Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:39 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneman2005 View Post
Mike

if you have a 2D CAD file of the brass rings you need cut I have a machine shop close to me that has a water jet.He did a couple of parts for me in 1/2" steel at a reasonable price.
Do the rings have to be in brass. If you can use steel it would be a lot less expensive.

Dave
Dave:
I don't have a 2D CAD file, but do have a drawing with dimensions. I've already purchased the 0.016" brass sheet to cut. The material can't be any thicker than this. Each paddlewheel spoke, with a slot cut in the outer end has to slip into the ring and be soldered in place.
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:08 AM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
328 Posts
Mike

OK I was thinking you were doing the spokes in wood. I looked at the paddle wheel here http://langleyvideosolutions.smugmug...83469994_vFEaL and see that the steel rim is made up of segments. That would be a exercise in watch making to try and model even if you riveted everything rather than bolts.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is offline Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:00 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneman2005 View Post
Mike

OK I was thinking you were doing the spokes in wood. I looked at the paddle wheel here http://langleyvideosolutions.smugmug...83469994_vFEaL and see that the steel rim is made up of segments. That would be a exercise in watch making to try and model even if you riveted everything rather than bolts.

Dave
Yeah, too many little parts. Even as I'm building the paddlewheel, I'm looking at 384, 00-90 brass hex nuts to attach the 48 paddle blades to the spokes. At some point I have to make decisions balancing time available vs. level of detail I want to achieve. As it is, I'm going to have several thousand hours in this build. Most people looking at the model will not notice, nor appreciate the fine details going into this project, but that's OK. I'm building it this way because I enjoy the design, engineering and execution challenge. At the end of a build day, it's very satisfying to just sit and look at the boat. By using magnifying glasses for all the detail work, the model will hold up well under normal scrutiny. The build gets more rewarding day-by-day as it takes shape. About getting up to Anacortes to the real Preston, they are only open now on weekends, so my trip will be this Saturday. Hope to get good photos for you of the engine reversing gear and other mechanicals. I'm very anxious to get started on the engine and drive system construction.

Mike
Last edited by hookpilot; Oct 05, 2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: correct data error
Old Oct 05, 2011, 10:22 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,285 Posts
Wed. Progress on W.T. Preston

Got a late start working on the boat, but made great progress on the A-frame rigging. It's a complicated contraption with lots of small parts, it's own work platform with railing and 6 sheaves.

The lifeboat is almost complete with the canvas top now in place. Remaining is applying the lettering, tie-down ropes and attaching the lifeboat davits and blocks.

Also started work on the forward mast. I'm making it out of brass. It's a two- part mast with an all around masthead light and below it on a platform a 135 degree light.

I finished installing the starboard side drain pipes and will do the other side tomorrow. Contemplating taking the boat to our monthly meeting to share progress during Show n' Tell tomorrow night. That's about all for today's update. I was in the shop when I learned of Steve Jobs' death. Very sad. I've been a fanatical Mac addict since 1984. In fact, I still have my first Mac 128 I bought in the spring of 1984 and it still works. It's never been in the shop and just keeps going.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:13 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,570 Posts
Looks great there Mike! Yah, all that small detail will not been seen by most. A few will seee th obvious. But will will know every thing about the model and be happy with all he extra effort as it will make the model seem more life like. And when sone one tells you it looks so real--you will definately know the details are worth it!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:12 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,285 Posts
Show and Tell Time for Preston

Tonight I took the Preston to our monthly Northwest R/C Ship Modelers club meeting for Show-and-Tell. Earlier today I made great progress on the A-frame mechanicals building the 4 sheave blocks for lifting the boom. Also finished installing all the drain pipes on the side of the main deck wall.

Christmas! Again. My order from The Model Dockyard in England arrived. More beautiful brass fittings: two, double sheave gin blocks and the rest of my 1.6mm grab rail stanchions.

