SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:04 AM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,661 Posts
Hey Bettsmums,
Do you think that the motor your using will swing a 11 1/2" - 12" prop ?

Woody
W. X. Davis is online now Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:56 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,301 Posts
You guys using a servo reverser for the flaps? I will probably just flip mine.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:28 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
I will just orient them the same way .. like so : L L (if possible) does it say that in the manual ?

Parts trickling in almost daily ... time to get going !

quoting Jeff:
Quote:
My opinion of Windrider is unchanged, I will buy any warbird you offer sight unseen
I hear ya ... Ming,,,we need more warbirds !
These are defintely some nice models (SBD under bed ) ...

take care all ,
-H
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:31 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,301 Posts
Doesn't say. Look at the pockets they are like the ailerons.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:37 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
ahhh so they are ... can't believe you made me get off the couch ! Ok,,diff model manual says orient flap servo same way... for some reason that was stuck in my mind . So yep servo reverse, use 2 channels on rx, ( flip it if it'll work) or perhaps those auto slow flap servos Jeff has on the way move in different directions .

Headsup rc is fast ! Have everything now except a few small things... like a servo reverse Y harness now

take care all ,
H
Last edited by the Swamp Fox; Sep 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:40 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,065 Posts
I picked mine up from the post office yesterday morning 9 days after clearing US Customs in NY (which is about 1 hour away!). This plane has the smoothest EPO I've ever seen. It looks awesome. I have to put in a few late nights to have her ready for the NEAT Fair this coming week! Looks like she goes together pretty quickly. I have a light kit ready for her.

What size lipo does she require to balance well? I think I'm going to use a Monster Power 15 on her.

What a beautiful model.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:59 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,334 Posts
Glad you finally got yours, Mike. Ming says that with a 3S 3300 he still needed 40g of nose weight. Maybe try a 4000? The MP 15 is a great motor, wish I had one left to use.

Ry, Henry, we went through that with the SBD. Ming designed the pockets to face the same way b/c he uses a glider radio that allows you to droop the ailerons, so it's not a problem. I have a couple of reversing Y's, but they are kind of bulky and fuse space is at a real premium in this model, so I think I will just re-cut one of the servo pockets.

Ry, you were right, I have a 4-5 mm spinner gap, plus the spinner is a couple of mm too small. I think I will just glue a ring of soft balsa to the nose and sand it down, kill 2 birds with one stone.

All I need is a little unsupervised (read honey-dos) time.
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:52 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,169 Posts
Nothing glued yet, except the guns.
Just paint job.
My camera is not showing the right color. The first picture is pretty close, Khaki brown.
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Sep 10, 2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:31 PM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
That looks fantastic spyro !

Glad she found you safe ,Mike !

Hurricane balance,,, Every hurri model I've had ,,same deal. Short nose moment makes it a challenge to get correct cg ,, I dislike adding "dead weight " I have a 3300 in there now but haven't mocked it up... will try to get everything as far forward as possible...

take care
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Swamp Fox View Post
That looks fantastic spyro !

Glad she found you safe ,Mike !

Hurricane balance,,, Every hurri model I've had ,,same deal. Short nose moment makes it a challenge to get correct cg ,, I dislike adding "dead weight " I have a 3300 in there now but haven't mocked it up... will try to get everything as far forward as possible...

take care
I guess the " short nose" is a plus for my Hurri.
My power plant is 4 cell set-up.

Thanks
-Spyro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Sep 10, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:08 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
176 Posts
Large Prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. X. Davis View Post
Hey Bettsmums,
Do you think that the motor your using will swing a 11 1/2" - 12" prop ?

Woody
I have the same motor in a different plane and it is turning a two blade APC electric 12-8 with a 4S 3300 LiPo. It is pulling nearly 60 amps at full throttle. The plane also has a lot of cooling air for the motor, speed control and battery. I need to fly the hurricane and see how warm the motor, speed control and battery get before I know how far I can push the setup. I guess I also need to remove the motor and add the single washer behind the let upper mounting ear to get the thrust offset.
bettsmums is online now Find More Posts by bettsmums
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:30 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Looks great Spyro, thanks for posting the pics, so of you guys are moving fast on your Hurri's!

Ming is definitely an EPO magician, and I too would buy any further warbird kits he produces, but most definitely a Typhoon (p.l.e.a.s.e.....!!!! )

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:47 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
Looks great Spyro, thanks for posting the pics, so of you guys are moving fast on your Hurri's!

Ming is definitely an EPO magician, and I too would buy any further warbird kits he produces, but most definitely a Typhoon (p.l.e.a.s.e.....!!!! )

Matt
Thanks Matt.
I'm just bored, I was not gonna build this beauty yet, but decided to do some paint job .
Yes, indeed, Ming's foam planes are ALL nice and flies Great, not like the typical mass produced boxed RTF's planes (or Ready To Fix).

Spyro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:59 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Matt.
I'm just bored, I was not gonna build this beauty yet, but decided to do some paint job .
Yes, indeed, Ming's foam planes are ALL nice and flies Great, not like the typical mass produced boxed RTF's planes (or Ready To Fix).

Spyro
LOL, never a truer word said in jest!

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:00 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,334 Posts
Spyro, yours looks very nice indeed. Gonna look great in the air.

Been puttering a bit with mine. Long back story, but the Cliff Notes version is that I finally got my upstairs computer back on line and spent some time with my Hurricane Explored cd. Wow, wish I could upload some of the pics. There are 18 pages of cockpit photos, 3 different Hurris. I found one perfect pic of the downward facing ID lights, stop light configuration, green/yellow/red. Not all Hurris had them, one has a centre red and two blanked off panels, others have none at all. There are in a very awkward place to install, solid foam everywhere, but I think I have a plan.

Lots of good pics of the flaps. Full down must be 85 degrees, like the Spit and the inboard flaps run right up to the radiator. In most pics on the ground the radiator shutter is open, might have to make one. Anyway, flaps. In the kit, no inner flaps, max deflection 40 degrees. Decided I would have to redo them, so am playing with that. I think it must be a genetic defect: if there is an easy way to do things and a hard way, I am drawn to the hard way like a moth to a candle. Hope I decide it's worth it.

Since I have my new wheels, made bushings, and put the wheels on the struts. They operate fine, have enough clearance in the wells, so good to go. Doesn't show, but they have the diamond tread pattern that I see on the photos of current Hurris. At 2.5" they should be okay for grass. I see what Ming means about the struts. I wanted to tweak them to get them centred better and the strut bent like a pretzel. Apparently this batch didn't get tempered. I won't dare to fly without replacing mine.

Slow, but puttering. Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring