SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:46 PM
Honorificabilitudinitatib us
United States, PA, Reading
Joined Aug 2011
27 Posts
Ok I'm impatient I want to fly this plane but mine is back-ordered so when these going to come in??? G3D.
Geisha3d is offline Find More Posts by Geisha3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:08 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,254 Posts
Geisha they should be coming in soon.
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:50 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Brad..Your making it really difficult to buy anything from you. You have so many incredible choices I don't know which direction I want to go in. But trust me which ever way I go it will certainly be from Twistedhobbies...

I want the slick but I also want the 3d buster.. Man... hard choice.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:13 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Brad..Your making it really difficult to buy anything from you. You have so many incredible choices I don't know which direction I want to go in. But trust me which ever way I go it will certainly be from Twistedhobbies...

I want the slick but I also want the 3d buster.. Man... hard choice.
For me, the Slick is better at a higher speed/energy flying but still flies slow very well, and can handle the wind better. The Buster is better at slow low stuff and is a 3D animal. The complement each other very well, and I know it's a well worn phrase, but you really just need them both. Or just pick the one that you think you'll like and you can't go wrong, they both are very excellent.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:10 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
For me, the Slick is better at a higher speed/energy flying but still flies slow very well, and can handle the wind better. The Buster is better at slow low stuff and is a 3D animal. The complement each other very well, and I know it's a well worn phrase, but you really just need them both. Or just pick the one that you think you'll like and you can't go wrong, they both are very excellent.
Thanks for the analysis Jet.. Like you said it seems like I need both..
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:13 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Did you all see that the Telink version of this plane will be available at TH soon: http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/Telink...540-T-Edge.htm
whats the difference between it and the slick other than scheme?

im not gonna be able to resist one of these much long definitely gonna try out the 2610 motrolfly (72g) and 2200 packs since i already have them from another airframe. kinda worried about the build since, well, i have a foamie curse..lets hope i can follow the amazingly simple directions herc put up! How necessary is the metal motor mount? is it worth the extra weight since ill be running a somewhat heavy setup already?
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rcbirk21; Oct 17, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:40 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
The planes are identical except for the scheme, they even come with sfg's according to Brad. The ally mount isn't really needed especially as you say with a heavier set up. I've heard of the ply mounts breaking but if you pile it in hard enough to break the mount you got to expect something to break.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:59 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
whats the difference between it and the slick other than scheme?

im not gonna be able to resist one of these much long definitely gonna try out the 2610 motrolfly (72g) and 2200 packs since i already have them from another airframe. kinda worried about the build since, well, i have a foamie curse..lets hope i can follow the amazingly simple directions herc put up! How necessary is the metal motor mount? is it worth the extra weight since ill be running a somewhat heavy setup already?
I nosed in pretty hard, straight in under full power and broke the motor mount without any other damage to the plane. To fix it I ca'd it back together and then layered fiberglass cloth on both sides and soaked it in thin ca and sprayed accelerant on it. It's very strong now. On my Buster I just made a new mount out of 1/8" ABS plastic sheet from work. That thing won't break, it's pretty tough stuff. I think if you just sandwich the stock mount between fiberglass like I did the repair and then install it you won't add much weight and it will be plenty strong.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:10 PM
Conductor
Portland, Maine
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
I am absolutely loving this plane! Have I said that before, LOL. Thanks again Twisted Hobbys. Me being a bipe guy Im definitely going with a Buster next.
IronHorse442 is offline Find More Posts by IronHorse442
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:56 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Got the maiden in on Jakeyboy's Slick today, thought we had a break in the weather and went for it. Turned out we missed the break and ended up flying in quite a turbulent breeze with snow starting to fall. It was hard to tell anything on the trimming front so that'll have to wait for the next outing. It looked great in the air, that is until I got caught out and stuffed it in Got away pretty lightly with the damage, we just changed the prop then off Jakeyboy went for his shot. He didn't last long with cold fingers and it wasn't till he came down we noticed I'd split the hinge line on an aileron, good job I fitted the hinges All fixed up in ten minutes and ready to go again, don't you just love epp, can't wait to get out with it in better conditions now
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:02 AM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm View Post
Geisha they should be coming in soon.
Is this website inccurate as it is listed as "IN STOCK"
http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/Telink...xtra-Slick.htm

I really was impressed with the TH Slick having flown it at E-nall with Chris and RJ, learned a few moves like the RJ DT TS, and had my first taste of high energy 3D, in the 20+oz range EPP foamies.

I have one of these models:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1377054&page=1

While the bouncer is of a softer flexing type model I did come home from the E-nall and decided to repower it for the 10X4.7APC SF prop. and going 4s as my motor is 970KV, I bought some 1300 40C Skylipos and am really pleased with the performance in my Bouncer.

I say all this because I will be getting a STIFFY TH E-Slick and it will be getting this now proven/capable powerplant in it:
Using the 10X4.7SF APC on 4s watt readings are, 400W, 26amps 15.8VDC

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...&ref=MD2510-LE

I also put together a servodatabase comp list and wonder what some thoughts as to what might be a step up over the very capable TH servos that I test flew in CJ's Slick:

Note, click on specs to sort in order of highlited specs

http://www.servodatabase.com/compare...09&sort=torque
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Last edited by c/f; Oct 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: watt meter readings added to motor info
Old Oct 21, 2011, 06:12 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c/f View Post
Is this website inccurate as it is listed as "IN STOCK"
http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/Telink...xtra-Slick.htm

I really was impressed with the TH Slick having flown it at E-nall with Chris and RJ, learned a few moves like the RJ DT TS, and had my first taste of high energy 3D, in the 20+oz range EPP foamies.

I have one of these models:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1377054&page=1

While the bouncer is of a softer flexing type model I did come home from the E-nall and decided to repower it for the 10X4.7APC SF prop. and going 4s as my motor is 970KV, I bought some 1300 40C Skylipos and am really pleased with the performance in my Bouncer.

I say all this because I will be getting a STIFFY TH E-Slick and it will be getting this now proven/capable powerplant in it:

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...&ref=MD2510-LE

I also put together a servodatabase comp list and wonder what some thoughts as to what might be a step up over the very capable TH servos that I test flew in CJ's Slick:

Note, click on specs to sort in order of highlited specs

http://www.servodatabase.com/compare...09&sort=torque
I know that motor has a great reputation for power and reliability but, you might have problems getting the plane to balance with a motor that light. It depends on what battery packs you are running. Most of the people who have been using this motor have been using it in 3D planes in the 15-18 oz range. From my experience with a 72gm motor and 1800mah batts it may be the only way to balance it would be to go with a 2200mah batt or add weight to the nose which might take more power than this motor can handle. I'm not saying not to try it, just letting you know from my experience what works as far as balancing it goes. If you try it and it works be sure to post your results, more information on succesful setups is always welcome. Good luck.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:00 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,315 Posts
Jet :

Its kind of already proven since the bouncer if of same planform and weight range as the TH Slick, My Bouncer was 22oz RTF with a 3s 1300 124g, I repowered the same motor same airframe to 4s and downsized prop to the 10x4.7, my battery weight penalty is now 158g and the plane flies with much more high energy thrust/speed.

Chris J's TH Slick I flew @ e-nall, was using a 3s 1550 136g with a 70g motor up front and the battery pack cut into fuse behind wing center, so with 12-14g servos instead of 19g in tail I think I can get this plane balanced and under current weights with better thrust/weight ratio, using the Micro Dan motor which is handling the power no problem. 4s watt meter readings are 400W, 26amps 15.8VDC
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Last edited by c/f; Oct 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:45 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,017 Posts
My Extra Slick is at 26oz. auw with a 72gm motor, I'm using the recommended TP servo's which are about 15gm auw, the esc I'm using is an Airboss 45amp[I'm not sure how much it weighs but it's not light]and it's mounted right up front on the fuse, and I'm using 1800mah batts that weigh 152gm. With this setup my batt is cut into the fuse so that the front of the batt is about 3/4" behind the motor mount and the aft end of the batt is just past the le of the wing. With the batt in this position and this equipment my plane balances just ever so slightly nose heavy, inverted I just have to apply a very slight amount of down elevator to fly level. On a vertical down line with all sticks at neutral it dives straight, and ke in all attitudes is literally hands off. Given all this info you can see how I'm wondering how well your's will balance using a lighter batt and lighter motor. I'm interested how this works out, I hope it works well. One thing with this plane, it dosn't mind the extra weight. I think if it's too light it's going to lose it's ability to snap and tumble, and will feel more like a foamy and less like a small balsa model. Not that there is anything wrong with flying like a light foamie, but for me this role is filled by my 3D-Buster. The nice thing about the Extra Slick is that it can handle more wind and flies more precise, and I think this is due to the weight.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:00 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,403 Posts
I am seriously considering one of these but I am curious as to why cut a hole for the battery - doesn't that weaken the fuse?

All my other foamies I have used hook&loop - is the battery too large/heavy to do this securely?

Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow