HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:47 AM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Ah, I understand. (Sorry, my english is very poor)
Thank you for answer.

Klaus.
kjsw is offline Find More Posts by kjsw
Last edited by kjsw; Feb 24, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:44 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
I took from storage the building boards I used originally in assembling the wings. After enlarging the nacelle recesses they could be used in sheeting the wing top sides.

I glued the aileron top bals while the aileron was fixed between flap and wing tip to ensure the aileron will be level at both ends in neutral position.

The flap and aileron hinge lines are below the wing lower surface. So the horns had to be on top. You can see the aileron horn end but it is not too visible. The flap horn is visible only when the flap is lowered.

The flaps and ailerons move now on servo power. Nice to get something working

ilkka
I. Klemetti is offline Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Feb 28, 2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:15 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,371 Posts
Nice job of sheeting the wings, ikka !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:03 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
Thanks Tom.

The nacelle shape continues on the flap. When flaps are lowered the flap portion of the nacelle slides in the wing portion. This requires a thin as metal sheet rear edge of the wing nacelle. What is better material to replicate thin metal sheet than thin metal sheet? Litho.

So I cut off some of the nacelle rear end and replaced the cut off portion with a strip of litho plate. I made the flap portion of the nacelle from foam.

ilkka
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:31 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
I suppose I managed to solve the gear front door mechanism. The bigges problem is that when the rotating wheel passes the outer door the door has to be in full open position.

I reduced the tire diameter by 4 mm and rounded the edges to balloon type like it should be. The rubber foam tires were then coated again with black Sikaflex sealing compound. In the outdoor pictures (post #170) I noticed I have to lengthen the gear legs a bit. That was done by just adjusting the gear. These actions helped in designing the door mechanisms.

The mechanism is simply a pair of pushrods. I wonder how come I had to tinker so many days with a matter this simple. When the tire passes the door there is a generous 3 mm gap between the door and the tire. Also the leg clears the inner door with 3 mm marginal. When the gear advances the outer door opens wide open but returns to normal open position when the gear is fully lowered.

The starboard wing doors mechanisms are is still to do.

ilkka
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:55 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. Klemetti View Post
I suppose I managed to solve the gear front door mechanism. The bigges problem is that when the rotating wheel passes the outer door the door has to be in full open position.

I reduced the tire diameter by 4 mm and rounded the edges to balloon type like it should be. The rubber foam tires were then coated again with black Sikaflex sealing compound. In the outdoor pictures (post #170) I noticed I have to lengthen the gear legs a bit. That was done by just adjusting the gear. These actions helped in designing the door mechanisms.

The mechanism is simply a pair of pushrods. I wonder how come I had to tinker so many days with a matter this simple. When the tire passes the door there is a generous 3 mm gap between the door and the tire. Also the leg clears the inner door with 3 mm marginal. When the gear advances the outer door opens wide open but returns to normal open position when the gear is fully lowered.

The starboard wing doors mechanisms are is still to do.

ilkka
Fantastic!...
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:00 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
When time permits, could you do another video of the strut doors working, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE View Post
With those WHEEL doors working so well now, I was wondering...have you been giving any thoughts on how you'll get the STRUT doors working about as well as the wheel doors are already working?
Dear Ilkka:

The PIPE here again - it's been some time since I wrote you, but I'm still unemployed...but, perhaps with what I'm taking for a seminar course with a local, non-profit job search assistance organization over here in eastern Massachusetts, I could be closer to getting a job that I might have been thinking, as that group supposedly has a very good local track record, and I'm going to be putting in some serious MS Word time with my resumes (one each for business office work, CAD/drafting and electronic manufacturing) to get them revised over the next few weeks, for a fair bit more "impact" when I apply for a job.

Great to hear that along with all that VERY detailed cockpit work (still looking nice as always) that you've finally had the time to be able to get the STRUT doors working as well...I remember how nicely you've had the maingear's wheel doors working already on your masterpiece...

Junkers Ju 88 Gear Door Test (0 min 35 sec)

...so, when your time permits, I'm hoping that you'll be able to let us see the strut doors working along with the wheel doors in a nice "symphony of movement" with a video of the whole deal working together.

And, of course, you're "half-way there" with the operating strut doors...I'd bet that the tough part was figuring the exact way you'd be getting the strut doors working, and now that the "port" or left side main gear's quartet of doors are all set up, the "starboard" or right side set could simply be a mirror image of what you've already figured out.

Keep up the great work...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:31 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
PIPE, I wish you all the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE View Post
...so, when your time permits, I'm hoping that you'll be able to let us see the strut doors working along with the wheel doors in a nice "symphony of movement" with a video of the whole deal working together.
Here we go

Junkers Ju 88 Gear Door Test 2 (0 min 33 sec)
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:41 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Absolutely stunning work ilkka! Your attention to detail and the engineering is superb! I am very jealous of your skills. Thank you so much for sharing your progress, it is very inspirational. Once again amazing work...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:06 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,371 Posts
Wow !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:42 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,349 Posts
Ditto! WOW!
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:43 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
Now THAT is literally "miniature aircraft" building...

Dear Ilkka:

The PIPE Here again - this Sunday evening over here, one of your countrymen will be defending the goal for my favorite sports team against their hated rivals from MONTREAL...it's bound to be a great match !

When someone is able to not just "build", but CRAFT up a great-working set of retracts - and a symphony of magnificent MOVEMENT for each gear strut's set of DOORS (two quartets in all) results from all that great CRAFTsmanship - that's definitely getting into "miniature aircraft" creation, which usually takes a fair bit more care and skill that an average RC sports/trainer aircraft usually needs.

My preference for World War I-era and Golden Age RC Scale subject aircraft won't usually need quite that degree of craftsmanship, but where I DO like to use the scale aircraft structural layout in every case that's possible to do them (made much easier with decent scale drawings, computer technology and CAD software!!!), and do things like crafting up functional shock-absorbing LG struts, scale exhaust systems that actually take a four-stroke model engine's exhaust gases out through them, fully functioning cable control hookups to the control surfaces and other such "bits of realism" on various parts of the model, that only makes me more determined to get back to WORK again, so I can get back to building and flying RC aircraft once more.

Even though I'm not the CL-flying type, the similar "symphony" of interactive MOVEMENT between a control line precision aerobatics model and its pilot on the CL handle, at the center of a CL flight circle is like a "ballet" all on its own that I love to watch, and if the model is an electric-power or four-stroke engined CL aerobatic model, that's even better to watch for the pure enjoyment of it.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK, Ilkka...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; Mar 05, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:14 AM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Hello,

this is really beautiful to look at!
This all fits together. Very nice details.
It's always something special when you show photos / movies.

Regards
Klaus.
kjsw is offline Find More Posts by kjsw
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:08 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. Klemetti View Post
PIPE, I wish you all the best.

Here we go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiXoj4Eg51s

THAT my friend, is simply ... poetry in motion.
wollins is online now Find More Posts by wollins
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:57 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
More poetry in motion.

As I was worried how the gear and doors work at speed I attached one wing on my car and tested the gear at 80 km/h (50 MPH). A redneck wind tunnel. The beeps are low battery warning.

I think I just invented a safe way to fly an RC model.

Junkers Ju 88 Gear Wind Test (1 min 51 sec)
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Mar 09, 2013 at 08:02 AM.