SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:17 PM
Professional Toothpick maker
USA, NY, New Hampton
Joined Jan 2005
693 Posts
How many watts should I be looking for to power this plane? I'm planning on using the tacon 32-770 which should be the same as the eflight and mp32. I was planning on using the masterairscrew 3 blade.

11x7x3 gives me about 319w at 30a at 11.1v 6.5 - 11 min flight
12x8x3 gives me about 360w at 35.4a at 11.1v 5 - 9min flight on 3s3300 25c ( according to eCalc )
nalby is offline Find More Posts by nalby
Last edited by nalby; Sep 04, 2011 at 01:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:43 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,914 Posts
Just dropped in here to subscribe. Still waiting for mine to show up, but the info here has been very interesting.

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Sep 04, 2011, 03:03 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,241 Posts
Paint.
Just picked these from Lowe's. $4 paint per can, non reflective camo paint cans. The forest green (first can) was a bit darker than I wanted. Just sprayed them on a cardboard, color should be a bit lighter on a white foam.
-Spyro

Edited 2 hours later:
Oh no, just checked the cardboard paint job. It has that "powdery" finish. Rubbed it, & some powder goes on my skin. But did not really ruin the paint. Wiped it with paper towel, to wipe off the powdery layer, paint stayed OK...
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Sep 04, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:05 PM
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,552 Posts
Some Hurricane details from the New Zealand Based Hurri.
Lexta is offline Find More Posts by Lexta
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Royal Australian Navy Sea Fury
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:03 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,535 Posts
Spyro, I have been looking at those paints for my Lancaster. Have you tried sealing them with Clearcoat to stop the powdering? I think all flat paints tend to flake a bit when rubbed. Wrt to lights, the landing lights in the wing LE are white as is the light on the rudder. The wingtip lights are red/port, green/starboard and should be steady. Flashing lights didn't come into play until the Grimes beacon in the 50's. There should also be a white light on top of the fuse, just in front of the antenna mast, and a series of 3 downward-facing ID lights (red/yellow/green) on the fuse.

Do you find windex better than rubbing alcohol for getting the mould release agent off? I emailed HobbyPartz about the Monster series and they plan to carry them as soon as they can get some, that's why they are still on the web site. I grabbed 2 10's and a 15 then last time they came in, wish I had had the sense to grab a 32 at the same time. I noticed that even ERC (the manufacturer) is out-of-stock at the moment.

Nalby, I think you might be a little light on power. We don't have the figures for flying weight, but I looked up Ming's recommended power combo and he is calling for something around 450W.

Hey Matt, glad you're here. Can't wait to see what you do with yours.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:03 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,241 Posts
Jeff, thanks on your response regarding the light. Everything is now clear to me.

regarding the powder issue, you're totally right, most flat paint does that. I was afraid that it could get worse, but I was able to wipe them off without actually affecting the finish. And I thought about the clear coat as well, I believe I saw one from Lowe's (clear coat but not glossy) Satin finish. I want to avoid glossy paint on this project. The cool thing with this specific CAMO paint, is you can rub the paint where the 2 colors meet with paper towel, and they blend, like I used a paint brush which I don't have.

The Scorpion Can is 46mm length. My monster is 50mm length. Haven't actually checked if I need some "tweeking". I don't want to have too much clearance between the spinner and the fuselage nose.

-Spyro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Sep 04, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:17 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Good thread Jeff. Mine cleared customs in NY on 8/31 bit it still hasn't arrived. Just as well, still cleaning up from the hurricane for the new Hurricane.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:22 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,535 Posts
Spyro, I think 50 mm should be okay. That's what all the motors I am looking at run.

Mike, glad you're high and dry. How badly did your little creek flood? We are sitting with Lee and the river is in my backyard right now, but of course I am on stilts.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:33 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Firewall to spinner clearance.

The stock firewall is 54mm from the front of the fuselage. If you use a Dubro three bladed spinner it is dished about 2mm so you get a little extra space. There is not enough ground clearance for a 13 inch propeller. Even a 12 inch might be pushing it unless you fly from a hard surface.
bettsmums is online now Find More Posts by bettsmums
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:38 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Good thread Jeff. Mine cleared customs in NY on 8/31 bit it still hasn't arrived. Just as well, still cleaning up from the hurricane for the new Hurricane.
and now there's another hurricane after the first hurricane,,,hope to see mings hurricane before this next hurricane ,,,

Where did you get your lights,Jeff?
I had the old Curtek set,I regret selling now. I'm going port/starboard/landingx2/1 on the rudder as you have done.

For power I have the Scorpion,,,,a little $$$ but comes with a handsome carrying case

take care all ~
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:39 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,385 Posts
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

I'm thinking about this 480 motor, it's 475 watts and looks like it will swing the 11 inch props ok. I'll need stand offs but I have it laying around. Curious what you all think.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail
This is my next choice. 25 size
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ryramZ; Sep 04, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:58 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,241 Posts
"Do you find windex better than rubbing alcohol for getting the mould release agent off?"

Jeff, Windex works better on my experience. But I don't want to be biased with my own opinion. This was also an advise by a well experienced builder that does all kinds of detail work from a Scratch Build to "re-detailing" ARF planes or kits. His RC lab is an amazing science room.
-Spyro.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:31 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,450 Posts
Quote:
=CarreraGTSCS;19228613 Just as well, still cleaning up from the hurricane for the new Hurricane.
You Mean KATIA?
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:41 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,385 Posts
Bueller?
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:58 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
One day I will be able to say "me too!"... for now reading along with hope in my heart.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM