HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:32 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,193 Posts
Nice job on the Photoshop. It's getting harder to tell what is real and what has been 'Chopped".

Do you have a background using PS?
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:13 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
RE Preston Photoshop Treatment

RMAY: I've used PhotoShop in my work for many years. This was an hour job, slammed together. Photo evidence can't be trusted anymore unless you subject the work to careful scrutiny by an expert. Years ago when this technology was just emerging, National Geo got in trouble for retouching their magazine cover shot of the Pyramids. Someone took out all the slums appearing in the background. The CEO of a company I worked for years ago asked me to 'fix' a photo of his mother and make her look younger. An hour later and I had the old gal ready for Miss America, well, almost. While working on a job at the Vatican I took a shot of the museum courtyard. There were over 200 people milling around in the shot. On the plane ride home I removed all of them leaving a pristine photo of the grounds. Neat.

Mike in Edmonds
hookpilot is online now Find More Posts by hookpilot
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:43 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,193 Posts
I was impressed with your smoke.

I mainly use Photoshop for elements needed in animations. I use After Effects and Zaxwerks to build open and graphics for broadcast in HD.
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:47 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
Hook, fascinating build.
I have always had a question though, on the face of it a paddle wheel (stern wheel in this case) is more vulnerable to damage than a prop (though easier to repair via surface access), why would you have a stern wheel snag boat, which by definition is going to be someplace with a lot of debris which could disable the wheel?
Foo
Stern wheelers at the time wre used quiet often around here as they were shallow draft and could get up the narrow rivers with out much fuss compared to the "prop" boats at the time.Also could be found cheeper than the modern boats at he time. The hull of the snag boats like the Preston could be beached easily durring a tide change and floated off at high tide when done. Side wheelers were just impractable ( although used early on in some area of the PNW) as they were beamy and tough to use on the rivers in Puget Sound. Lucky enough to chat with the last Captain of the Preston as he also went on to run the Puget ( newer replacement at built in 40's) and the stories he told me and anothr modeler were quiet interesting--especially when on Puget Sound.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Sep 06, 2011, 04:51 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S View Post
Stern wheelers at the time wre used quiet often around here as they were shallow draft and could get up the narrow rivers with out much fuss compared to the "prop" boats at the time.Also could be found cheeper than the modern boats at he time. The hull of the snag boats like the Preston could be beached easily durring a tide change and floated off at high tide when done. Side wheelers were just impractable ( although used early on in some area of the PNW) as they were beamy and tough to use on the rivers in Puget Sound. Lucky enough to chat with the last Captain of the Preston as he also went on to run the Puget ( newer replacement at built in 40's) and the stories he told me and anothr modeler were quiet interesting--especially when on Puget Sound.
(See my earlier post #26 on this subject) Mike in Edmonds
Last edited by hookpilot; Sep 06, 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:01 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,852 Posts
Nice update Mike

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Re Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
Nice update Mike

Thanks Aimee. Coming up on major milestone where I can glue everything together. The boat is scattered all over my shop today as I drilled holes in walls for deck work lights and did the final sanding and applying white paint to the main cabin in prep. for tomorrow's fun - gray trim paint, then adding downspouts and a few other little bits and pieces. Once done, all the decks get glued down.

I'm using 3mm white LEDs for work lights. Do you make cages for these?

Mike
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:41 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,852 Posts
What are the work lights supposed to look like?

I have some contemporary square work lamps.

Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:07 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Quote:
What are the work lights supposed to look like?

I have some contemporary square work lamps.

Aimee: the work lights are domed glass with a 100W incandescent bulb sitting in a wire cage. I tried to make a cage out of thin brass wire but it was more trouble than it was worth. Next I tried gluing thread over an LED to simulate the cage. That didn't look good either. So I've decided to leave them bare and hand-ink black lines on the LED to simulate wire cages. BTW, I'm using 3mm white LEDs. I need 18 of them if cages could be made.

Mike
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:31 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,852 Posts
Hmmm, They are difficult to make, but I can make these...
I use an amber lens, or yellow LED with clear lens.
They are low power to evoke the incandescent look.

Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:59 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm, They are difficult to make, but I can make these...
I use an amber lens, or yellow LED with clear lens.
They are low power to evoke the incandescent look.

Aimee:
These are very nice. At my scale, they have to be between 4mm and 5mm tall. I didn't see these on your website. Pricing?
Mike
Last edited by hookpilot; Sep 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: asking another question
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:05 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,852 Posts
No I make these by request, as I haven't been able to get a the LED to sit
nicely in the molds, they are constantly moving out of position, and lead to
a lot of bad pieces and wasted LED. You can just e-mail me when you need them.

Aimee
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:18 AM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
300 Posts
Mike

We need an update on the project. Going into withdrawel.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is offline Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:32 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
W.T. Preston Build Update Oct 3, 2011

Work in the Preston shipyard continues. Since last update, I've pretty much finished the crane boom and bull wheel and it came out great. The one thing I've put off, punching a hole through the bottom for the forward spud casing is done. The brass tube that the spud will drop through is now glued in place. The bearing plate that the bull wheel rotates on is done. The cable handrail system is installed on the wall of the main deck. I've just about finished the canvas lifeboat cover installation too. All the exterior work light LEDs are now in place and ready to solder up to the wiring bundle. I researched and drew out a new lighting control system for the boat and will have the most sophisticated lighting control system around. I picked up a 12-channel radio control lighting control system. A 12-button transmitter controls a small receiver and gives me ON/OFF function over all individual navigation and running lights. So I can display all the proper lights according to USCG Rules of the Road and turn on and off as a group all the exterior work lights and turn on and off all interior cabin lights. All the interior cabin lights are incandescent while all others are LEDs.

In the pilothouse, I've finished the chart table, drawers- with brass drawer-pulls and observer seats.

Today I turned the two gypsy drums out of brass that are part of the 3-drum steam winch. So, lots of small work projects scattered around the boat that needed my attention. I gave up on a local guy I contracted to cut the brass rings for the paddlewheel. The search is underway for a place to get this done. Considering having it laser-cut. I'm holding off on gluing all the decks together until the lighting wiring is done.

Next is a trip to Anacortes and the Preston for more documentation photos and measurements, especially the main steam engine reversing gear arrangement. I'd like to get the steam engine build started soon. That's about it for now. I'll put the boat together for a few update photos.

Mike in Edmonds
Last edited by hookpilot; Oct 03, 2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: adding photos
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:56 PM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
300 Posts
Mike

if you have a 2D CAD file of the brass rings you need cut I have a machine shop close to me that has a water jet.He did a couple of parts for me in 1/2" steel at a reasonable price.
Do the rings have to be in brass. If you can use steel it would be a lot less expensive.

Dave
Phoneman2005 is offline Find More Posts by Phoneman2005