is best depends on several factors and a lot of it is just personal preference.

Jeff
You got that RIGHT! It really depends on so many different factors. Until someone had actually used all these different glues, is when he finds out his own preference and what works better on which. That's why I stock all of it.

-Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:38 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,592 Posts
Please use hot glue to assemble the retract.
Epoxy is OK for the fuselage.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor