HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:00 PM
Planes from 1oz to 55lb's
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
1,278 Posts
Discussion
Scratchbuilt balsa night flyer "EVE-FLYER" (pics and video)

My latest project, a scratch built balsa night flyer.

I framed it up in one weekend, and finished it the next. The wings contain 14 ultra-bright 5 mm LEDs (I believe they are 5000 mcd) which are powered by a single Li-ion salvaged from a cellphone. More LEDs will be installed on the fuse and tail soon.

I am running a hacker A20-50s motor, 9 amp ESC and a 1320 3s lipo

The wings have only a single carbon spar and covered with parklite covering (great material btw). A carefully bent aluminum joiner glued into the fuse slips into the carbon spar and gives it the proper dihedral. The hold the wings in place, two nylon screws thread into a small plywood block on the inside of the inner rib. I made the cowling out of a mozzarella container, and the landing gear came from a mini funtana. Simple 1/4in balsa sticks painted with water based krylon paint form the fuse. I also fabricated a simple steerable tailwheel out of some piano wire. I didn't make ailerons, but maybe in the future I will add them.
It really flies fine the way it is, Very slow and docile, It makes an excellent parkflyer and is a blast to fly at night or dusk. The LEDs are so bright I can see them even with the Florida sunshine.

If I were to change anything I would make the nose a bit longer, as it is a bit difficult to balance with such a light motor. The incidence might need a bit of fine tuning as well.

Here are some pics fro your enjoyment!

Eve flyer (1 min 28 sec)
simo10 is offline Find More Posts by simo10
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:57 PM
Joined Mar 2005
47 Posts
A night flyer it's suppose to flight at night........ I also think that is tail heavy too.

I would like to see a real night video
azza is offline Find More Posts by azza
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:37 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,097 Posts
I like it!
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker