HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:04 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,613 Posts
Thanks Spyro, I'll give it a go.

Ryram, you're probably good for power, but the motor is pretty light. Specs at 105 g, cf the 200 g or so with the 32 sized motors. Since that's your forward most weight, you might need some lead.

Henry, I picked up a bunch of vari-colored LED's on ebay a while back. For $10, I think I got like 100 in 5 colors plus 5V and 12V resistors. Bit of a nuisance having to wire in the resistors, but I hate paying the prices they charge for most LED kits. I also paid a fair bit for some "top hat" white LED's which are extremely bright and wide-angled, great for landing lights.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:15 PM
Joined Jul 2011
196 Posts
Got mine a few days ago...I am going with the E-Flite power 32, and a Vario 3 blade 11 inch from Hobby Lobby. Should be sufficient, methinks. Dubro's 3 blade spinner is a very close match to the original..well, short of having to turn your own, I suppose.
dudewheresmyhuri is offline Find More Posts by dudewheresmyhuri
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:34 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,406 Posts
Thanks Jeff this looks better.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail. 40 size. If the motor is rated at 40 amps, why are they talking about 60 and 70 amp escs? The motor is 48 mm the shaft is bolt on it's 18 mm total but where the prop back sits on is only 4 or 5 mm from the motor, plus the x mount and thrust down and right washers along with spinner back plate I'm figuring this is a good fit. that is going on the earlier estimate of 54 mm from firewall to front of fuse.
This motor likes the big props and has potential to spin a big 3 blader. I've used their motors and escs for everything but my stock pz stuff and never had trouble. Shipping is quick and cheap 2 bucks from Florida. I like that they post specs, you can tell the guy flies. Anyway trying to pass on a top notch deal.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
Last edited by ryramZ; Sep 04, 2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:38 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
Thanks Jeff this looks better.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail. 40 size. If the motor is rated at 40 amps, why are they talking about 60 and 70 amp escs? The motor is 48 mm the shaft is bolt on it's 18 mm total but where the prop back sits on is only 4 or 5 mm from the motor, plus the x mount and thrust down and right washers along with spinner back plate I'm figuring this is a good fit. that is going on the earlier estimate of 54 mm from firewall to front of fuse.
This motor likes the big props and has potential to spin a big 3 blader. I've used their motors and escs for everything but my stock pz stuff and never had trouble. Shipping is quick and cheap 2 bucks from Florida. I like that they post specs, you can tell the guy flies. Anyway trying to pass on a top notch deal.
I have one very similar to that. I use it on my 3D plane. I use 60Amp ESC. My motor is capable of handling 50Amps with no over heating issues at all, I guess that is why they suggest 60-70 Amps, in case you want to push it to the limit. I use a 13X6.5. I'm very happy with 13-14" props. But not with any of the 12" props at all. Plenty of thrust on larger props, but plane seems to stall on 12's". So I'm not sure if it's great on the hurri based on below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettsmums View Post
The stock firewall is 54mm from the front of the fuselage. If you use a Dubro three bladed spinner it is dished about 2mm so you get a little extra space. There is not enough ground clearance for a 13 inch propeller. Even a 12 inch might be pushing it unless you fly from a hard surface.
-Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:59 AM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,958 Posts
STILL WAITING

Woody
W. X. Davis is online now Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Sep 05, 2011, 03:55 AM
Prague CZ
Joined May 2010
191 Posts
Hi
Just ordered one...
Anyway I have few questions
- what servos are you going to use?
- Is there some primer needed for painting?
Im sure about the collors thoug
Vik_ is offline Find More Posts by Vik_
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:36 AM
flying since 2000
Winterthur ZH, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2009
517 Posts
I use the servos ming sells with the hurricane. About the primer, Ill probably use multiprimer from multiplex. Maybe a bit expensive but its a good primer
sfluck is offline Find More Posts by sfluck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying the Spider X on the...
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:58 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
...Mike, glad you're high and dry. How badly did your little creek flood? We are sitting with Lee and the river is in my backyard right now, but of course I am on stilts.

Regards,
Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt View Post
You Mean KATIA?
Jeff-- I wish it was a little creek. It's a lake about a mile long and about 200 yards wide. The first and second days after a big storm the lake continues to rise as the runoff accumulates. About 10 years ago the township removed the small slit dam and built a large spillway and larger slit dam. Problem is they raised the road surface by around 3 feet. The rising water used to only go as high as the road surface and then spill over into the lower side. Our yard would flood but water never touched the foundation and we never had more than 8 inches in the basement. I kept telling the engineer this would happen but he knew better. They really screwed us. How do you fight city hall?

Tom-- I meant Ming's Hurricane. I hope we don't see Katia. No offense intended but Russian women are crazy dangerous when they're angry and hurricanes are angry things.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:27 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,509 Posts
Hobby-Lobby stocks eRC motors now, and they have the "40" size version that might be a good fit: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/40_size_b...33019_prd1.htm
-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Sep 05, 2011, 09:55 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,719 Posts
Few Hurricane shots.
Too windy this afternoon.

Ming Lou
Ming is online now Find More Posts by Ming
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:19 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,613 Posts
Jeez Mike, hope you didn't get 3 ft of water in the cellar. Not all my houses have been on stilts and floods are no fun at all. I find the problem with many engineers is chronic myopia - they focus on the problem and miss the big picture.

Ming, another nice build. If that's an 11" prop, we may indeed have clearance issues with a 13". Hmmm.

Ryram, where you you last night when I was cruising the web looking for a decent motor than didn't cost more than the plane? It seems I have several large motors and a bunch of 400 to 10 sized and nothing in between. I have been looking for something that takes a 4-screw prop adapter so I can use the FMS one. Dang.

I tend to use ESC's that are rated 1.5 - 2x the rating of the motor. Most decent motors will tolerate overamping a lot better than ESC's, and the extra headroom means they run cooler, not a bad thing when encased in an insulated foam fuse. An ESC fire can ruin your whole day, ask me how I know.

I am using standard HK servos, although I have ordered a couple of digital (slow moving) servos for the flaps.

Regards,
Jeff

PS. Okay Ryram, just broke down and ordered one. If I have to cut the prop down, the extra kV will be needed. J
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Last edited by jhspring; Sep 05, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:29 PM
Prague CZ
Joined May 2010
191 Posts
Do you thing 4S will fit in?
The Axi 2826-10 which is doing nothing seems to be good fit.

Is there any recommended glue? I build mostly from Balsa so this is new for me.
Vik_ is offline Find More Posts by Vik_
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:36 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
I think this motor should be great for those going 3S and 2 blades:

And this one for those going 3S or 4S and 3 blades

I used a SK3548 (not available anymore) 900 kv in my similary sized PZ bf109
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:45 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
thanks Jeff,,,

did some light kit shopping,,,*yikes* you were right $$$

Quote:
No offense intended but Russian women are crazy dangerous when they're angry
Hehehehe ! Stay dry up there,,,looks like this angry Russian woman will miss us !

Great scheme VIK,
I think the story with one of his Hurris was the ground crews used parts from another black painted Hurricane to repair his..

I'll use whatvever servos I can cannabalize from other models I have,,, I use epoxy resin,Foam-tac and CA for the most part on EPO .

take care all ~
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:47 PM
Never stop
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
Ming recommended a scorpion 3014 870Kv motor. Just curious as to why most are looking at seriously over motoring the plane?
Left_Drift is offline Find More Posts by Left_Drift