HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:56 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
148 Posts
Discussion
Alien Aircraft "Hornet", Great Flyer !

After crunching the nose of my MM EVA model, and rain every day this past month, I finished an Alien Aircraft 'Hornet" model that I'd kind of stalled with the build. Well, it's done and it is a really great flyer, even in a fairly good breeze ! The finished plane weighs 14 oz. with a 1300 Battery, thunderbird 18 ESC, and a BP 2208-17 motor. A very nice flying plane.

Attached are some photos.
cbinfl is offline Find More Posts by cbinfl
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:47 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,481 Posts
Very nice!
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:31 AM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Looks fantastic, great Job! Comparing the EVA to the Hornet, which one do you recommend?
Thanks,

Mark
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC
Old Sep 02, 2011, 11:18 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
148 Posts
Just got back from flying . I'm retired, it's great. To answer your question, both builds are equally easy. I like that you can remove the wings from the EVA. Although I haven't done it much, and I like the big top hatch for battery changes. I bought the bipe version first, but added the sport wings after the first few flights. It's really kind of 3D, especially the tail surfaces. I cut the bipe throws way back, but still liked the sport version better for my flying. Slow to medium speed and smooth maneuvers. I use a 1500ma battery and this motor in the EVA, http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...28&item_id=159

The Hornet is a little smaller and lighter and the wings don't come off, at least not yet, and the battery hatch is smaller and on the bottom, but flying wise it is really nice. Again I have the throws reduced, but it's very smooth and really pretty good in the wind considering its weight.

Funny, last night I spent an hour comparing the MM and Alien Piper cub models. Maybe I'll be ready for another build next month ??
cbinfl is offline Find More Posts by cbinfl
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:59 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Retirement? Well, I'm getting close but not quite there yet, it must be great. Right now, it's too many kits and not enough time.
I've been looking at the EVA for a while, but never purchased one yet. I was definitely thinking of the "sport" wing if I do decide to get one. Thanks for the info on the flight characteristics and brushless motor.
I live on a lake, so I am also thinking about the Alien Dragon seaplane for some backyard flying or Uh, maybe the Hornet or EVA with floats? Anyway, good luck with your Piper cub build, should you decide.

Mark
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC