HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:59 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2001
501 Posts
Discussion
need help with Black KK board

I have a previously set up quad,using the KK black controller.....I know NOTHING about the setup(physical or programming) of these controllers.

I have everything mounted,(it didnt come with a frame,I made one)except the controller. Which way should it face,and which motor is the front one?

Sorry for my ignorance,I figure some expert(s) will help me out.
Marked is offline Find More Posts by Marked
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:05 PM
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
First of all which software are you using and how do you want to set it up?

I suggest that You read:..http://www.kkmulticopter.com/index.p...layout=default

Most of your answers are right there..

Good luck and keep smilin...
OLDTOM is offline Find More Posts by OLDTOM
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Adding to Tom's question. Can you tell us which KK black board is it? There are at least two KK black board on the market. There was a KK blackboard earlier that uses the Murata gyros (oblong silver looking thing) and the newer KK blackboard from Minsoo Kim in Korea with MEMS gyros.

They use different firmware.

Sorry forgot to answer your question. KK boards are generally mounted with the corner of the board facing forward. Most of them have two arrows in the corner. That will be the front. Failing that try to locate the three gyros. If you have the Murata gyros you will see three of them. Two of them will form a 90 degree and the other one will be on a different board attached vertically. The two on the main board should be arrange like a V. The point of the V will be forward. The MEMS gyro board will be harder to figure out from the gyro but Minsoo Kim silkscreened the two arrows in the front.

Your front left motor is motor number one and is rotating clockwise with a pusher prop.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2001
501 Posts
I found the one small arrow by the roll gyro. This board didnt come with the yaw gyro,has a place where it went. The seller said this wasnt a problem.....
The point of the V on this board is opposite of the arrow.

Gyros are.1x.260,rectangle in shape

Seller said he loaded the latest firmware...looking for that info now..
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
If you have no experiance with helis or multi rotors the yaw gyro will make a lot of difference...HEH HEH, sorry about that. Take a few pics of your set up, it will help, the arrow should be at the corner of the board that points to the front.

Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:11 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marked View Post
I found the one small arrow by the roll gyro. This board didnt come with the yaw gyro,has a place where it went. The seller said this wasnt a problem.....
The point of the V on this board is opposite of the arrow.

Gyros are.1x.260,rectangle in shape

Seller said he loaded the latest firmware...looking for that info now..
Does the board look tlike this ? If so then it is a Niall/Jussi Blackboard.
If it looks like this, then it is Minsoo Kim Blackboard.

Amazing that some people have no common sense when it comes to naming things

Yes, it is a problem without a Yaw gyro - you will need to get a replacement ... somehow ....
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2001
501 Posts
I have flown coax helis...a fair amount,even in moderate winds. Could I add a peizo gyro for the yaw?
I will send pics in a few hours.....don't laugh too hard

Thank all of you for such a FAST response!!...and no attitudes or insults!! I have to hang around this forum more often

A friend of mine looked at it and thought he could make one by just plugging in the ESCs into the reciever......I gotta vid that test flight
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
With a tri you can use an external gyro for the yaw because it only move the yaw servo, with a quad the fc board mixes the escs signals to change all four motor speeds, I dont think that an extenal gyro can be set up to get that without a lot of reprogramming and/or rewiring, NAAAAW, I wouldn't try it.

Note: post the video, please..
Last edited by OLDTOM; Sep 01, 2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: note:
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:43 PM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
Does the board look tlike this ? If so then it is a Niall/Jussi Blackboard.
If it looks like this, then it is Minsoo Kim Blackboard.

Amazing that some people have no common sense when it comes to naming things

Yes, it is a problem without a Yaw gyro - you will need to get a replacement ... somehow ....
Does the Niall/Jussi Blackboard come with minsoo firmware if marked version 2?
mk1spitfire is offline Find More Posts by mk1spitfire
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDTOM View Post
If you have no experiance with helis or multi rotors the yaw gyro will make a lot of difference...HEH HEH, sorry about that. Take a few pics of your set up, it will help, the arrow should be at the corner of the board that points to the front.

Then you have the older Jussi blackboard. Yaw gyro will make a lot of difference in flying.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
Most times you order your board and request which firmware you want. Then you can reprogram it with a cheap programer from many different firmwares avalible.... Nothing on the outside can tell you what is programed in it unless the last thing was labeled by the person who did it. If you have a programer and read the code, then compare it with the many others you might be able to find out, but would be easyer to just put what you want on it...

Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:28 PM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
I have a black kk board 5.5, now revealed as Niall/Jussi board.! Thanks, it's labelled 'v2.0, xcopter' I was hoping this infomation would reveal its firmware by the way it labels and prefixes its style of identification. ?

Is there specific various firmware for this board or can Minsoo Kim Blackboard firmware be used on it as well?.

Universal?
mk1spitfire is offline Find More Posts by mk1spitfire
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
No, yes, yes, look at the link I sent you before and it will show you the setup, history, and possible updates that you could have.

http://www.kkmulticopter.com/index.p...layout=default
Last edited by OLDTOM; Sep 01, 2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: link:
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:13 PM
Joined Jan 2001
501 Posts
it is a Niall/Jussi Blackboard.

I plugged everything in(actually,it was left together in a big wad) turned on the tx (2.4g) plugged in the battery,and it just beeps. Cycling the throttle(while holding down the quad) does nothing.....ideas?

Thanks for the link to the pics,THAT helped a lot
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:26 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marked View Post
it is a Niall/Jussi Blackboard.

I plugged everything in(actually,it was left together in a big wad) turned on the tx (2.4g) plugged in the battery,and it just beeps. Cycling the throttle(while holding down the quad) does nothing.....ideas?

Thanks for the link to the pics,THAT helped a lot
You have to first calibrate the speed controllers. Then you have to arm the board so the speed controllers will stop beeping.

1) Turn the yaw pot to minimum (counter clockwise).
2) Turn on Tx.
3) Move throttle stick to high.
4) Power up board and Rx.
5) You will hear a confirmation tone which is two beeps.
6) Lower the throttle stick.
7) You will hear confirmation tone ending in one long beep.
8) Turn off everything and turn yaw pot back to 50%.

Now turn on Tx. Then power up board and hold low throttle stick and right yaw to arm. The LED should light up on the board and the motors/speed controllers will stop beeping.

Go fly.