HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2003, 02:17 AM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,425 Posts
How can we improve this site?

This thread is just an opportunity for you to give me your feedback directly.

What can I do to improve the "fuel" section of RCGroups?

Don't worry about resource constraints (time, money, etc). Just give me your thoughts on what would make the best website for you personally.

My guess is that most people have very simple needs, but if folks here want an auction system, for example, we can have one running quickly. Fact is, we already have one ready, but aren't sure anyone is really interested!

If you want a change to the forum structure then go ahead and ask away here as well. Anything goes. We'll be working overtime to make as many people comfortable here as we can.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2003, 02:48 AM
Essex England
Joined May 2003
117 Posts
DONT CHANGE IT!!!

RC Universe have just changed there software etc. and totaly F*&^%it up!!

i know of at least 10 people that dont bother with that site any more, its totaly usless now!!

just my 2 penneth worth!!
the boy is offline Find More Posts by the boy
Old Sep 11, 2003, 03:04 AM
Joined Aug 2003
82 Posts
Yeah, RCuniverse has killed any reputation it used to have, I went there and didnt have a clue where to click, ive seen warez sites better organized than this.

Thats my 2 bucks worth anyway.
occy is offline Find More Posts by occy
Old Sep 11, 2003, 03:15 AM
'sarp 'all
Canberra - Australia
Joined Mar 2003
336 Posts
Isnt the feul section pretty much dead?

the possible reason may be that ezone is electric only, and liftzone is gliders. I dont see a "Slimers zone"
VinceS is offline Find More Posts by VinceS
Old Sep 11, 2003, 03:18 AM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
I wish other sites I visit were laid out like this. Very intuitive.

Thanks!
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Sep 11, 2003, 03:19 AM
United States, AL, Section
Joined Jan 2003
44 Posts
I am all electric so I cant help.
Sorry
larrylwill is offline Find More Posts by larrylwill
Old Sep 11, 2003, 03:26 AM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VinceS
Isnt the feul section pretty much dead?
Not any more. It was a few months ago.

Quote:

the possible reason may be that ezone is electric only, and liftzone is gliders. I dont see a "Slimers zone"
Not yet.

I'll attach a logo. The URL will be www.rcpowermag.com

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Sep 11, 2003, 03:27 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
There are a few, minor issues that I have. I don;t have a particularly high speed connection, and it does take a long time for pages to load etc, so the first issue is about how *I* use the sites (mainly e-zone)

I like to rapidly scan all articles in a forum I am watching, then mark teh forum as read, then go to 'my rcgroups' to catch uip on other stuff.

Its a total pain that when I have finished 'next thread'ing, I end up with a screen saying sorry, have to back track to last post, back track to overall forum view, mark the forum as all read, then wait for it to get me back to the forum view, then press 'my rcgroups' again to get back to my personal view.

IF ONLY there was a 'mark all this forum read' button on the 'sorry' screen, I would have gfar more time to hack balsa

Another issue is to do with what seems to be a bug.

If I post a message or reply, it seems to mark articles in other forums as read, prior to the time of my posting.

I am not sure exactly of what is really happening, just that sometimes stuff gets marked as read, when it isn't.

Apart from that, with a few minor bleats about the logicality of the forum titles that I can live with, PLEASE DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!

It ain't broke, its fabulous, don't try to fix it.

AND while I am at it, a vote of thanks to all the moderators, who do a difficult job very well. Sure sometimes I disagree with policy interpretations, but that is a small price to pay for a more or less well on topic set of fora.

So on content top marks, on policy top marks, on form - yes, there are some details that could be adjusted, but nothings perfect. More flxible ways to serach and scan and read the stuff quickly with less keystrokes would be nice....

..oh and the ability to accept more file types as attachments. DXF's and other graphics forms especially, and multple attachments per post.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 11, 2003, 03:52 AM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
More along the lines of "keep it this way" rather than improve on it: I very much like the small ads on the top right corner of a page, and only a small banner adv. just above where a forum starts. PLEASE don't splash such a BIG banner adv. that users are forced to scroll thru an entire page just to get to the 1st posting. That has really ticked me off at other sites and I am making a point to avoid the company in those advs. RCGroups is only one of 2 or 3 sites that I actually click on a adv. and proactively go to a adv. website, fwiw.

It would be nice to have a "See Recent New Post" button for only the groups that one is subscribed to, bit I guess that is part of the forum s/w package?
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Old Sep 11, 2003, 03:58 AM
Los Angeles, California
Joined Apr 2002
923 Posts
My suggestion is regarding view any forum, not particularly in "fuel" related forum.

I use a PDA to view rcgroups.com and it will be nice if the forums are PDA aware that will cut down on the heavy use of graphics. I don't care about the sponsors' link still appearing but cutting down on the graphics will help load the pages faster.

I personally use a Palm based PDA. If there is any PQA that can help browsing selected forums, subscribed threads and "My RcGroups", it helps a lot too.
aau007 is offline Find More Posts by aau007
Old Sep 11, 2003, 04:00 AM
Rob H
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Jun 2002
631 Posts
Hi Jim, firstly- thankyou for a great forum, I like it how it is.

My small gripe would be that there's too many specific forums-

In my case, the guys that know the answer are usually hanging out in 'Parkflyers' and don't check 'Batteries' Engines' etc so often.

I found better replies the few times I ignored the special forum and went to 'Parkflyers' - I think I got moved a couple of time too.

So I think having too many specific forums could eventually narrow the viewing down to one or two people.

Secondly, I'm all electric, isn't fuel that smelly stuff that wrecks your polystyrene plane ?

Thanks again for a great forum, I've learnt so much here and if I need to know something, I'm sure of an answer in around 24 hours.

Flyfan
Flyfan is offline Find More Posts by Flyfan
Old Sep 11, 2003, 04:00 AM
Stafford,UK.
Joined Oct 2002
59 Posts
Very Happy with site as it is . Don't change.
pete,pilot is offline Find More Posts by pete,pilot
Old Sep 11, 2003, 05:05 AM
ProBro #261
Coogee, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
610 Posts
I used to use both RCgroups and RCuniverse, now I only use rcgroups. Don't balls this site up by trying to make it into an e-bay for RC please. I know its tempting but if people want to buy or sell second hand gear they can use RCuniverse, if they want somewhere that they can share ideas and information like the majority of us they will use RCgroups, and the sponsors will recognise this.

Good site, I think it makes people comfortable to share their thoughts.
mc71 is offline Find More Posts by mc71
Old Sep 11, 2003, 06:19 AM
Kakanui /Auckland /New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
13 Posts
Great site , I enjoy the vast array of information including the colourful adds! The current stucture is fine. Helps remove the isolation of living in New Zealand!
Gerald Wimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gerald Wimmer
Old Sep 11, 2003, 06:22 AM
Still diggin' holes...
Belgium
Joined Jan 2002
158 Posts
What I read here is rather typical...

Sure RCUniverse has changed... and when you're used to something it can take some time to get used to something else... but if you take the time to look at the pages presented to you properly: it's all there, don't worry!

So if you want to update the looks of RCGroups, go right ahead.

An auction area would be cool I think. Saves you the trouble of browsing through the massive amounts of auctions at EBAY.
Just keep it more or less a seperate area.

About big adds... well I don't have a problem with that (fibreoptics rock!), but I understand that people with dial up connections don't like em.
Maybe you could alter the site so that people with slow connections can choose to get a simpler, more economic on bandwith page layout, and the ones who prefer can get the full blown graphics...
Cometlover is offline Find More Posts by Cometlover