HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:48 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
Question
Newbie looking for advice!

Hi all,

I complete newbie here and I was hoping that the huge amount of knowledge here can answer a few questions for me.

I've been putting around with my new HC Super Cub Mini and having a blast getting my sea legs (air legs? ). I understand that this trainer setup has a propriety controller built specifically for this plane - ie...when i upgrade to a 4 channel plane, a new controller will be required.

Here's where I am getting confused. If I bought an RTF 4 channel kit such as one of the Parkzone (or similar) RTF kits that comes with a "4-channel transmitter with Spektrum™ 2.4GHz DSM2™ technology" will this be usable on other aircraft?

I'm still wading through the pages of info available, but any help on how to move to a 4 channel setup would be appreciated!
rkathner is offline Find More Posts by rkathner
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:38 PM
Ventura County
Joined Jul 2007
720 Posts
I would point you to this thread which specifically deals with your plane. Place your question there and see what happens.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962575

Dave
ArsonDave is offline Find More Posts by ArsonDave
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkathner View Post
Hi all,

I complete newbie here and I was hoping that the huge amount of knowledge here can answer a few questions for me.

I've been putting around with my new HC Super Cub Mini and having a blast getting my sea legs (air legs? ). I understand that this trainer setup has a propriety controller built specifically for this plane - ie...when i upgrade to a 4 channel plane, a new controller will be required.

Here's where I am getting confused. If I bought an RTF 4 channel kit such as one of the Parkzone (or similar) RTF kits that comes with a "4-channel transmitter with Spektrum™ 2.4GHz DSM2™ technology" will this be usable on other aircraft?

I'm still wading through the pages of info available, but any help on how to move to a 4 channel setup would be appreciated!
There's no telling for sure (without having someone chime in) exactly what transmitter you have now.

The original HobbyZone Mini Super Cub is not really the same thing as your HobbyCity Mini Super Cub look-a-like.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:00 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
... If I bought an RTF 4 channel kit such as one of the Parkzone (or similar) RTF kits that comes with a "4-channel transmitter with Spektrum™ 2.4GHz DSM2™ technology" will this be usable on other aircraft? ...
Yes, other aircraft equipped with DSM2 receivers (like the extensive like of planes from Parkzone). You can buy one radio (like a DX6i) and then use for a very wide variety of "Bind-N-Fly" (BNF) planes from trainers to warbirds to acrobatics, etc. Almost everyone of those Parkzone planes is highly regarded and often is "best in class" for quality, ease of flying, spare parts availability, etc.

Parkzone is highly beloved on RCGroups!

The "full range" transmitters that come with many RTF packages though lack important features (like "model memories") and other features that you'll likely want if you stay on in this hobby at all.

I recommend purchasing the DX6i (6 channel, with 10 model memories) and then get the BNF version of the plane(s) you want instead of the RTF package. It will cost more in total at first but you'll be really happy even if you just buy a second plane.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:01 PM
United States, MO, Byrnes Mill
Joined Aug 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

the free transmitters while still 2.4 are not exactly quality.. from my readings and lots of advice from others i would invest ina spektrum dx5e or dx6i min the first can be gotten for as little as 30 dollars and other for 100 or so used
grrmisfit is offline Find More Posts by grrmisfit
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:09 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
Thanks for your replies!

I love a community where people are ready to help!

More reading/research underway!
rkathner is offline Find More Posts by rkathner