HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 08:04 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,906 Posts
Glad you are back on track. Glass doors are the way to go!
Gree is online now Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 07:01 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
You should show a close up photo of your hinges you did...
Well, here is a picture with some explanations. I hope it helps. This is just how I made them, not how they should have been done.

ilkka
I. Klemetti is offline Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
Old May 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
looks like a nice tight fit, I like the way you hinged them.
When I build the gear doors and access doors on my p-47 I originaly made them out of glass but they soon began to warp so I remade them all out of thin gage aluminum which worked very well. The thing I like most with the aluminum is that if the fit is not perfect you can bend it very easily to get it just right.
essar is offline Find More Posts by essar
Last edited by essar; May 14, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:10 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by essar View Post
looks like a nice tight fit, I like the way you hinged them.
When I build the gear doors and access doors on my p-47 I originaly made them out of glass but they soon began to warp so I remade them all out of thin gage aluminum which worked very well. The thing I like most with the aluminum is that if the fit is not perfect you can bend it very easily to get it just right.

Essar, where do you purchase your aluminium?

Colin
wollins is online now Find More Posts by wollins
Old May 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
I actually get mine at work, I am lucky enough to work in aviation. Some guys use aluminum flashing available at any hardware store hopw this helps.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined May 2011
257 Posts
Essar...curious about the alum gear doors for my P-47 project. How did you neatly cut the alum in to the right shape?

GREAT JU88 BTW....really superb work!
LuftM40 is online now Find More Posts by LuftM40
Old May 30, 2012, 02:23 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
306 Posts
In my wildest dreams I saw this thing flying this summer. Not so in reality. Summer time slows down the building process as there are so much nice things to do outdoors.

On rainy days, however, some time will be spent in the worksop. I glassed the gondola and cut windows open. The gondola is carved hollow to accommodate batteries for landing gear and receiver. To be able to get the batteries out if needed, I made the hatch part removable.

I glued litho frames on the windows and blended the frames to the gondola with putty.

ilkka
Old May 30, 2012, 02:46 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,043 Posts
Your Ju 88D's "Bola" Is looking great so far...!

Dear Ilkka:

The PIPE Here again - this week for me is a HUGE one, with GRADUATION from my local two-year college coming up on Friday (1.6.2012)...I've completed the remaining eight courses (one in a classroom, and the rest online) to earn my associate's degree in Business Adminsitration, and once I GET A NEW JOB and start working "full-time" once again (40 hours/week), getting back to RC flying will hopefully follow soon thereafter.

That Bola for your Ju 88D is coming along VERY nicely, Ilkka...it seemed that almost every WW II German bomber design used them, some more "integrally" than others (with the ones in planes like the later versions of the Do 217 being the "most integrated") and even with the intended "heavy bomber" of the Luftwaffe, the grauerliche Greif Heinkel He 177A itself, having one that was REALLY "integral" to its nose design.

I will READILY admit that I'm NOT a "summer person" in ANY way whatsoever!!! After I got sick from HEATSTROKE on one day in July 1980 here in New England - at an RC Scale meet, of all things, too! - that had air temperatures approaching 35C, and a dew point figure of some 23 to 24C, I ended up being sick in bed from the resulting dizziness and nausea, which only allowed me to drink water to stay hydrated during the pair of bedridden days that saw me unable to EAT anything, as my digestive tract simply "shut down" for 48 hours from the heat-induced sickness.

So, I'm one of those who would be better having an "inverted flying season"...one that starts in late August, when the cooler "Canadian summer polar air" starts flowing in from the northwest over New England, and the autumn time in New England is simply PERFECT for RC enjoyment. SInce I ALSO love to fly off SKIS in the wintertime, that's the heart of my flying season in New England...when it's not raining in the Springtime (as New England DOES have a springtime "rasputitsa" mud season, like Russia does!) I'd be up with my aircraft, until the dreadfully tropical "muggy" humid air returns the following summer, when I retreat INDOORS (with the air conditioning cranked "down" to "Arctic temperatures" LOL) for my health and well-being in the worst of the heat and humidity, generally during much of the June through August timeframe.

Friday this week will be here before long...looking forward to my graduation at long last!!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is online now Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; May 30, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:12 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
306 Posts
PIPE, glad to hear you are reaching your target in your studies.

When discussing about the dangers of RC airplane hobby I have never heard anybody mention heatstrokes before now. Good thing you seem to be able to get along with your discomfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE View Post
That Bola for your Ju 88D is coming along...
BTW my model is not of D-type. It is an A-4. These sub types resemble each other closely as the D-1 is a reconnaissance version based on A-4 bomber.

ilkka
Last edited by I. Klemetti; May 31, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:25 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
Good Job Pipe, congrats!

Again Ikka, super work, I cant wait to see this airplane finished!

Essar.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 12:45 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
306 Posts
Thank you essar. So now we are at least two who are waiting for this thing to be finished.

I found a place for the gear rear door servo. The model's gear retracting geometry differs from original as it is modified for RC technology. This leaves a couple of centimetres free room in the back of the wheel cavity. A good place to put door servo. The asymmetry of the doors helped to design the actuating mechanism.

In the picture the gear servo is undermost. Its fastening bracket is made of L-profile aluminum and the flap servo is attached to the bracket.

ilkka
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:23 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. Klemetti View Post
Thank you essar. So now we are at least two who are waiting for this thing to be finished.
Hey ilkka, I'm keen to see you finish as well! Do you have a video of the doors operating?
Gree is online now Find More Posts by Gree
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:25 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,043 Posts
Hope those WHEEL DOOR servos are nice and LIGHT-weight...!

Dear Ilkka:

Dave "the PIPE" here again - the graduation ceremony at my local two-year college last Friday evening (1.6.2012) was quite a grand affair, with well over 500 graduates at the affair and even a bagpiper playing for the students' entrance and exit "at each end" of the ceremony...now that I've got the degree, the job search will REALLY get going...it's how I'll be able to GET BACK TO WORK again, AND get back to being able to afford the enjoyment of RC flying again in time!

I'm guessing that the "wheel door servos" for your Ju 88A are fairly lightweight ones, possibly even as light as the 32 gram weight Hitec digital servo that my future "Mk.II" small (1.07 meter wingspan) Jungmeister I'm still CAD-ding up from time to time here on my home PC, would be using for ALL its flight controls and throttle.

I'm also hopng that you'll be using a reasonably STRONG battery pack(s) for your Ju 88A's onboard radio gear's power needs, as what seems to be about the MOST important parameter in determining what cell to use for such battery packs would be the INTERNAL RESISTANCE of each cell in such a pack. Since I've made ALL my own nickel-chemistry (first nickel-cadmium, and more recently nickel-metal-hydride) battery packs from bare cells - for well over 30 years! - I've learned what's best for cell choice for higher current drain needs. If you can get battery packs for your aircraft's radio gear, that use "larger diameter" cells in them - larger than the approximately 14,5mm diameter of a typical "AA" sized cell, which usually have a 20-30 milliohm internal resistance per cell, and much closer to, say, a "sub-C" sized cell of a bit over a 20mm diameter - those usually have a MUCH lower, 7-10 milliohm internal resistance per cell instead...you'd have much BETTER luck in having the properly-sized battery pack(s) in the Ju 88 to power all the servos you'll be operating for a normal flight with it.

LIke "Gree" from down-under Oz-land, I'm hoping you'll have the time soon to do a "wheel door" video or two for your Ju 88...but it's time to get back to search for that first "office computing" position here in New England. and even looking online for some more freelance CAD work to earn money with...!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is online now Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; Jun 03, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:01 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
306 Posts
I am going to have two battery packs in the model. One for landing gear and gear doors and one for receiver and controls. So if the gear battery voltage drops due to gear jamming it wont have any influence to the receiver or other functions. The gear door servos are 27 g Hitec HS-225BB with 39 Ncm (54 oz.in.) torque.

Enough for blaa blaa... Now: video on demand

Junkers Ju 88 Gear Door Test (0 min 35 sec)

ilkka
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:37 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Looks real good! Ilkka.. Great synchronization ... those are good servos and should have enough power to do the job at hand.
The gondola looks very nice also will there be guns mounted in there?

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25