HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:29 AM
Omaha NE
Joined Aug 2009
114 Posts
Discussion
Blade Scout CX!!!

Whoa! Have you guys seen this? Its so tiny!!! Sounds like I need a new office toy!!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=BLH2700
boss99er is offline Find More Posts by boss99er
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss99er View Post
[...] Sounds like I need a new office toy!!! [...]
.... and (for chinese manufacturer) a new heli to clone at half the price....
helicopcat is offline Find More Posts by helicopcat
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:40 AM
Omaha NE
Joined Aug 2009
114 Posts
Actually....I think they went the other way with this one. I think Blade copied the existing chinese toy helis, probably made them a bit better, and charged double.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:58 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Interesting heli for Blade to be releasing. A little bit ugly but I find all Blade helis ugly, I'm not a fan of their design & colour choices.

I think $50 is a bit steep for such a simple heli and it doesn't seem to include a charger. I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes though.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:07 AM
Omaha NE
Joined Aug 2009
114 Posts
Yeah, their style does seem to always be dated a bit.....but if this thing flies at all like the MCX, they wont be able to keep it on the shelves this christmas.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:50 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Apr 2003
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
...it doesn't seem to include a charger.
The flight battery is charged from a port on the transmitter.

Blade Scout CX (1 min 29 sec)
tdriedger is offline Find More Posts by tdriedger
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:17 PM
Intermediate rc plane pilot
Joined Aug 2011
65 Posts
I paid more for my Syma clone from a mall kiosk back when I didn't know any better lol. At least Blade's 3-Ch heli has servos to control movement and not some dinky little fan on the tail.
Pimpbaa is offline Find More Posts by Pimpbaa
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
Good for my son and daughter for that matter!!!
nastycivilian is offline Find More Posts by nastycivilian
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:54 PM
Has an RC Problem
United States, NC, Franklin
Joined Mar 2010
293 Posts
My nephew has seen my fly my helis, and told my sister the other day he wants an RC heli from me for Christmas. This should be the perfect heli to get him started with. Thanks for posting it up boss99er
WNCmotard is offline Find More Posts by WNCmotard
Old Sep 03, 2011, 09:04 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,753 Posts
If this were 4 ch it would be even better. I'm guessing it wont bind to existing DSM transmitters which sucks because what if you fly mode 1?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:14 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
If this were 4 ch it would be even better. I'm guessing it wont bind to existing DSM transmitters which sucks because what if you fly mode 1?
3-channel helis place rudder on the right stick. If my memory serves me correctly, that is actually mode 3!

Agreed that BNF would be more appealing; however, HH is obviously leaning towards "toy grade" with this heli...one more reason I quit shopping at my LHS.
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:10 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,753 Posts
I don't see this being as Durable as some of the other 3 ch helis like the light hawk BUT blade has 2.4 ghz Which is leaps and bounds better than IR and blade is lighter no doubt.

Why has blade made TX that looks like it's IR?

Odd
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
The tx probably looks that way because there are already existing molds for it and it's cheap.

I agree 4ch would be better but they are probably trying to capture the syma market after seeing how popular they are.

As for where the channels go, since it's a 3ch you could put the rudder wherever you wanted. I personally think it makes more sense to put it on the left stick so that when you upgrade to 4ch you don't have to relearn.

I'm assuming that it uses the linear servos so there's no reason you couldn't make it mode 2 anyway with a little soldering if it is bnf with existing dsm2/dsmx transmitters.

*edit*
Just read through the manual and they went with the same dumb channel assignments as all other 3ch and put the rudder on the right stick. They do have a binding procedure though so hopefully they can be bound to existing dsm2 transmitters.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Last edited by Druss; Sep 07, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 05:25 PM
RC blogger
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
There is no sign of DSM in manual. I don't think Horizon Hobby really changed radio protocol, but they probably denied this RX to bind with TX other than stock. (I hope I'm mistaken )
Heliblog_ru is offline Find More Posts by Heliblog_ru
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:29 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Sweet!

Perfect timing too, I am setting up a program for indoor flying for scouts this fall.

This'll make it very affordable for the beginners.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf