SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:18 AM
London Ont.
Joined Sep 2006
334 Posts
Ilkka really nice work. I have enjoyed your progress for months now.It is one of my favourites for twin engine aircraft. I cheated and build FSK one.
FWCXC is online now Find More Posts by FWCXC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:21 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
FWCXC how do you like your FSK Ju 88? What is the small device on top of the fuselage?

If I never get this schratchbuild project finished I'll buy a FSK Junkers for myself. I hope its flying charactreristics equals its looks.

ilkka
I. Klemetti is online now Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:28 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,143 Posts
FWCXC. are the FSK Ju88 and Bf-110 stable fliers ? thinking of buying them.

Nice keychain cam on the back of your Ju88 ! Any vids ?

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:58 AM
London Ont.
Joined Sep 2006
334 Posts
Hi Guy's
They are beautiful planes to fly they are very light( don't crash them it is not reparable because of very light structure) very stable. Also be ready for challenging build. But once completed they look and fly awesome .On the second flight I lost the JU88 ,battery slipped in the cradle backwards ( friend of mine tossed it to hard)I was able to fly it for a while then I had to turn on final she went in from about two feet . O well, always build some kind of stop at the back for the battery.
I have a keychain camera on the fuselage #16. I have some but do not have editing programme.
Greg
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:21 AM
London Ont.
Joined Sep 2006
334 Posts
I am going to down load some videos I have as well as that crash video (unedited)

Greg
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:24 PM
London Ont.
Joined Sep 2006
334 Posts
JU88 last flight (5 min 45 sec)
there is the last flight of the JU88

Greg
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:29 PM
London Ont.
Joined Sep 2006
334 Posts
There is a video of the Me110
FSK Me110 second flight (8 min 37 sec)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:44 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,143 Posts
Pity of that Ju88 crashing. Thats my only problem with FSK. Depron....

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:56 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
A broken Ju 88 is a sad sight. Too bad you could enjoy only two flights with it. For a foamie it looks pretty large. Thanks for posting

ilkka
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:41 AM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
The FSK models looks very nice.
Very sad, the accident.
Have you tried to repair it? This doesn't look easy to do this.
Klaus.
kjsw is offline Find More Posts by kjsw
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
London Ont.
Joined Sep 2006
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsw View Post
The FSK models looks very nice.
Very sad, the accident.
Have you tried to repair it? This doesn't look easy to do this.
Klaus.
You have seen it fell from about two feet. It is made from very thin foam without much support. I had very nice FW190 when after about 60 flights elevator servo decided to part company. Very nice planes look good and if flown without incidents perform well. But I think Alfa models are stronger with some TLC could be made to look as good. Me109 in my avatar is an Alfa.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:31 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,089 Posts
Great thread (just seeing for first time).... Love the landing gear detail.... I plan to do similar after current projects done (Fw-189, He-111 and B17G all in 6th scale)..... Also hope to do for my FSK Ju-88 too..... BTW, I haven't found the FSK to be particularly fragile, but they do take some work to get all the details on. My Fw-190 lasted about 10 years before getting a bit too beat up.. it will be a top mistel component on a FSK Ju-88 at some point!

FWCXC, did you fix your Ju up? Looked reparable....
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Last edited by spinnetti; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:32 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Last year, I made the first set of gear doors from the pieces I cut off the nacelles. They were warped. I fixed them. Still warped. I made a new set from glass and foam. Now I noticed they are warped too.

I cut diagonal cuts on the doors outer skin, from corner to corner. This very much removes their torsional (twist) stiffness. Then I fixed the doors in shut position with tape and wire and laminated the cuts with epoxy and strips of glass. They become better, but still aren't perfect. I'm not gonna make a third set. My excuse: this aircraft has belly landed and it was repaired very quickly and put back to service. They didn't put much effort on the doors at the shop. (Excuses are far easier than to build better.)

Before starting to sheet the top side of the wings I put a small mechanisms in the wings to faciliate dropping of external bombs. The bombs are attached with rubber ring or similar loops. The loop is locked in the wing by a piano wire. When a servo draws the wire the loop is released and the bomb drops.

The wing inner panels structure is stiff and didn't require any jigs for sheeting. For the outer panels I have to make some kind of a fixture for sheeting to set the required wash out.

ilkka
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. Klemetti View Post
I made a new set from glass and foam. Now I noticed they are warped too.
Is it only one layer of glas? It's surprising, that they aren't stiff.

Very good job. The desire to do it like you (building a Ju88) ist still increasing.

Klaus.
kjsw is offline Find More Posts by kjsw
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:38 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Klaus, the door structure is 2 layers of glass, 3 mm foam, 2 layers of glass. They are very stiff, see post #117.

As they are so rigid they could not be bent or twisted afterwards. To be able to twist them for better fit I had to make diagonal slits on the outer skins.

ilkka