HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:23 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
The "wheel doors" work GREAT...have you been thinking about the STRUT doors, too?

Dear Ilkka:

The PIPE Here again - so far this weekend I've applied online for FOUR job positions (three in business offices, and one CAD position) in southeastern Massachusetts locations, so I'm "off and running" on the job chase following graduation !

With those WHEEL doors working so well now, I was wondering...have you been giving any thoughts on how you'll get the STRUT doors working about as well as the wheel doors are already working? I was thinking that you could somehow rig something up from the metal pivoting member on your main gear that swings the gear strut rearwards, to each strut door to have them close up just before the wheel doors do, and open again just before the strut swings forward very far on its downwards travel.

It's these sorts of things like that that DO make RC Scale aeromodeling an enjoyable challenge...a similar challenge I might encounter to what you've got going on with your Ju 88A's main landing gear, might be if I someday chose to do the French WW I Bréguet-Quatorze (Bréguet 14) B2 single engined biplane light BOMBER, hopefully in quarter scale, with a Laser 360V, 59 cm3 displacement vee-twin four-stroke mill in its nose - with its "aerodynamic wing flaps" on the lower wing's entire trailing edge, as those flaps had NO control whatsoever from the pilot's cockpit, and solely depended on the aircraft's flying speed to keep them "up" until it was time to land, when they were forced under bungee cord tension to lower as the plane slowed for landing.

I might be getting some Aerofly Pro Deluxe "stick and knob" time with the RC flightsim on my computer after dinner over here (which I DO have to prepare for my parents and myself)...I'd be interested on what you MIGHT be thinking about concerning those strut doors on your Ju 88A, though, even though those might take a bit more thinking about...just take your time, and you'll likely come up with some elegant way of doing it !

Keep up the great work... !!

Thanks again and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Well, after summer's outdoor activities, it is time to settle at the building board again.

The cockpit glazing of 88 is a distinctive feature and an eyecatcher. So I thought I should put something under the glass.

I fabricated the dive bombing sight from scrap balsa and thin plywood. The rear view mirror on the starboard side of the framing may be a Finnish specalty as it disturbs the free use of the windscreen machine gun. I read from a book the forward firing MGs were not used in Finland.

The bomb sight was normally twisted right and up when not in use. When bombing it was turned down in front of the pilot.

ilkka
I. Klemetti is offline Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,470 Posts
Very nice work Ilkka ...Welcome back glad to see your going to finish this work of art.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:31 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,732 Posts
Nice work !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:44 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
Welcome back, Ilkka!

Dear Ilkka:

The PIPE here again - currently taking income tax preparation classes twice a week, to help my fellow Americans with their income tax preparation for some part-time work right after 2013 gets going....I hope !

Your Ju 88A is coming along nicely...more great work on the main cockpit canopy, and ALL those details......!!!

Just hoping, that in the back of your mind, you're also thinking just a little about how those strut doors below each engine nacelle can be made to close for the main landing gear when it retracts, just as the wheel doors are working so well already...!

Keep up the great work, now that autumn is progressing...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
Training

I know that it's not foremost in your mind as you record your build but it's great training for me and I've arrived late in the day but greatly enjoyed everything to date, hopefully absorbing ideas. Wonderful creative work on an unusual and complicated subject thank you for posting. Regards, Cliffc
Cliffc is offline Find More Posts by Cliffc
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:17 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Thank you guys for encouragement.

The Junkers greenhouse is so large and in a visible place so it just cannot be left empty. I made some balsa blocks to depict some instruments in the cockpit. To figure out if everything fits I made four foam airmen.

The next step is to remove the seats and accessories and detail them a bit.

ilkka
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:05 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
After some sanding the crew memebers were painted with acrylics and decorated with paper and masking tape.

The best thing in these guys is their weight: all together 25 grams, that is less than 1 oz. Not too bad.

ilkka
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:27 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,470 Posts
VERY NICE!! ILKKA

Bruce
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:51 AM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
335 Posts
Oh sure! Just show off why don't ya! Haha. This looks lovely. I stumble across these build threads looking for quick answers and get dragged into the fantastical detail of the build. Almost forgetting what I came here for. Anyhow I've subscribed to this build now and must be away to find the answers I was seeking in the first place.

Keep up the great work.
Shane Sunday is offline Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Thanks Bruce and Shane

As the Junkers greenhouse is so revealing I thought I should put some instruments in the cockpit. Just to get the atmosphere right. The boxes and control column are mostly made from balsa and foam.

I found pictures of Ju 88 A-4 insturments at www.deutscheluftwaffe.de. I printed them on paper and glued a transparent plastic sheet on them. The gauge rims are metal wire wound around drill bits of various diameters. Later, I'll cut the instruments from the sheet and glue them on the instrument panel and some other places.

ilkka
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:19 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,732 Posts
That cockpit will be a work of art, once completed !!!
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
I hope so, Tom.

After some painting the cockpit components began to look better. I made just those devices which are visible near the windows. To ensure the pilot's natural grip on the control column I glued the column onto his leg and formed his hand to suit the pose.

Enough for cockpits for now. In the near future an ordinary model building will continue. That is sanding, fitting, filling, sanding...

ilkka
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,470 Posts
GREAT JOB!! ilkka looking forward to your finishing skills.

Bruce
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:22 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
GREAT JOB!! ilkka looking forward to your finishing skills.
Well, may I present some finishing skills now

Last winter, I made the leading edges of the rudder and elevators from blue foam. Now, I glassed the tail feathers using water based polyurethane acrylate lacquer. I thought the lacquer would isolate the foam from sanding primer to be sprayed on. However, the primer leaked to the foam and melted it. At first I noticed small wrinkles which I thought I can handle with some putty. The putty happened to be of wrong sort and it melted the foam further. Now I have to cut the foam off and replace with balsa.

The lost foam method may be desirable in some situations but in this instance I really hate it.

ilkka
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Jan 02, 2013 at 05:44 AM.