HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2001, 12:25 PM
Lexington, South Carolina
Joined Oct 2001
514 Posts
Odyssey EP by E-flite

Has anyone flown one of these? and if so, would you recomend it . I have a friend that wants to get into electric sailplanes, and he is thinking of buying one of these.

Steven
Steven9026 is offline Find More Posts by Steven9026
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2001, 07:10 PM
Senior Moment
Woburn, MA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
624 Posts
Hi Steven,
I've flown mine only a few minutes. I have noticed that it's not real easy to handle.
You can read all about it, just search on 'Odyssey', here at Sailplanes.
Rich<>
rlt55 is offline Find More Posts by rlt55
Old Oct 24, 2001, 08:14 AM
Lexington, South Carolina
Joined Oct 2001
514 Posts
Thanks Rich

Steven
Steven9026 is offline Find More Posts by Steven9026
Old Nov 14, 2001, 06:28 PM
Harrisburg, PA - USA
Joined May 2001
363 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd throw in my comments. An experienced glow pilot (40 years worth!) at our flying club bought the Odyssey. I was with him when he flew it - four times. The Odyssey is now in his trash heap. The plane is terribly underpowered, tip stalls constantly unless it's in a shallow dive, and only stays up about 8 minutes - if you don't crash it first. Pretty bad for any glider. All four flights ended in a tip stall spiral into the ground on final approach.

I've been flying the Dymond Flipper since April and I have yet to see any glider that flies as well, is as easy to handle, and thermals as well as the Flipper - two flights last week at 30 minutes.. If you're looking for a beginner's glider, there can't possibly be anything better than the Flipper. Trust me - I'm with the government!
Ron D is offline Find More Posts by Ron D
Old Nov 14, 2001, 11:38 PM
Senior Moment
Woburn, MA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
624 Posts
I know a glow pilot that retired his E-glider after it's first flight. He just could not believe how under-powered it was. I guess that someone who is used to having a powerful IC engine plane can fly vertically until it's out of sight, is never going to be very happy with a slow moving glider.

I'm happy if my Odyssey gets up to 200 or 300 feet within a minute or two. (Which can be very difficult to do, if you don't have the right battery or if there is a head wind blowing).

The handling is about what I expected from a rudder & elevator glider loaded down with a heavy motor and pack. However, the only tip stalls I've seen is during turns when I've let the airspeed get too low. I wonder if there was a CG problem on your friend's Odyssey..?..

As with any new plane, it's best to get about 2 mistakes high before trying any tight (or slow) turns.
I had one bad crash trying to make a tight turn over the runway. (Broke the canopy latch).
You are right, it's definitely not a beginners E-glider. The way the nose pops up when you add power makes it a handful to fly during launch.

Your Dymond Flipper is about 1/2 the weight of the Odyssey and the wingspan is about 2 feet shorter.
I can see why it would be faster in the climb and a good floater..
I wish that I had gotten a plain old glider instead of the Odyssey, However, since I only paid $30 for it, I'm not going complain about it too much.

Rich<>
rlt55 is offline Find More Posts by rlt55