HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:43 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Discussion
Hitec Aurora 9 or Spectrum DX-8?

I have a dx6 for my planes and helis. I'm starting a X-8 quadcopter with GPS build and will need at least 8 channels. So I find myself in the market for another radio. Does anyone swear by hitec over spectrum. The Tx will only be for the quad so I'm ok with jumping ship if Hitec makes a good product.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:40 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZSlenker View Post
I have a dx6 for my planes and helis. I'm starting a X-8 quadcopter with GPS build and will need at least 8 channels. So I find myself in the market for another radio. Does anyone swear by hitec over spectrum. The Tx will only be for the quad so I'm ok with jumping ship if Hitec makes a good product.
To many existing polls on same subject, for example:
Which Transmitter do you recommend? - self explanatory screen shot attached.

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Aug 30, 2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: attach .jpg
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:46 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,488 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone swear by hitec over spectrum.
Yes, and there are those of us who swear by Spektrum over all others.

Rather than asking for a "mine is bigger" conflict, go to your local hobby shop and hold them both. Try using both. Which fits your hands better? Which is more intuitive to program? Is the man behind the counter able to show you how to use one radio more easily than the other? If so, consider that - he's going to be near the top of your "help me" list.

Now go to your local flying club. Look around, ask what others have and like or dislike about their radios (don't ask about other brands - you'll usually get misinformation).

With any radio, it's a matter of local support. If everybody at the club field or at the hobby shop is flying Brand X, if you come in with Brand Y, it may make it difficult to get assistance.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:50 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,837 Posts
Quote:
... Does anyone swear by hitec over spectrum. ... I'm ok with jumping ship if Hitec makes a good product.
I am sure people will swear to Hitec as some will do the same for Spektrum. Jump ship if you wish to, it's your money who is paying for the radio. Visit LHS if you have one and hold them both in your hands, play and or check out the menus and see first hand how they are and work.

Then make your own decision and don't let some online member who swears by his own brand tell you what to buy.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my LHS does not sell Hitec. (I checked today) I'm happy with Spectrum but for this project I think I'll give the Aurora 9 a try. Freechip, ironically it's not my money that is paying for it. My company is picking up the bill for the X-8 and Aurora 9.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:03 PM
Brandon
Meridian, Idaho
Joined Dec 2006
491 Posts
You know, I have to give Andy credit. Every VS. thread I see (even mine) he gives this advice and it is pretty legit, and not too much Spektrum drum banging. I like that.
hoverflyhehe is offline Find More Posts by hoverflyhehe
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
true enough hoverflyhehe, and I am personally happy with my Spectrum stuff, just looking at other options as I need at least 8 channels and maybe 9 (who knows how many channels the hoverfly GPS will need eventually). I certainly wasn't knocking Spectrum. I was very happy with my 72Mhz Airtronics 6ch when I was a teenager. In my business it's very important to be open to multiple solutions. I guess "swear by" was not worded very well. At any rate thanks for all the input!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:02 AM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Quote:
. Freechip, ironically it's not my money that is paying for it. My company is picking up the bill for the X-8 and Aurora 9.
Does your company still hire additional workers? Would like to work for a company, which pay for my RC-equipment.

Udo
udogigahertz is offline Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:14 AM
Joined May 2006
370 Posts
Everyone I know that owns an Aurora 9 is happy or very happy with it. Apparently Hitec has done a very good job with this one.

I did what Andy suggests, I went to a shop and held the Aurora 9 in my hands. I then deleted it from my candidate list. Unfortunately it did not fit my hands. Also, I didn't like the outside cable from the module to the antenna. I am all for module based systems, but there are good and bad ways to do it. This is an example of a bad way.

Most users of the Aurora praise the touch screen programming. Personally I do not consider touch screens user friendly (but I can see their advantages from an engineering perspective). I know I am not in the majority in this respect.

I am not a fan of polls that have no mechanism for probing a representative population. Just skip those.

The DX8 owners opinions seems to cluster in the extremes. Some like it very well, some hate it. One highly skilled DX8 owner told me to stay away from it even before I mentioned it was on my candidate list.

There are more advantages to select a system people around you also use. You will have a bigger market for selling or buying second hand equipment. You will have better assurance that the same or another manufacturer will make compatible equipment. In the case of Spektrum you can buy 3rd party receivers and FBL systems that are compatible. JR used to make DSM compatible transmitters and still do for some markets. Competition is often good for the consumer. Also there is a selection of BnF models available to DSM owners only. In fact this is the reason why one very happy Aurora 9 owner I know bought a Spektrum transmitter also.

The above is a list of reasons DX8 is still on my candiate list.

The other transmitter on my candidate list is JR XG8. There is much I like about it and I would buy it in an instant if it (also) supported DSM2/DSMX.

In fact I would be a Spektrum user years ago if the DM9 module was not so insanely priced. They could make money by selling them for $1. At the current price I remain on the fence until I have a more compelling reason to replace my well performing 9 channel JR FM/PCM radio. I am in no hurry and can wait. Perhaps until the DX8 problems have been sorted out.
tb47 is online now Find More Posts by tb47
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:51 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb47 View Post
In fact I would be a Spektrum user years ago if the DM9 module was not so insanely priced. They could make money by selling them for $1. At the current price I remain on the fence until I have a more compelling reason to replace my well performing 9 channel JR FM/PCM radio. I am in no hurry and can wait. Perhaps until the DX8 problems have been sorted out.
Yeah the price tag on those modules for JR radios was pretty outrageous when they came out especially when they were selling the Futaba versions for $109.95. Can't IMAGINE why Horizon was doing that.... lol

But take heart, the JR modules are now the same price as the Futaba modules...

They were both out of stock at Horizon for quite some time, but IIRC I saw them as in stock a week or so ago???? You'll have to check if you're still interested in a Spektrum module for your XP9303.

Pssst.... They even changed the antenna setup to something that's much cleaner and less susceptible to unintended damage....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:21 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverflyhehe View Post
You know, I have to give Andy credit. Every VS. thread I see (even mine) he gives this advice and it is pretty legit, and not too much Spektrum drum banging. I like that.
Thanks. Not every radio is right for everybody. If you aren't comfortable with it, or can't ask somebody you know and trust a question/help, you aren't going to have a satisfactory experience.

If you are having a good experience with whatever brand you buy, you're more likely to stay in the hobby.

Eventually everybody has to have one of the BNF micros.

All we have to do is make sure you stay in the hobby long enough to get to that point.

Then you'll buy a Spektrum radio if you don't already have one.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:48 PM
Joined May 2006
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
They were both out of stock at Horizon for quite some time, but IIRC I saw them as in stock a week or so ago???? You'll have to check if you're still interested in a Spektrum module for your XP9303.
Esprit models http://www.espritmodel.com/spektrum-...le-jr-dm9.aspx says they are due early september. At $45 it's more realistic than it used to be. They ask $110 with a 7010 receiver. The receiver supports DSMX but the module does not apparently.
Quote:
Pssst.... They even changed the antenna setup to something that's much cleaner and less susceptible to unintended damage....
Yes, the new encapsulation is a big improvement if you keep switching between FM and 2.4.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined May 2006
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Eventually everybody has to have one of the BNF micros.

All we have to do is make sure you stay in the hobby long enough to get to that point.

Then you'll buy a Spektrum radio if you don't already have one.
And that is exactly what I have seen happen.

You may regret not buying one in the first place.