HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
Help!
Noob questions about Rx, ESC and servos hook up

Not sure where to post this but its noob questions so I guess here should be fine. I have flown nitro planes before long time ago, I was 12, with my dad. I have wanted to get back into RC planes for some time now. Im new to electric flying.

Ok I’m building a titan wing. Its about 60% done have to put on the elevons and install servos and ESC motor, TX ect.

I bought a new 2.4 6-chan futaba T6J thinking I might get into choppers someday. Now the old 72 FM Rx and Tx that me and my dad used before had the reviver that has notches in it for the servo wires to only go into the receiver one way. Servos where about 2x as big as the HI-tec HS-82MG that I now have and the had a notch on the plug so it went in to the receiver only one way. The new servos don’t have that notch on the plug. What way should they go? Yellow wire to left or right. As far as I can tell they will go in any way you want.

I bought a turnigy 30A ESC to run the 3035 1700 kv brushless motor. I soldered the bullet connecters on to the ESC to plug the motor in to it and also soldered a connecter for the lipo (turnigy 2200 mAh 3S) now the ESC has a small plug for the Rx, Im not sure where that should go I have a switch looking thing that came with the radio has a female connecter for the small plug out the ESC the dumps in to a on/off switch then has 2 male connecter outputs where should they go. Can you power the Rx off the lipo and ESC. Or am I missing something BEC? The switch looking thing only has 2 wires as input and output. The ESC has a three wire output (male) and a notch for the Rx??

So I tried to hook this all up Batt to ESC to motor and Rx to servos and ECS with the switch thing. As soon as I plugged in the batt the motor would twitch and beep? The green light on the Rx was lit and I had power to servos. I could move the servos with Tx. I couldn’t get the motor to spin at all. Im assuming that something was plugged in wrong or I don’t have the correct BEC??

Any help would be awesome

Thanks in advance
CryHavocc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavocc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:41 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Ok, you're doing everything right,except one thing.

Dont use the switch. Your battery acts as your on/off switch..but because the switch you have only has two wires (red and black) it only gives the Rx and servos power. The white wire is the signal...but since that can't get through you have no signal to your ESC.

If you can, also put some heat shrink (or at least electrical tape) over your bullet connectors and ESC side XT60's to keep them from shorting if they touch, or you accidentally drop a wire or screwdriver or something on them.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:58 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,762 Posts
I think that the Futaba is reversed on the throttle. You need to servo reverse the throttle if Endlesslag's suggestion doesn't work.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
so I can plug the ESC into the Rx?

Do I put it in the batt slot or throttle slot?

will floping the servos from say yellow wire on right to yellow wire on left switch the direction of the servos?
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:27 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavocc View Post
You have no choice to plug the esc in the RX.
Quote:
You connect the ESC in the throttle channel, if its equiped with a BEC then it will also power the receiver and the servos. If not then you need seperate power source for the rx and servo that you can connect in the BATT port or any port since the ports share the same power bus.
Quote:
will floping the servos from say yellow wire on right to yellow wire on left switch the direction of the servos?
NOPE, other then reversing the channel in the radio, you can by servo reversing harness, or phisicaly open up the servo and solder change the motor leads as well as the pot leads. Or you can buy a reverse servo or installed the servo in different orientation to allow proper surface movement.

Easy way is to reverse the channel on the radio which most radio do have this options. Either mecahnicaly with a switch or by programming if its a computer radio.

Getting rid of the switch in a electric RC will save you from a possible failure point when you are using ESC with BEC. If you have a setup with a seperate receiver/servo pack then a switch is recommended.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:43 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavocc View Post
Yes...

Quote:
Throttle, because you are controlling your throttle.

Quote:
It will do nothing. Servo reversing has to be done on the transmitter. OR in the case your Tx doesn't have servo reversing, you will need to buy a reversed servo.
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
You can flip the 3 wire connectors from the the servo or the ESC either way and not hurt anything, try both ways. I have the Futaba 7C, you can reverse servos with TX programming ... do not reverse in the servo. Here is a typical setup with various servo suppliers:
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
awsome info thanks all
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:22 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Does this help?
RC Plane Wiring - 3 Channel (8 min 11 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501