HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined May 2010
62 Posts
Build Log
Burt Rutan Model 72, Grizzly

Having always been a fan of Burt Rutan's designs and after getting the chance to meet him at this year's Oshkosh I really wanted to build an RC airplane of one of his airplanes.

After much researching, I have settled on the model I would like to make, the Grizzly.

Only one Grizzly was built, N80RA, and its purpose was to test rather it would be a good idea to have canard STOL airplane as well as to test flaps could be used on a canard airplane. The plane was built, flew great and looked nice, but was determined to be a failure because it would not be capable of operating in the bush because of its low wing design.

Nonetheless, it is a historic plane that highlights the creativity of Burt Rutan, and I think that it looks pretty cool.

The plan is to build a 1:12 scale version (not a profile like other Eagle-RC.com designs) of the airplane. This will give it a wingspan of 34". I chose this size because I have a E-flite Park 400 outrunner motor and a 1350mAh 11.1V LiPo battery that I would like to use to power it. This combination typically works very well for an airplane of that size. The airplane structure will be built from 6mm depron with carbon fiber reinforcements and covered with 2mm depron.

I have never built an airplane with this configuration so will be a small profile paper model of the airplane to learn about its flying characteristics and to find the CG location of this very different airplane.

I will be using the free 2D CAD program, Dassault's DraftSight (I highly recommend it. It works the same as AutoCAD but is free) to layout the parts and the PDF plans. If I can get it to work on my computer, I will be using Autodesk's new 123d free 3D CAD program to model the parts of the airplane and to model the airplane assembly.

Anyway, I hope you will enjoy such a build. I hope to work through this project pretty quickly to get the Grizzly in the air soon!

Eagle-RC.com is offline Find More Posts by Eagle-RC.com
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:05 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
I love anything to do with Scaled Composites and Burt Rutan. He is my role model bar none.

I am looking very forward to this build!!!

Good luck!
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:48 PM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Sep 2009
1,835 Posts
Subbed. This looks like a great plane to build! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
chewbaccah is online now Find More Posts by chewbaccah
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:29 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Nov 2004
680 Posts
interesting project, I really like Rutan aircraft,I hope to see progress soon good job.
mesnick
mesnick is offline Find More Posts by mesnick
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:45 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,951 Posts
mesnick:

Beauty build! Are you going to do a build thread on that one?

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:17 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Nov 2004
680 Posts
mesnick:
Beauty build! Are you going to do a build thread on that one?
Dave-

Hi Dave
I did...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=mesnick
mesnick is offline Find More Posts by mesnick