HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:05 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Alert
Neu 22XX motors fatal design, check your setups!!!

This is important info for all 22XX owners, someone might get killed getting a Neu (un)powerd plane in the head.

I've not posted anything about this before as I wanted to give Steve a chance to pay for my expences and apologize... but he choose not to, even though it is his bad engineering skills who caused my setup to burn.

Funny thing this is NOT the first time, a friend got his motor damaged twice from Neu(maybe he will chip in too), still he continues selling them. The only offer I got was to ship the motor back so he could relocate the screws causing the fire...

Neu says they test all motors, and I believe them. But after installning it in the plane wiggeling the cables once or twice the motor was shortend by the screws holding the end cap, where Steve also been kind enough to put tie straps to make sure you get 100% rubbing against the screws

Steves ridiculous engineering skills costed me my $907 ESC where of he has no plans to compensate me ...just offering to relocate the screws... which after several other failed motor should not have been there in the first place. Luckily I never got the plane of the ground.

If you do something wrong YOU STAND FOR IT!!! as simple as that!!

I can not even use the motor as a paper weight as it's round and rolls away...

BEFORE YOU FLY YOUR NEU POWERD PLANE CHECK THE CABLES

henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:20 AM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
662 Posts
Can you visually see the screw ends on the inner side of the bell?

Ryan
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:07 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
That is bad, sorry about that Henke!

As a quick fix, could you use shorter screws ? and perhaps ad an extra layer or two of shrink tube ? (just thinking loud)
Jocke is offline Find More Posts by Jocke
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:18 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_t888 View Post
Can you visually see the screw ends on the inner side of the bell?

Ryan

Yes they stick out more then 1mm on the inside. You can clearly see they have dug into the wires, I will upload pix later.
Last edited by henke; Aug 30, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:24 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
That is bad, sorry about that Henke!

As a quick fix, could you use shorter screws ? and perhaps ad an extra layer or two of shrink tube ? (just thinking loud)
Motor is an easy fix (which Steve Neu should have implemented from the beginning). The $907 fried ESC on the other hand can not be fixed with duct tape.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:52 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Closeup pictures of the damage caused by the screws.

Old Aug 30, 2011, 01:36 PM
Impossible? Hah!
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
OMG. The screws also grab the weakest point on the endcap.
They should have been placed inbetween the holes where the structural integrity is the strongest. I showed this to the mec's at work and they laughed...
KreAture is offline Find More Posts by KreAture
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:53 PM
the seventh planet
Joined Dec 2010
468 Posts
that is a definate design flaw...
Edhs is offline Find More Posts by Edhs
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:22 AM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
991 Posts
I have had a couple of Neu motors were the motor wires rubbed on the can and shorted out the motor causing the motor to burn up. Once in an 1/8 scale bugggy, once in my 30% Yak and twice in my Kelly pylon plane. In all four cases the speed controll was fine. I believe its possible your controller went bad on its own but I know its hard to say. If all the motor, controller and lipo manufactors had to pay for every airplane, controller, batteries and equipment that went bad because of there product then they would not be in business for us to enjoy. I dont see how Neu can know for sure that this was his fault. I know I wouldn't be happy in your situation either but I think these are the risk we take to play in this hobby. I am trully sorry for your loss.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:16 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
I agree with you Mark about often the wrong item gets the blame. However when the evidence is there, you have no where to hide.

MGM compro who is the ESC manucaturer did search for the cause of the ESC beeing burnt, also the pictures talks for them selves.

This motor was almost $1300 before ending up on my porch, I would expect someone selling a product which is just about the most expensive RC-motor in the world to be able to do simple mechanic engineering, and if not atleast correct the misstake the first time, not continue selling the product.

Not even Hobbyking products come even close to this design flaw.

The thing is if I would have gone with their Hacker clone I would have saved $1907 and been hovering happily ever after. Funny is't it.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:52 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
991 Posts
I would say 90% of the time the Item is to blame but it doesn't change the fact that no manufactor can afford to replace evrything there Item broke. No manufactor has ever replaced anything other than there Item. Its part of the risk we take. By the way is your motor still working. If it is then your motor has not shorted out. If it did it would not still be working. I've seen way to many controllers burn up for no reason to say your did not because of some nicks in the wires. Its sad for both sides to say the least.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:01 PM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jul 2003
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
[SIZE="4"]

Funny thing this is NOT the first time, a friend got his motor damaged twice from Neu(maybe he will chip in too), still he continues selling them. The only offer I got was to ship the motor back so he could relocate the screws causing the fire...
OK, chipping in...

I ordered my motor from Esprit Models (excellent hobby shop by the way, end of commercial) but when it arrived there from Neu, Esprit observed that the heat shrink tubings on the wires were split where the wires exits the holes in the back plate. These holes have very sharp edges, and the heat shrink insulation is very thin and brittle. Esprit's opinion was that there was a very large risk of the wires shorting, and returned the motor to Neu for repair.
When they (Esprit) got it back, hey presto, same thing once more!
Esprit phoned me and asked if I wanted to fix it myself or if I wanted Neu to fix it, I told them to return it to Neu. Third time they sent it to me.
When I got the motor I noticed that it was very loosely packed in a cardboard box, and any movement of the box (it takes a lot of handling to get a box from the US to Norway) would cause the motor to rattle around, putting stress on the wires and "kinking" them around the outlet holes.
The back plate has eight holes, three small and five larger. On my motor, the wires come out of the three smaller holes. I noticed from the picture in post #1 that Henke's motor has the wires coming out of the larger holes, but I don't think this difference is significant. My motor also has the screws aligned with the holes rather than half way between the holes, and the screws also protrude about 1mm inside the can.

I sent an e-mail to Steven Neu at the time (spring 2010) and suggested that he change the heat shrink insulation tubing to something of a better quality, and maybe considered using some kind of rubber bushing or similar in the holes for the wires, just to prevent rubbing against the sharp edges. But of cours I did not get any reply to this.

I bought the Neu 2230 motor for a 36% 3W Votec 322, but due to all the problems and delays I borrowed a Plettenberg Predator 30/8 from a good friend and installed this in the model. In the evening after the maiden flight I had to call my friend and break the sad news that he was never going to get his motor back...

Magne
Magne is offline Find More Posts by Magne
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:38 PM
Tech freak
Sundsvall Midlanda, Sweden
Joined Aug 2002
502 Posts
My first thought is very unintelligent screw placement. Could there be some other reason for it? Seems so obvious and stupid that I have a hard time to believe it to be without reason.

Regardsless, it is disappointing to hear similar older stories and a problem still going.
I'll have to check the motor I got laying around. (smaller size tho)

Thanks for posting this heads up Henke, and sorry for your loss.
Wheazel is offline Find More Posts by Wheazel
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:55 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
662 Posts
If the motor shorted across those screws it still should be working. The short would have not gone in to the motor past those screws. The esc can't win on that one. The short would be directly on the main leads.

Ryan
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:35 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
I would say 90% of the time the Item is to blame but it doesn't change the fact that no manufactor can afford to replace evrything there Item broke. No manufactor has ever replaced anything other than there Item. Its part of the risk we take. By the way is your motor still working. If it is then your motor has not shorted out. If it did it would not still be working. I've seen way to many controllers burn up for no reason to say your did not because of some nicks in the wires. Its sad for both sides to say the least.

Mark
I did also promote Neu before as this concept of motor does put out the most power per weight. What I did't know was the level of Steves engineering skills.

I visited MWE back in 2005 and asked the Hacker guys about Neu motors, if they were any good. Now I know why they did't say anything, I had to ask again and only got the short answer "they better be"