HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:05 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2006
94 Posts
Discussion
flight tips for a beginner

Hi all,

I've just built my first quad and have begun learning how to fly it. I fly R/C planes and I have a Blade mCX I play with, but the quad is new.

I've noticed the most dificult part about learning how to fly the quad is maintaining orientation. My flights typically consist of slow controlled take off, followed by drifting that I am afraid will become out of control, so I end up bringing it down a little hard in my rush to get it on the ground.

Are there any flying tips for beginners? Would it help to mix some rudder with the ailerons?

Thanks,

Scot...
MaxGen is offline Find More Posts by MaxGen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:14 PM
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
Colored props are good, styrofoam balls, any thing to mark the front that is easy to see helps. Simulaters are helpful and fun also.

Give yourself plenty of space, keep practicing, it will get a lot more easy to make it do what you want it to.

OLDTOM is offline Find More Posts by OLDTOM
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:54 PM
Joined Apr 2011
48 Posts
I use colored LED-lanterns. I also believe fewer arms makes it easier to keep the orientation, so I prefer a Y-6 over a flat 6.
Multicopter is offline Find More Posts by Multicopter
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:30 PM
Joined Feb 2011
647 Posts
Hi Scot -

I use an airplane model for my Spektrum DX8, but use expo to give more control of aileron, elevators and rudder. Color helps me orient. I have both an X and + mode quad and it certainly takes time and practice to fly these. Some hints I've gotten is to fly simple patterns. I've found open field flying helpful as well.

Color orientation can be as simple as electrical tape on props tips: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/788548/Quadcopter/IMG_1549.JPG or spray paint props and gear: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/788548/Quadcopter/IMG_1560.JPG

Basically, whatever works...

Regarding the drift, to an extent that is normal as the quad would not be able to hold an exact position unless it was using GPS. I'm using the QuadRino board and MultiWii software and with a bit of trim and tuning (and help from a barometer and mangetometer), position hold is very good. What flight controller are you using?

Regards,
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGen View Post
Hi all,

I've just built my first quad and have begun learning how to fly it. I fly R/C planes and I have a Blade mCX I play with, but the quad is new.

I've noticed the most dificult part about learning how to fly the quad is maintaining orientation. My flights typically consist of slow controlled take off, followed by drifting that I am afraid will become out of control, so I end up bringing it down a little hard in my rush to get it on the ground.

Are there any flying tips for beginners? Would it help to mix some rudder with the ailerons?

Thanks,

Scot...
jpsabo is offline Find More Posts by jpsabo
Old Sep 02, 2011, 03:13 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGen View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,

Scot...
As every one said. Make sure you can see the orientation of your machine. It will not matter when you cannot tell the orientation with your eyes.

The rest is just a matter of practicing. You have to do the same thing with your fixed wing and your Blade MCx. Practice with your Blade MCx hovering nose-in until you are totally comfortable. If you don't have that anymore use a flight sim.

The only way to succeed in a skill oriented task like flying RC is to practice, practice and practice.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave