HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Would you attend a combat event located in Urbana, Ohio?
Yes, I would like to attend this year. 8 66.67%
No thanks, maybe some other time. 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:05 PM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Discussion
OHIO COMBAT EVENT- Saturday October 8, 2011 - Urbana, Ohio

DATE SET
Saturday October 8, 2011

The Mad River Flying Association (MRFA) located in Urbana, Ohio is hosting a combat event and needs your input.

Eleven of the members of the the Mad River Flying Association recently purchased Assassin combat wings from CrashTestHobby.com and we have been bitten by the combat bug. Yes, it is fun to fly with 5 or 6 other wings in the air, but we would like more. We are hosting an event on October 8th to bring together other combat pilots from the surrounding area for a day or two of flying fun.

The MRFA field is located in Urbana, Ohio which is situated about an hour away from both Dayton and Columbus. If you wish to stay for night flying, camping at the site is permitted but there are no hookups or facilities other than a port-a-john available. As another option, we can probably get you reduced rates at the local hotel if you wish to spend the night and camping isn't your thing.

The main event will occur on Saturday and could spill over to Sunday if people choose to return or stay the night. Potential activities include: streamers, full contact, limbo, full contact, night flying, and of course, full contact.

Aircraft shall be limited to a style having a mid or rear mount electric motor to help reduce the risk of injury to pilots and spectators from any errant landings. Currently, most of the local pilots attending will be flying epp foam wings ranging from about 30"-60" in wing span and 16 oz. - 32 oz. in weight. Blazing fast, fiberglassed wings with spikes and razors won't be much fun for anyone. Please note: This is our first combat event. Rules and restrictions are subject to review and change.

Food and drinks will be available for purchase through out the day in the form of burgers, brats, dogs, and soda. There may even be a separate dinner as we have done for events in the past. Staying the night? Maybe we could arrange breakfast too.

There will be a nominal landing fee in the order of $5-$10 that will be good for flying, possibly a goody bag or t-shirt, and a ticket for a pilot's raffle for RC related prizes. AMA membership will be required for flying since we are on city owned property.

We have a total of nine 12 volt DC charging stations. Power to these stations is provided by 3 heavy duty firetruck batteries charged by a solar panel. Generators are welcome.

I am including a poll to help gauge interest in this possible event. Please vote only if you are serious about attending. If there are enough people wishing to attend this event, we will make it happen. It is all up to you.

Hope to see you at what becomes the First Annual Heart of Ohio Combat Event 2011.

Best Regards

Mark Mowrey
Mad River Flying Association
http://www.flyurbana.com

Google Maps link for a brief tour of our site:
Mad River Flying Association
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey
Last edited by mdmowrey; Sep 08, 2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Plane restrictions added highlighted in RED
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:28 PM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
I'm in with at least one in tow! We'll probably camp overnight in our RV.
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:35 PM
United States, OH, Springfield
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
will be there

looking forward to the combat event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chris_mc is offline Find More Posts by chris_mc
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:49 AM
urbana, ohio
Joined Jan 2008
25 Posts
Combat

I will be there
rkaczmarek is offline Find More Posts by rkaczmarek
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:36 AM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
Did you cross-post this in the Assassin thread?
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:58 PM
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
DATE SET!

Saturday October 8, 2011
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:54 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmowrey View Post
DATE SET!

Saturday October 8, 2011
Are there any rules about aircraft type, battery or motor limitations or ??

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:04 AM
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Are there any rules about aircraft type, battery or motor limitations or ??
Excellent question. Original post modified.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:46 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmowrey View Post
Excellent question. Original post modified.
Sounds like my FireFly will be outclassed, but I'll probably come eat a burger or two anyway.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 08, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Sounds like my FireFly will be outclassed...
Azarr
Outclassed in full contact combat perhaps but not necessarily in breaking streamers or flying under the limbo poles. If you are thinking of attending, please select that option in the poll to help us plan. Hope to see you there.

Mark
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
combat

i am in!
zxtener is offline Find More Posts by zxtener
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Event Flyer
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:50 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Hey guys, you definitely need to get an annual combat event going. We started one five or six years ago here in Utah, and while the first event only had maybe a dozen guys, it has grown each year. We had 70+ pilots this time, with 53 pilots launching at the same time during the morning Mass Launch Event.

We do ours biannually, in April & September, and just had our Fall event this past weekend. It's a riot! I highly recommend it! Aside from general combat, we also do a limbo event, capture the flag, bomb drop, and bowling contests, which add to the variety. All of those events end up being "combat". Imagine 60 guys in the air at once, all trying to fly through limbo poles for points at the same time... in opposite directions! Same for bowling and capture the flag. It's mayhem!

If you can't get enough guys interested in doing it, feel free to come join us out here in Utah! It's not that far to drive, really!

Lee, the owner of CrashTestHobby.com, is in our club and sponsors the event, giving away one of each type of plane he makes at the event.

It's worth the effort to get a combat event going, trust me. It may start small, but it'll grow fast because it's just so much fun.

If you want to see some video highlights, check out THIS VIDEO
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Sep 26, 2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:31 AM
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Well, from the input I have received, we will have a handful of people in addition to our club members attending.

I put together something for limbo. Of course, the IRCHA president couldn't resist flying his helicopter through...

Heli Limbo (0 min 9 sec)
Old Oct 06, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Official start time is 11:00 but club members will be there around 9:00 to set up. I am thinking we are going to have some open flying until 1:00. That will give people time to arrive and get lunch if they wish. We will start the "games" about 1:00 and maybe have them start every half hour or so. There will be open flying in between. Awards for each event will be in the form of raffle tickets. We will hold drawings around 5:00, dinner time. We have a few Castle ESCs (30 amp I think) that will be included in the raffle and there will be at least an Assassin core kit as well.

We are looking foward to this weekend and hope it becomes an annual event.

Mark