HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:15 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Slope sites in Brisbane Australia?

Hi

I'm aware that people slope at Shorncliffe and Redcliffe, but throwing balsa and fibreglass off a rocky cliff is a bit beyond my skill level.

Can any locals suggest other spots for a little, light slope plane? I'm hoping there's a hill in a park somewhere near my home that generates great lift under certain conditions. I'm dreaming I know, but if you don't ask.....

Thanks

Peter
Peter Young is offline Find More Posts by Peter Young
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:18 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Sorry - just searched and found this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=66111

Still no answers?

Peter
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:24 AM
Ado
Meow?
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,574 Posts
Most good places for balsa and glass planes will require a drive. Montville....Rainbow Beach and Malany are all fair drives(1-2 hours). We know of a couple places down neat the Gold Coast too.

Dont know of any that are "local" to Brisbane apart from Redcliffe and Shornecliffe. Redcliffe is acceptable for balsa and fibreglass if your carefull.....Shorncliffe is out of the question...ehhe

Cheers,

Ado
Ado is offline Find More Posts by Ado
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:29 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Thanks - I was thinking something little like a big local park. I was going to check out White's Hill for example. There must be a park somewhere with the required slope - surely.....

My son and I go rc car racing at Pine Hills Sports Centre - a guy there reckons he has sloped his zagi on the hill running down from the carpark to the oval. I couldn't get my S2G Sprite to stay on the lift, but I think the bushes and light posts were putting my concentration off.

Thanks anyway for the reply.

Peter
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:48 AM
'sarp 'all
Canberra - Australia
Joined Mar 2003
336 Posts
if he flys a zagi he doesnt know what he is talking about!!!
VinceS is offline Find More Posts by VinceS
Old Sep 11, 2003, 02:00 AM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Vinces, thats not fair to say he doesnt know what hes talking about just because he chose to fly a ZAGI.
A guy in my local club flies a Zagi on the slope. When he comes to slope soar, its for fun, the rest of his flying is helicopters (he's sponsered by XCell Fury) from what Ive seen and he came third at a recent nationals I believe. We have the NSW state chopper comp on in 2 weekends time and he's the organiser and will probably win as well. Even with his Zagi he flies rings around us at the slope. Ive never seen any slope plane do 4 point rolls at 5 feet, as neat and crisp like this guy can.
So just because someone chooses not to fly something a bit exciting doesnt mean they dont know what theyre doing.

Peter,
MAFU and another (mind blank ?) guy here on this forum are from Brissy and say they have a slope 30min from Bris. In fact I just saw MAFU's online now so.... wait for it.....

Lancair

EDIT I used to live in Bris but wasnt flying RC at the time so places that come to mind are, MT Cootha, on the divided road section the slope to your left going up.It overlooks the quarry, I sat there and watched riverfire a few years ago. Mt Gravatt maybe ?
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Last edited by Lancair; Sep 11, 2003 at 02:04 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 02:18 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Thanks - given Vince's pic under his name I suspect he might have been pulling our legs.

I'm with you re Zagi flyers. This guy works in a local hobby shop in Brisbane and seems to know his stuff (he's also an rc heli pilot by coincidence). He gave my Spirit a toss and gave me some helpful tips on setting it up.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 04:52 AM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Young
Thanks - given Vince's pic under his name I suspect he might have been pulling our legs.
Yup, you're right, Vince IS the ZAGI KING! (He calls it an XR though.)

Jason (Running for the asbestos encased bunker as I type this...)
cobalt is offline Find More Posts by cobalt
Old Sep 11, 2003, 04:57 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
yep - we fly an XE. Can't beat the combat wings.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 05:03 AM
Ado
Meow?
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,574 Posts
Gavin is his name.....and he works at Hobbyrama.....I fly with him all the time. Hes good with the chopper but he doesnt compete with it though. Hes currently training for some pattern plane flying so he wont be flying slope much till after Nov.

I have been flying down at Shorncliffe last weekend....this weekend looks good too(in the afternoon). Lets all pray to the wind gods that its good.

Just received my mini-weasel today too....yay!

I used to race out at the jinka track about a year or 2 ago too...I always thought about taking a model out there on a windy day to see how it would go....would have to be fairly windy to get any decent lift from it....and its a westerly slope?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 05:13 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Wasn't Gavin - this was a young guy from Hobby Garage. I know Gavin a bit though, and bought my Spirit from him (partly because he put it together - can't beat good craftsmanship).

I keep meaning to get out and watch you guys slope at Shorncliffe. I tossed my (powered) combat wing off once and had a nice fly, but I suspect the wind was better for Redcliffe that day, and everyone was over the bridge. Not sure that I would toss an unpowered ship off the Shorncliffe cliff - even a foamie.
Last edited by Peter Young; Sep 11, 2003 at 05:15 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 06:13 AM
Ado
Meow?
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,574 Posts
ahh k. Dont know the guys at Hobby Garage all that well apart from Rod.

Shorncliffe is awesome in a NE wind but flyable from N to E winds. E-SSE winds are good for Redcliffe. Shorncliffe is a very easy place to fly at if you are compatent at flying slopies. Landing has a knack to it if you want to catch it but if you can aim your foamy at the nearest bush...you can land safely and without damage. Ofcourse you wouldnt do this with a crunchy though
Old Sep 11, 2003, 07:47 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Yup, you're right, Vince IS the ZAGI KING! (He calls it an XR though.)
Not true, I've flown his planes, they're all combat wings (XR and XL). Still, you never know, the best game keeper is a reformed poacher

Jason, the bombs already on its way, look tight, it should be getting there right about NOW

Steve
flyonline is online now Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Sep 12, 2003, 11:30 PM
Gravity always wins!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
681 Posts
Peter,

After Lancair's intro, I better get a move on and reply! Just been caught up with work the last couple of days!

Anyway, the spot I have been flying at was introduced to me by another Brisbane rcgroups member, Steve. Its at Clear Mountain, and overlooks the Pine RIvers. Great with a N or NE wind.

I'm only starting out, but am having a ball with all EPP wingwarrior Raiders. I've also got a ridgerunner in the works.

I'm at Taringa, so just near you - theres a possible spot at Mt Coothta, but like you, I don't want to risk rocks and bad landings just yet. The clear mountain spot is great with nice grass to land on, with the exception of the broken bottle that sliced my wing from nose to tail - Grrrr!

Anyway, would love to catch up sometime!

Matt
Mafu is offline Find More Posts by Mafu
Old Sep 13, 2003, 02:07 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Great stuff - I've got family at Aspley so I am often out near Clear Mountain. Good one.

Peter