Having moved the boat twice out of the shop has made it clear that having to engineer the boat so that lots of things have to be unbolted, detached or otherwise disassembled isn't going to be viable. The looming reality is that I'll have to invest in a second utility vehicle that can handle a display case for the entire, assembled Preston. There are too many things to get broken by working with it out in the open. Each disassembly/assembly is also fraught with risk of breaking things. Any suggestions for a boat hauler vehicle/trailer?
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:15 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,285 Posts
Club Photo Revelation

Did any of you notice all the flannel in the middle photo. Sort of reminds me of the gang at Possum Lodge of Red Green fame...
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:28 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
The WT Preston is looking great, excellent in fact.

I guess if the stereo type for Louisiana is overalls and bare feet – it’s only fair to assume flannel shirts for Washington
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:07 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay View Post
The WT Preston is looking great, excellent in fact.

I guess if the stereo type for Louisiana is overalls and bare feet its only fair to assume flannel shirts for Washington
Fannel and burkensocks ( depending on where you live) and shorts!

Looks good Mike. For hauling this beauty--pickup with a canopy, small SUV, Mini van with removeable seats, or a good covered trailer. All depends on how much you want to spend for hauling the prized peice of work. If looking for a trailer, then let me know and can make some good sudgestions.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,285 Posts
Protecting and moving large boat models

It's a little daunting to think about hauling around my two biggest models housed in protective cases. The Preston will sit in a 7 foot long, 15-inch wide, 26-inch high box, and my Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat is already in a large box 64-inches long, 18-inches wide and 26-inches high shipping box. A small pickup with cab sounds like the ticket.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:36 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,570 Posts
and the nice thing about it if you have them encaed for transport, can alyas stack other items around them, on top, or other places and not worry about too much damage. Other option if there is no canopy, can make a double cradle to slide the boxes into so the stay safe and secure.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 02:58 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,285 Posts
Oct 8 Trip to Anacortes/W.T. Preston

It was a spectacular drive from Edmonds up to Anacortes yesterday. We had the top down enjoying the scenery. We spent two hours taking more photos of Preston's steam engine and more details of the upper decks. Afterward we took a drive through a park near the Anacortes ferry. Absolutely beautiful. Then capped off the day by driving home via a run down Whidbey Island and a short ferry ride from Clinton to Mukilteo and then home. Working on lighting system is the project de jour.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,285 Posts
W.T. Preston Build update Oct 12, 2011

After my last visit to the full-sized Preston last week, work progresses on the steam donkey and pilot house. I finished turning the brass gypsy drums for the winch and built the 3 drums. At this scale I'm able to hide the drive motor for the winch inside the 3d drum. I found the tiny gearmotor online and it's perfect for this build. It's only 12mm in diameter and about 40mm long. Running on 12VDC, it turns 50rpm. The 2mm motor shaft turns a 40mm dia. nylon gear. This gear turns the other two 40mm gears and their shafts. A small 9-tooth pinion gear is driven off the 3d gear. This is the power take off for the spud lifting winch. All these powered shaft have winch drums riding on them. To cause a winch drum to turn, a servo pushes the winch drum in against the 40mm gear and shaft, which is always turning when the donkey is running, and, like a clutch, causes the winch drum to turn along with the shaft it rides on. So each drum has a dedicated servo to clutch-in and turn the drum. The gearmotor in drum #3 is on an ESC so I can vary the rpm and reverse the donkey. It works great. Each clutch servo is non proportional.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:32 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,275 Posts
Very nice work.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:55 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,285 Posts
Learning to use milling machine

Have been contemplating getting a milling machine for quite some time, but I'm more interested in finding a good resource for learning how to use it. Also what do those of you with combo lathe/milling machines think of them?? Recommendations? Since I only scratch-build models, being able to turn and shape my own parts is a high priority. (Now have to convince the wife of that concept)

Just a quick update on build: The top of the A-frame on Preston is a complicated mix of 7 sheaves, odd angles and hardware. I'll be able to show how Preston did its work as a snagboat and that requires duplicating all functions and parts on the full-sized boat and the model. I may rebuild the steam donkey, now that I've had a chance to work through the challenges on the first attempt. The current donkey is OK, but I'm not completely satisfied with it. Too much plastic and not enough brass to hold things in precise alignment without flexing under load. It seems you learn a lot when undertaking these little mechanical projects on a boat.

Mike in Edmonds
Last edited by hookpilot; Oct 15, 2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: update info